Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Kumho Ecsta AST - Anyone run them?

TheStig

Ive ran these tires on my 07 Civic SI sedan and even for a time on my Mazdaspeed3, are they any good for our car? Ive been looking at BFG Gforce Sport Comp 2's but the Ecsta's are about $380 for me installed with Road Hazard (which ive used several times, hence why i get it), and the BFG's are $600 total OTD with road hazard.

Ecsta - http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?ra=searchTiresBySize.do&fl=&tc=KUMHH0&c=0&rcz=85021&pc=33660&ar=40&rf=true&rd=17&rc=AZWINT&cs=205

BFG GForce Sport Comp 2 - http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?ra=searchTiresBySize.do&fl=&tc=MTAHZ5&c=0&rcz=85021&pc=37061&ar=40&rf=true&rd=17&rc=AZWINT&cs=205

So if anyone runs the Ecsta please chime in with your experience and longevity. Im not kidding myself, it seems obvious the better performing tire is the BFG one. But is it 30$ a tire performing better?

Appreciate your help guis!

I hear that Kumho is ok but nothing really special about this tire. For a DD, I think it is a good tire.

Ive ran these tires on my 07 Civic SI sedan and even for a time on my Mazdaspeed3, are they any good for our car? Ive been looking at BFG Gforce Sport Comp 2's but the Ecsta's are about $380 for me installed with Road Hazard (which ive used several times, hence why i get it), and the BFG's are $600 total OTD with road hazard.

Ecsta - http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?ra=searchTiresBySize.do&fl=&tc=KUMHH0&c=0&rcz=85021&pc=33660&ar=40&rf=true&rd=17&rc=AZWINT&cs=205

BFG GForce Sport Comp 2 - http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?ra=searchTiresBySize.do&fl=&tc=MTAHZ5&c=0&rcz=85021&pc=37061&ar=40&rf=true&rd=17&rc=AZWINT&cs=205

So if anyone runs the Ecsta please chime in with your experience and longevity. Im not kidding myself, it seems obvious the better performing tire is the BFG one. But is it 30$ a tire performing better?

Appreciate your help guis!
I ran the Ecsta's on my ST last winter. It snowed and the summer tires that came on the car wouldn't get me anywhere. Put them on at roughly 7,000 miles. Then at 19,000 miles I went to the DHM setup. At this point the tires still had some tread left on them. They were out of life by 24,000 miles once the BT went on. They aren't as grippy as the stock tires, but they will be night and day better once it gets cold and snowy. Seeing as you are in AZ, not sure that is a concern for you at all though.

OP
TheStig

TheStig

Thread Starter #4
I ran the Ecsta's on my ST last winter. It snowed and the summer tires that came on the car wouldn't get me anywhere. Put them on at roughly 7,000 miles. Then at 19,000 miles I went to the DHM setup. At this point the tires still had some tread left on them. They were out of life by 24,000 miles once the BT went on. They aren't as grippy as the stock tires, but they will be night and day better once it gets cold and snowy. Seeing as you are in AZ, not sure that is a concern for you at all though.
Appreciate the information. Sounds like the extra coin for the BFG's is well spent then. You are right that cold/snow arent worries for me, thats why i dont mind running an Ultra High Performance Summer tire during the winter here, even if it does get down into the 30's.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Just be careful when cold, I swapped to my Mich AS today, should of done it a couple of weeks ago, on the Rival S which had no wheel spin in second gear in warm weather with around 300WHP, soon as it hit boost it hit the rev limiter, it was 33 degrees out, on my way to the tire shop to do the swap.

The Octane cars run the Comp 2 and I found them quite nice, not Rival S grip but a good tire, easy to drive fast and they hold up pretty well.

Had them on my 2004 Civic Si and they were well rounded and good for the money.

The big issue I always hear about the Kumho is that they stick wonderfully for the first 10-15% of the tire life... and then they get greasy for the rest

The Dunlop and Bridgestones on the other hand have solid traction right down to the cords

The big issue I always hear about the Kumho is that they stick wonderfully for the first 10-15% of the tire life... and then they get greasy for the rest

The Dunlop and Bridgestones on the other hand have solid traction right down to the cords
Mine did well, but when I ran them I lived in Florida. They held up during the rainy season even toward the end of their life.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I ran the tires on my Typhoon with the stock wheels on it for two seasons summer....winter etc. Performed well for the price still have about 6/32nds on them, I think I had about 15k on them and they were about $500 plus OTD. I also rigorously beat that truck all the time also though. But I'd say for the price point not bad. Now the corvette tires and rims that are on it now weren't cheap. But oh well that's life and it's pay to play.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have used a lot of Kumho tires and put them on family cars as well, great for the money but generally do not last as long as a more premium brand so factor that into the cost as well as the labor, etc, adds up if you change tires more often. Even though my daughter lives in Scottsdale she wanted an all season tire for her 5 door Mazda S as sometimes travels out of area in colder weather and we picked the AX4 as a bit better all season than the AST, fit her budget, etc.. I have driven her car in 35-110 degree weather differences and they are quite good all around. My discount tire manager buddy recommended them over the AST for her needs.

When it came time for all seasons for my FiST we picked the Mich PS3 AS, they are dang fine all season tires(really 3 season as most are, best all season in snow is the Conti but not nearly as good in the dry and I do not plan to drive in the snow.

I have mine listed locally though as want to go down to 16's for more ride comfort and save a bit more weight, I really want to go to 15's but not much to pick from in tires for what I want them to do.

The Mich is costly when new for sure but they last far longer than the other good all season tires and perform as well as some good summer only tires when it is hot out.

Lots to think about when picking tires and lowest cost point is usually not what we should look for first.