Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Tune Characteristics or just FiST Characteristics

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I think the good news is that that it's an unmarried AP. The OP can put any tune they want on it.
That said, mountune knows what they're doing. If the OP likes the tune, no reason to mess with it.
Ya I was not suggesting anyone should I was just mentioning it was a Beta. That is a bit unusual.
It was more Randy knew what he was doing. lol He no longer works there and they are not offering tunes anymore. I was told that personally.
Anyways he got an open AP with the car which is a bonus. He can put whatever he wants on it and can run whats on it in the meantime.

OP
358R

358R

Thread Starter #22
I think the good news is that that it's an unmarried AP. The OP can put any tune they want on it.
That said, mountune knows what they're doing. If the OP likes the tune, no reason to mess with it.
Yea, it seems like a pretty good tune. It definitely raises hell for something so small. Comes on strong and comes on very fast. Watched the digital boost gauge for all 0.1 seconds that I could while attempting to drive. If it's correct, it's hitting every bit of 25psi. Most boost i've ever had in a car, no question.

OP
358R

358R

Thread Starter #23
I do want to ask, if you could do it again, would you still do a Mountune tune? I know a lot of other folks are big on their own tuners (some of the folks listed our vendors section...Dizzy, Stratified, etc). Just curious.

Mikey456

I did some research about the different tunes and ended up with none...lol. It’s in the performance tuning section of the forum. I would uninstall the tune and go to stock as a baseline because the tunes can change the throttle response. Than you can decide which is the best tune for you by downloading the various tunes. Some tuners prefer that u change to one step colder plugs. You could look at the v-Dyno results to see what kind of powerband u will be getting with a tune. Sometimes a tune that delivers more torque and ultra quick response will give u more traction problems in the lower gears.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I do want to ask, if you could do it again, would you still do a Mountune tune? I know a lot of other folks are big on their own tuners (some of the folks listed our vendors section...Dizzy, Stratified, etc). Just curious.
I just got the MP215 "safe tune" and I'm happy with it. I have no experience with any other tunes. It was fairly expensive for what it is, but I really wanted the intake. It's probably as good as it gets for a "stage 1" tune.

I think it was worth the money and I'd do it again.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ya I have now decided to get my s280 big turbo tune done locally by a known Installer tuner who has a Dyno at the shop and will do it on the Dyno the way it should be. I just decided I didn’t want to mess with datalog‘s and files sent back and forth. Previously I was gonna go with Adam at Tune+ nothing about him swayed me away. What did was the decision for a local doing it on a dyno who has tuned many of these cars.

Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ya I have now decided to get my s280 big turbo tune done locally by a known Installer tuner who has a Dyno at the shop and will do it on the Dyno the way it should be. I just decided I didn’t want to mess with datalog‘s and files sent back and forth. Previously I was gonna go with Adam at Tune+ nothing abut him swayed me away. What did was the decision for a local doing it on a dyno who has tuned many of these cars.
That sounds really cool. Get some pics, and let's see some dyno action!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just got the MP215 "safe tune" and I'm happy with it. I have no experience with any other tunes. It was fairly expensive for what it is, but I really wanted the intake. It's probably as good as it gets for a "stage 1" tune.

I think it was worth the money and I'd do it again.
There are times when I am sorry that I did not just go with the MP215 (when they were still offered) and be done with it. [:(]

I really was planning on a turbo upgrade in the (far) future when I first got into this ride, so I figured that an unlocked/multiple tune capable AP was the way to go.

But, after seeing some of the problems/grenaded engines/etc. with some BT setups (including even the much vaunted/very reliable S280), I am getting more and more reluctant all of the time about going that route (even on a mild/'safe' tune and goals), this being my only car, and daily driver.

At this point, IF I were to go S280, it would be installed, and tuned right on the spot, on a dyno by either Mitch (IF he would have access to a dyno and is doing installs at that point), or Jason at Dizzy (IF he does actual turbo installs way out there near the North Fork of the eastern Island), just like Dpro above is doing. [wink] [thumb]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I will say this. There are certain things people need to start taking into account after watching all this go on for awhille.

1. Some people push their boost hard or even too hard for the setup.

Sometimes they do this knowingly , Another S280 owner readily admitted that he went 34lbs boost before he blew his engine. Thats a pretty high boost for a car driven daily or on the street and one that is expected to be reliable . Thats pretty much I am racing and going for as much as can territory.

2. Tunes through the internet can be safe as long as one does not pursue #1

Alas many do get tempted to push things and play hard . My friend knowingly kept his boost level tuned to 24lbs max on his S242 . That made his car fast but reliable it still felt great he even said Adam was a little let down when he told him he did not want to tune to 26lbs. lol

3. Aux fuel not properly controlled will blow your intake mani up.
This is another thing that has happened unintentionally . Though Aux fuel mapped right by the tuner will not do this. This is where dyno tuning on a dyno and not email revisions is really a benefit.

So what is my takeaway? My Takeaway is tune local , tune reasonable , follow simple AR guidelines and do not go boost crazy.
Used to see the same things happen in the 240sx world with SR20’s again engines that came factory turbo, engines that could handle 400 hp on a stock block . Engines that at 300 hp could be daily driven for a long time.
The same goes for our engines If you put some boundaries and restraints on yourself you should be able to have a lasting bigger turbo setup .. Some have done usually the ones that have not have bended the boundaries and rules.

YMMV

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
There are times when I am sorry that I did not just go with the MP215 (when they were still offered) and be done with it. [:(]

I really was planning on a turbo upgrade in the (far) future when I first got into this ride, so I figured that an unlocked/multiple tune capable AP was the way to go.

