Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Ive been on Falken ze950 205/5016 all season tires for over 500 miles that i bought from amazon and couldnt be happier. Love how they handle the dry and wet. Hoping they do well in light snow and slush this winter.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I recommend the 205/45/16 but would prefer them on a 7.5 or 8" wide wheel though a 7" will work and in some ways better for inclement weather.

The 50 series is 1lb heavier, slightly wider, .8" taller at 24" but I have been running the Mich even a bit taller just fine.

For most situations I prefer a 195 on a 7" wide wheel, 205 on 8, 225 on 9, though at some point I may run 275 slicks on 11" wheels, really:)

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I recommend the 205/45/16 but would prefer them on a 7.5 or 8" wide wheel though a 7" will work and in some ways better for inclement weather.

The 50 series is 1lb heavier, slightly wider, .8" taller at 24" but I have been running the Mich even a bit taller just fine.

For most situations I prefer a 195 on a 7" wide wheel, 205 on 8, 225 on 9, though at some point I may run 275 slicks on 11" wheels, really:)
I run 50series because i live in nyc. Need wheel protection for potholes and curbs plus it fills the wheel gap nicely and with a 14 lb wheel the combo weight is way lighter then stock wheels and tires

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I run 50series because i live in nyc. Need wheel protection for potholes and curbs plus it fills the wheel gap nicely and with a 14 lb wheel the combo weight is way lighter then stock wheels and tires
Yeah same thing I'm thinking with the dc roads. And I'm running 195 on 6.5 now and want wider for better traction and contact patch.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just looked up the Falcon, they make some very good tires, I have used some on trucks but not on cars, good choice in the size for where you live!

14lb wheel is a great weight so your combo is just over 34lbs, excellent:)

-------------

Wider is better unless rain or snow then narrow is better;)

When talking about grip there are things to consider like ultimate stick or ultimate feedback and control which is generally going to be faster and safer to a degree. The tire and wheel widths I posted are pretty much the best way to go for your summer tires or AS you want to push a bit hard in the summer but for the rest of the year, more curb protection, etc...a 205 on a 7 is a wise choice and not a big compromise for summer so likely best for your needs.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I just looked up the Falcon, they make some very good tires, I have used some on trucks but not on cars, good choice in the size for where you live!

14lb wheel is a great weight so your combo is just over 34lbs, excellent:)

-------------

Wider is better unless rain or snow then narrow is better;)

When talking about grip there are things to consider like ultimate stick or ultimate feedback and control which is generally going to be faster and safer to a degree. The tire and wheel widths I posted are pretty much the best way to go for your summer tires or AS you want to push a bit hard in the summer but for the rest of the year, more curb protection, etc...a 205 on a 7 is a wise choice and not a big compromise for summer so likely best for your needs.
Sounds good. I'm going with 205/50 bfg comps 2s on 16x7. Seems to be a good choice, performance and looks wise.

Great choices!

I have recommended those wheels a number of times, they are well make, pretty light, well priced, look great. They are made by Konig, I have the 17" Konig Feather which is very similar and really like them but was going to sell them and the Mich PS-3 A/S and get 16's or even 15's in Konig Helix. I swapped to 4x100 right after getting the car late winter in 2014.

The tires are great as well, if I go to 16's I will get them for sure, if 15's I have to pick something else and the best for my needs is the Kumho X4 II but I would rather have the BFG's
Thanks RAAM. You are partially responsible for this, luckily the wife is onboard. I saw your recommendation of the Winners about a month ago while digging through tons of posts. The weight is reasonable and Konig is a respectable manufacturer so I feel good.

The added sidewall should keep me out of trouble on our notoriously poor Houston side streets. I went with the A/S because it can get pretty wet here on the south coast but winter is super mild.

If you guys have a little extra left in the bank or are responsible with a credit card now seems like a great time to buy.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thanks RAAM. You are partially responsible for this, luckily the wife is onboard. I saw your recommendation of the Winners about a month ago while digging through tons of posts. The weight is reasonable and Konig is a respectable manufacturer so I feel good.

The added sidewall should keep me out of trouble on our notoriously poor Houston side streets. I went with the A/S because it can get pretty wet here on the south coast but winter is super mild.

If you guys have a little extra left in the bank or are responsible with a credit card now seems like a great time to buy.
I'm getting my set of bfg comps for around 380 shipped from tire rack. That's not including the 70 buck mail in rebate card. I think that's a great deal. They're be sitting all winter but better to save cash now.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Glad I can help:) I have done this hundreds of times for myself, really, do not know it all but fairly well figured it out but still research a great deal every time I make a decision as tires and proper wheels are the most important part of any vehicle.

