Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MBRP Exhaust and NC State Inspection

I wanted to put in an MBRP system. Not going to change the downpipe. Will this cause any issues with my inspection in NC?

Thanks for the help. I am new here.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
If you are in one of the 22 counties that require emissions inspection, this is what the emissions inspection consists of:
Emissions. - An emissions inspection of a motor vehicle consists of a visual inspection of the vehicle's emissions control devices to determine if the devices are present, are properly connected, and are the correct type for the vehicle and an analysis of data provided by the on-board diagnostic (OBD) equipment installed by the vehicle manufacturer to identify any deterioration or malfunction in the operation of the vehicle that violates standards for the model year of the vehicle set by the Environmental Management Commission. To pass an emissions inspection a vehicle must pass both the visual inspection and the OBD analysis. When an emissions inspection is performed on a vehicle, a safety inspection must be performed on the vehicle as well.
Since all the emissions parts on the Fiesta ST are from the catalytic convertor downpipe and upstream, the catback exhaust doesn't matter from an emissions standpoint. The OBD inspection would be looking for emissions related codes like P0420 or O2 sensor codes, MAF sensor codes, etc.

The safety inspection, required in all counties says this:
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler, or other exhaust system of the type installed at the time of manufacture, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, annoying smoke and smoke screens.
(b) It shall be unlawful to use a “muffler cut-out” on any motor vehicle upon a highway.
So you'd have to have an exhaust system of the same type as OEM, i.e. pipe from cat, exiting at rear of car, containing muffler(s) without cutout devices.

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
If you are in one of the 22 counties that require emissions inspection, this is what the emissions inspection consists of:

Since all the emissions parts on the Fiesta ST are from the catalytic convertor downpipe and upstream, the catback exhaust doesn't matter from an emissions standpoint. The OBD inspection would be looking for emissions related codes like P0420 or O2 sensor codes, MAF sensor codes, etc.

The safety inspection, required in all counties says this:

So you'd have to have an exhaust system of the same type as OEM, i.e. pipe from cat, exiting at rear of car, containing muffler(s) without cutout devices.

So the only difference would be that I had no resonator I guess.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Simple way to find out would be to ask someone at a garage that does state inspections whether not having a resonator matters.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I live in North Carolina. Never had a issue with a Cat-Back exhaust during inspection.

I wouldn't recommend that exhaust though.
Multiple people have not been happy with it. It produces a lot of drone.
I personally have a fswerks exhaust.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If you care about that type of thing sure.
My fswerks cat back exhaust no issues, and no resonator.
I'm sure there is some drone that you could pick up, but my wife and I have no problems with it.

North Carolina is not uptight with inspections.

Erick_V

Please don't put the MBRP on your car, you'll regret it lol. It's get old so quick, trust me. Once I get my flanges and some free time I'm welding the flanges to my stock exhaust and putting it back on my car. The MBRP will probably end up in the garbage, keeping the tips though. Sure, its loud and sounds cool(ish) like 10% of the time. However, the other 90% of the time you're that guy and you'll wish you spent the $400 elsewhere. Put that money aside for a better exhaust. Or delete the resonator on your stock exhaust for cheap and you'll get a little more sound.

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
If you care about that type of thing sure.
My fswerks cat back exhaust no issues, and no resonator.
I'm sure there is some drone that you could pick up, but my wife and I have no problems with it.

North Carolina is not uptight with inspections.

Thanks. I ordered the Thermal R&D. After digging a little bit more, I narrowed it down to FS Werks, Greddy, and Thermal R&D. I couldn't find a single negative review on any of those three.