But, after seeing some of the problems/grenaded engines/etc. with some BT setups (including even the much vaunted/very reliable S280), I am getting more and more reluctant all of the time about going that route (even on a mild/'safe' tune and goals), this being my only car, and daily driver.

At this point, IF I were to go S280, it would be installed, and tuned right on the spot, on a dyno by either Mitch (IF he would have access to a dyno and is doing installs at that point), or Jason at Dizzy (IF he does actual turbo installs way out there near the North Fork of the eastern Island), just like Dpro above is doing. [wink] [thumb]
The Mountune MP215 tune is still shown as being for sale on their website. I have been very happy with mine, it's a nice extra boost of power, nothing crazy, but noticeable. On the topic in this thread, throttle response, I feel that it does add some extra responsiveness too.
The fact that it preserves the warranty gives me some peace of mind, because I feel that it's not going to adversely affect the durability of the car. It's been well tested, and Ford used essentially the same thing for its factory European ST200 versions of our car.
https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-St-Mp215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm

CSM

1000 Post Club
MP215 wasn't so bad. Took me from 179whp to 188whp dyno proven IIRC. Then I did dizzy 93 tune and hit 200whp. Then I did the turbo and hit 280whp on E30 lol

EDIT Hey this is my 1,000th post! lol

Last edited:

Se7eN

I will say this. There are certain things people need to start taking into account after watching all this go on for awhille.

1. Some people push their boost hard or even too hard for the setup.

Sometimes they do this knowingly , Another S280 owner readily admitted that he went 34lbs boost before he blew his engine. Thats a pretty high boost for a car driven daily or on the street and one that is expected to be reliable . Thats pretty much I am racing and going for as much as can territory.

2. Tunes through the internet can be safe as long as one does not pursue #1

Alas many do get tempted to push things and play hard . My friend knowingly kept his boost level tuned to 24lbs max on his S242 . That made his car fast but reliable it still felt great he even said Adam was a little let down when he told him he did not want to tune to 26lbs. lol

3. Aux fuel not properly controlled will blow your intake mani up.
This is another thing that has happened unintentionally . Though Aux fuel mapped right by the tuner will not do this. This is where dyno tuning on a dyno and not email revisions is really a benefit.

So what is my takeaway? My Takeaway is tune local , tune reasonable , follow simple AR guidelines and do not go boost crazy.
Used to see the same things happen in the 240sx world with SR20’s again engines that came factory turbo, engines that could handle 400 hp on a stock block . Engines that at 300 hp could be daily driven for a long time.
The same goes for our engines If you put some boundaries and restraints on yourself you should be able to have a lasting bigger turbo setup .. Some have done usually the ones that have not have bended the boundaries and rules.

YMMV
I agree with most of this. I tuned local did not wan to go past the Map sensor limit for boost. Still blew up a turbo trying to get as close a possible to the 29psi. I have tuned remotely during COVID with the same tuner that's always tuned the car. It's safe and reliable. It's been BT for 2 years with no engine issues. For the Aux part, well that's why I went 4 port it doesn't bunch up gas on the manifold. Also prefer street tune rather than Dyno cause Load on the street is different than on a dyno. But I do dyno just after the tune.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
The Mountune MP215 tune is still shown as being for sale on their website. I have been very happy with mine, it's a nice extra boost of power, nothing crazy, but noticeable. On the topic in this thread, throttle response, I feel that it does add some extra responsiveness too.

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-St-Mp215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm
After I installed it, I took it out to a local twisty road and was very surprised at the difference. I think the dyno chart mountune has for it is close to accurate. It really had more shove. What I also liked is that it cuts boost in the first 2 gears, just like stock (but not as much as stock). Mine's a DD, not a race car, and I'm not hard on the drivetrain, anyway. It just has more torque everywhere and doesn't fizzle out at the top end, on those rare occasions when I rev it out. People say it's the tune it should have come with stock, and I agree. With the shift kit and RMM, it just moves along with no effort, and I don't even have the AP in the car. It likes 93, but it runs fine on 91 when that's all I can get. Nothing to adjust or fiddle with. No difference in mileage, either.

I was looking a Mustangs and Challengers too, when I got it. They're amazing. I can afford a faster car, and to buy more gas, but this car won me over on the first test drive. I knew I'd like it, but I really liked it. Screw the gas guzzlers, I want fun.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I have never regretted the money spent on the MP-215. Well spent and like others have never even plugged the AP back in. Never worried about the annual inspection here. Performance was a nice bump over stock. Put 4k miles on it this summer and love it like it was brand new! Have a Mountune radiator waiting to go into car.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have never regretted the money spent on the MP-215. Well spent and like others have never even plugged the AP back in. Never worried about the annual inspection here. Performance was a nice bump over stock. Put 4k miles on it this summer and love it like it was brand new! Have a Mountune radiator waiting to go into car.
You bring up another good point. The tune was CARB approved for the first 3 years, and if you live in a state with inspections, it'll pass emissions, whatever year you have.

We share this planet with trillions of other living things that need clean air.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You bring up another good point. The tune was CARB approved for the first 3 years, and if you live in a state with inspections, it'll pass emissions, whatever year you have.

We share this planet with trillions of other living things that need clean air.
I actually considered buying it because of that but when Ford and Mountune kind of simultaneously axed the support after 2016 . I was screwed. So here I am today lol going big turbo knowing I have another 6 years before an actual smog test.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I actually considered buying it because of that but when Ford and Mountune kind of simultaneously axed the support after 2016 . I was screwed. So here I am today lol going big turbo knowing I have another 6 years before an actual smog test.
6 years is a long time. Well, not really, but for a car it is.
If you can't smog it, you can always sell it. Or forget about a license plate and just race it.