Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Michelin Pilot Super Sport 205/45ZR17/XL

Magnetic

Hey guys/gals,

I’m trying to find a tire that has turn in like the OEM RE050A. I see these Michelin’s are 205/45’s and was wondering if anyone has ran these? (On 17 in OEM wheels)

TIA!

29FBDB03-905B-417F-BD5E-E01B98111D95.png

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #3
They are taller so not likely the same turn in but Michelin are great tires.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yeah my dad always raves about these tires. Do you know of any others in 205/45/17 that run like the RE050A's?

I just had 660's put on the car but I like the turn in in the OEM tires much more. Feel like I've been chasing a tire that felt that good for a while now LoL

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You do not want to run a 205/45 I would suspect that a 205/40 Pilot Super Sport would have equal turn in to stock but quite honestly there are several tires equal in turn for a lot less. . You might want to look at Falken RT615’s or Dunlop Dirizza DIII’s or even a set Falken RT660’s that is what I have on my car and turn in is awesome.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yeah my dad always raves about these tires. Do you know of any others in 205/45/17 that run like the RE050A's?

I just had 660's put on the car but I like the turn in in the OEM tires much more. Feel like I've been chasing a tire that felt that good for a while now LoL
Seriously you do not like the turn in on the 660’s? Did you go 205/40 or 215/40? Also stock suspension ? Camber? Played with tire pressure?

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #6
Seriously you do not like the turn in on the 660’s? Did you go 205/40 or 215/40? Also stock suspension ? Camber? Played with tire pressure?
I do like them but I also miss the sharpness of the OEM's. They felt like the steering was reading my mind and moving the car as my brain thought it. haha

I have stock suspension right now but coils going on soon. Only think I did so far was increase the air pressure to 42. I might go to 45 and see how that feels. I went 205/40/17

The 660's feel really good as well but a little less responsive to steering inputs. I've only put like 100 miles on them so I'm still getting to know them.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You do not want to run a 205/45 I would suspect that a 205/40 Pilot Super Sport would have equal turn in to stock but quite honestly there are several tires equal in turn for a lot less. . You might want to look at Falken RT615’s or Dunlop Dirizza DIII’s or even a set Falken RT660’s that is what I have on my car and turn in is awesome.
Michelin has never 'blessed' us with a PSS in our OEM (or even a 215/40-17) size, EVER, hence why he must go to the 205/45 in order to use that particular tire. [:(]

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I do like them but I also miss the sharpness of the OEM's. They felt like the steering was reading my mind and moving the car as my brain thought it. haha

I have stock suspension right now but coils going on soon. Only think I did so far was increase the air pressure to 42. I might go to 45 and see how that feels. I went 205/40/17

The 660's feel really good as well but a little less responsive to steering inputs. I've only put like 100 miles on them so I'm still getting to know them.
Like Magnetic said with the 660's I also feel a little more "float" if thats the proper way, on my ZIII's. They arent bad at all and traction is better on a pull but at lower to medium speeds they dont feel as sharp as the OEM bridgestones.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #9
Like Magnetic said with the 660's I also feel a little more "float" if thats the proper way, on my ZIII's. They arent bad at all and traction is better on a pull but at lower to medium speeds they dont feel as sharp as the OEM bridgestones.
Yup, exactly what I mean. I just found that discount tire still has some RE050A’s still in inventory. I might grab a pair and throw them on the front and leave the 660’s in the rear.

I’ve heard we’re not supposed to mix tires but if that’s what I takes to get that crisp turning input, so shall it be 😂

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Now I am soooo glad that I never had the Potenzas on this car (ordered right from the factory with the all season Pilot Sports) to 'feel' what I've been missing. LOL

Even the 205/50-16 Neo Gens on an 8" wide wheel feel plenty 'sharp' to me on turn-in, when pumped up to the higher pressures I run in them.

I mean it is an ELECTRIC steering rack people, albeit YES, a very good one, but still, it is only going to have so much bleeding edge 'sharpness' and direct precision anyway. [wink]

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #11
Now I am soooo glad that I never had the Potenzas on this car (ordered right from the factory with the all season Pilot Sports) to 'feel' what I've been missing. LOL

Even the 205/50-16 Neo Gens on an 8" wide wheel feel plenty 'sharp' to me on turn-in, when pumped up to the higher pressures I run in them.

I mean it is an ELECTRIC steering rack people, albeit YES, a very good one, but still, it is only going to have so much bleeding edge 'sharpness' and direct precision anyway. [wink]
I’ll tell you, those potenzas are razor sharp. I agree that you’re better off not knowing what those feel like lol

So sharp that you really do believe the car starts turning before you even touch the wheel. Extremely darty and so satisfying.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I’ll tell you, those potenzas are razor sharp. I agree that you’re better off not knowing what those feel like lol

So sharp that you really do believe the car starts turning before you even touch the wheel. Extremely darty and so satisfying.
All you need to get back that razor sharpness really is a little bit of negative camber. Get some camber bolts and dial in about 1.5-1.7 degrees negative and your turn in will be sharp again. The shear grip of the 660 is miles above the RE50. Ya the RE50 has turn in but grip wise it cannot hold a candle to the Falken‘s.
P.S. don’t worry that little bit of negative camber is not going to hurt your eyes you will not even see it. :LOL:

Oh and ya I do not use negative camber for looks I use it for handling and quite honestly when I had 2.5 degrees of negative camber on my front end the turn in was absolutely insane and miles above stock. In fact I am dialing it back up to 2.3 here after running 2.0 for awhile due to that very fact. I am addicted to sharp turn and I am running RT660’s.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Yup, exactly what I mean. I just found that discount tire still has some RE050A’s still in inventory. I might grab a pair and throw them on the front and leave the 660’s in the rear.