Though not quite as great a tire the General G-max AS-03 is still a good tire and 3lbs lighter though Tirerack rounds the number up or down a bit.
The Kumho X4 II is 2lbs lighter and rated better than the G-Max but the general is the best of the three.

-------------

Konig has been around a very long time and always had a good rep and now their Roll formed race quality wheels are the best value to be found if they make sizes one needs there is no reason to spend the money on forged race or street wheels. To bad only 15 and 17's, no 16's and only 4x100 for most of them. The Maxxim and Feather are great cast wheels, no worries running them at all and I have had big bucks forged wheels, some custom made even, never again, just to much money and not really worth it.

------------

I have ten 15x9 Helix, roll formed, 13.4lbs, cost $1240 shipped!
I want to order five 15x7 of the same wheels, 11lbs, right now just $578 shipped but not further discount for today so no rush.

I am on the list of those interested in the TD 16x8 wheels so waiting to see what happens there before I go to the Helix 15x7.

C. love

I personally think the G-max is junk. The grip isnt there cold, they are a mid grade tire, and they cant stand much heat without loosing what grip they do have. I would think for the fiesta you have two sets of tires if its your daily. Summer and winter tires. G-max for a place that has a mild winter ok sure but as a performance summer on a car that is suppose to carve canyons a bit no thanks! thats as race car as i will get lol

On to my question anyone running a 215/45 on a 17x8? Id like some meatier tires when I get some tires next and a few of the favorite tires actually come in a meaty 215/45. I see lots of people run a 215/45 on 7's and 7.5's I am thinking with a fairly tame offset I will be golden but figured I would see what guys are running before I break down and borrow 1 for a test fitting

C. love

google is my friend

215/45/17 BFG rival (which i cant seem to find for sale--IIRC tirerack was the exclusive seller on these) looks like lowered you may run into rubbing issues. anyone have thoughts/input? I am only on lowering springs

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
google is my friend

215/45/17 BFG rival (which i cant seem to find for sale--IIRC tirerack was the exclusive seller on these) looks like lowered you may run into rubbing issues. anyone have thoughts/input? I am only on lowering springs

About the gmax tires, had them in 205/45/17 and hated them in light snow, good in rain no hydroplain, and in dry cornering too much flex with the soft sidewall.

With such short gearing 215/45 is a little too extreme dont ya think? At that high rotational mass must feel like crap accelerating from stop.

C. love

With such short gearing 215/45 is a little too extreme dont ya think? At that high rotational mass must feel like crap accelerating from stop.

Dare i say for me its a look thing? The tire is 15mm taller than the 205 and sure they will weigh more but i am not modding this car to whittle my autocross times down so those consequences arent high on my list. I am also pretty sure unless I am comparing track times the difference wont be felt.

In addition the 215-45 has so many tire options. The 215-40 has a fee
options too though

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have read pretty good things, not great, about the G-Max in the past but it has been surpassed by better tires in the category and price point it seems, read more recent reviews on it. Unless one lives in a constant climate there is not much we can do about having one set of wheels and tires to do it all, I have 3.5 sets for that vary reason, AS, summer, track.

I have 205/45/15 Mich PS-3 A/S which are 24.3" tall and 225/45/15 Rival S which are 23" tall and weigh about the same but lower weight wheels on the 15s. There is a huge difference in grip of course but not only that, when not in full boost where it masks it a bit the car rides better, stops better, handles better and just simply feels far more nimble and responsive to all inputs. Tire diameter and weight make far more difference than most would think but once you have experienced it there is considerable changes one can truly appreciate and it is not always about the fastest time around a track, I do not track the Rival S and do not make all out canyon runs either but sure love them on the car.

C. love

Id love to base my choices of wheels for this car on weight but in the end without swapping to a different bolt pattern the light wheels in a 4x108 are, in my opinion, ugly. I gave some high consideration to the tr-10 but in the end the looks are less than that of the OEM wheel. I ended up swapping wheels but they are the same weight as the OEM but wider. In the end on this car a look is what Im going for but also want to compromise as little as possiable.

Tire wise after looking, measuring and thinking where the offset will place the tire in relation to the fender a 45 series simply wont work. So 215/40 it is.

I know what you are saying C. love. I kinda miss my 17's but the ride of my new setup has me really happy. The taught ride is still there but it has taken the edge off of the seams in the road as well as the poor pothole repairs.

205/50-16 B F Goodrich Comp-2 A/S on 16x7 Maxxim Winner.

I'll replace these pics with better lighting/angles soon.