I’ve heard we’re not supposed to mix tires but if that’s what I takes to get that crisp turning input, so shall it be 😂
Where did you see Discount Tire having them available? When I looked on their website, and said they were available in the OEM size, but it also said they were $1,055 each! I called and asked them what that meant, and they said that it actually means they're not available.
On Discount Tire Direct, their more online oriented website, they show them as being out of stock, and say to call for ETA. When I did that they said they had no idea when they would be available.
I'm going to need tires before too long, and have been looking for the Potenza RE050As for the reasons that you guys mentioned, the quick turn in. So far the search has been very frustrating. As I mentioned on another thread, the tires are like Bigfoot- reputed to exist, but no one's ever actually seen them.
Going back to the original post, I have had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on another car, and they are excellent tires. I would not hesitate to get them if they were just available in the OEM size.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #14
All you need to get back that razor sharpness really is a little bit of negative camber. Get some camber bolts and dial in about 1.5-1.7 degrees negative and your turn in will be sharp again. The shear grip of the 660 is miles above the RE50. Ya the RE50 has turn in but grip wise it cannot hold a candle to the Falken‘s.
P.S. don’t worry that little bit of negative camber is not going to hurt your eyes you will not even see it. :LOL:

Oh and ya I do not use negative camber for looks I use it for handling and quite honestly when I had 2.5 degrees of negative camber on my front end the turn in was absolutely insane and miles above stock. In fact I am dialing it back up to 2.3 here after running 2.0 for awhile due to that very fact. I am addicted to sharp turn and I am running RT660’s.
HaHa Ok I'll be down to give a minimum camber setup just to see what you're talking about as far as steering input. Let's see what the hype is all about. LoL (I really hope I dont become a believer but at the same time I need that turn in LoL)

Any recommendations on camber bolts? Does it add any additional wear to suspension components?

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #15
Where did you see Discount Tire having them available? When I looked on their website, and said they were available in the OEM size, but it also said they were $1,055 each! I called and asked them what that meant, and they said that it actually means they're not available.
On Discount Tire Direct, their more online oriented website, they show them as being out of stock, and say to call for ETA. When I did that they said they had no idea when they would be available.
I'm going to need tires before too long, and have been looking for the Potenza RE050As for the reasons that you guys mentioned, the quick turn in. So far the search has been very frustrating. As I mentioned on another thread, the tires are like Bigfoot- reputed to exist, but no one's ever actually seen them.
Going back to the original post, I have had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on another car, and they are excellent tires. I would not hesitate to get them if they were just available in the OEM size.
The Discount Tire site I was on said they could arrive at my neighborhood discount tire in 3-5 days out here in Tempe AZ.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
P.S. don’t worry that little bit of negative camber is not going to hurt your eyes you will not even see it. [emoji38]

And the inside edge tire wear with that much camber?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
HaHa Ok I'll be down to give a minimum camber setup just to see what you're talking about as far as steering input. Let's see what the hype is all about. LoL (I really hope I dont become a believer but at the same time I need that turn in LoL)

Any recommendations on camber bolts? Does it add any additional wear to suspension components?
there are a number of brands I am assuming your on stock suspension or springs only. I run Coils so I do not need them.
HR has some , Whiteline sells some, Ron has a few different brands on the Whoosh site. Why are you so afraid of a little camber? :LOL: Its not like your joining the mega stance decamber crowd.
I happen to like the look of slightly de cambered wheels.

Of course I drove IRS cars since High school so I am used to seeing de cambered wheels. Hell they even made kits to take some of the negative camber out of lowered IRS setups because it was too much.

I am personally not a fan of extreme negative camber for the sake of looks though either as its a useless functionally. I also think it looks dumb as its obviously not functional.

I am all about functional mods when it comes to suspension. If it does not function its out the door.

And the inside edge tire wear with that much camber?

Ah ya on our cars surprisingly enough its not really an issue. It has a lot to do with how a cars suspension is designed stock to the severity of inside tire wear and toe issues will cause much more wear issues than 2-2.5 degrees of negative camber on our cars.

Last edited:
OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #18
Upped tire pressure to 45PSI in the fronts and 43PSI on the rears. Feels a bit better but marginally. The DNA racing arms are what might have to be next after coils.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Upped tire pressure to 45PSI in the fronts and 43PSI on the rears. Feels a bit better but marginally. The DNA racing arms are what might have to be next after coils.
If you are going Coilovers do not bother with camber bolts unless you are not getting them soon. Coilover’s usually have camber plates up top as well as camber adjustment ability on the bottom.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #20
If you are going Coilovers do not bother with camber bolts unless you are not getting them soon. Coilover’s usually have camber plates up top as well as camber adjustment ability on the bottom.
good to know, thanks!