Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need a new commuter

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Looking at cars to replace my work commuter. I do about 80 miles a day round trip. Looking at Corolla, yaris, civic and fit. What a terrible time to need something. Used are the price of new and new are either vaporware or marked up. Trying to score something between 10 and 15k to pile miles on is proving difficult.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I have an 09 Honda Fit Sport automatic as one of my daily/commuter cars. After a Smart car, I have never driven a car that feels so slow. I'm 6'3" and I'm comfortable in it, once it's up to highway speed it says there. It's just...fine I guess? You'd probably be happier in a Civic or a Sonata/Optima. I'd get something that has an easily upgradeable head unit (not a Fit) so you can add Carplay/AA to it to make it a bit more tolerable to drive.

Looking at cars to replace my work commuter. I do about 80 miles a day round trip. Looking at Corolla, yaris, civic and fit. What a terrible time to need something. Used are the price of new and new are either vaporware or marked up. Trying to score something between 10 and 15k to pile miles on is proving difficult.
We have an 8th gen civic in the family that's been nothing but great to us. Upgraded to an android auto/apple carplay headunit for about $500 in parts and 25 minutes of my time and the car really feels modern. Timeless interior and exterior. Super easy to work on and fix, but aftermarket scene is full of janky parts, so you're best with OEM for most stuff which is more expensive. It's just a little boring to drive

Some early 3rd gen Mazda 3s (2013-2018 MY) can be had around that cheap. They're pretty inside and out, and they seem to be pretty reliable, but admittedly I don't know much about them beyond that.

a VW with a 2.5L 5 cylinder, (Mk5 Golf, Rabbit, Jetta) are also fairly reliable, not as much as the Honda or the Mazda, but they'll definitely be cheaper and it won't be as bland of a driving experience. Maintenance is certainly more expensive and it is more difficult to repair. Better aftermarket part scene, so more options for repair.

My personal favorite: VW CC - cheap, VERY comfortable, looks great. Get '12 or later for some small engine improvements. '14+ will be a bit more reliable too, still not as much as the Honda or Mazda probably. There is an AWD VR6 version that is also good and would be the most reliable (probably as reliable as the Mazda), but may be out of the price range

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #6
I ended up grabbing a '16 Honda CR-Z. Higher mileage but after seeing the prices of some of the Fits and Civics...anyhow. This thing is a 6 spd manual, leather heated seats and just really neat and unique.

Last edited:
I have a 1.0 Fiesta that routinely gets 41 mpg on the highway doing 70-75. Its tuned so has a little more power than stock and has some tasteful mods. I’m the original owner and it’s for sale. PM if interested

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a 1.0 Fiesta that routinely gets 41 mpg on the highway doing 70-75. Its tuned so has a little more power than stock and has some tasteful mods. I’m the original owner and it’s for sale. PM if interested
Who does a tune for the US 1.0?

Negi

sending you a pm

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #10
Being my new daily not going to do much to it. May have some paint correction/protection, fluids and some interior LED. And some tint probably. It's a neat ride. Not fast by any means but there's something sporty to the initial acceleration when the hybrid kicks in. Also has S+ button on wheel for a momentary kick of hybrid power till you let off throttle. Claims on crz forums are mpg into the low 40's if you work for it.

Attachments

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #11
I should note this did not replace the fist. That's hiding in a garage waiting for nicer weather to have a manifold, hybrid and dp inatalled!

Negi

Def helps it stay purdy and extend your time with it.
I have a love and hate with my Fist.Hate the tranny in the winter as it gets very Notchy,1 to 2 is a pita when its below 35,the battery took a crap on me within a yr,was replaced under warranty and now its dyeing again.Replaced the Purge valve myself last month and it did the stuttering and stalled on me twice last saturday.So the Evap cannister is taking a shit.Dropping it off at the dealership Thursday.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The Chevy Sonic (I thought that was the Spark) had a 140hp option. But it would be a nice commuter vehicle I think. Manual shift available in all trims. I drove what was purported to be an 88hp vehicle for many years and didn't have an issue. Manual shift it was still interesting to drive and had plenty of power for climbing steep hills. Was lacking for *the* shortest of highway entrance ramps under construction but on open highway had no problem smoothly sailing well beyond 100MPH on the 120MPH speedometer. I don't see 2020 Sonic on Chevy's website and they'll reportedly be eliminating the 98hp Spark after 2022.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
The Chevy Sonic (I thought that was the Spark) had a 140hp option. But it would be a nice commuter vehicle I think. Manual shift available in all trims. I drove what was purported to be an 88hp vehicle for many years and didn't have an issue. Manual shift it was still interesting to drive and had plenty of power for climbing steep hills. Was lacking for *the* shortest of highway entrance ramps under construction but on open highway had no problem smoothly sailing well beyond 100MPH on the 120MPH speedometer. I don't see 2020 Sonic on Chevy's website and they'll reportedly be eliminating the 98hp Spark after 2022.
I owned one in between FiSTs and it was horrible. I'd rather have a base Fiesta.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a love and hate with my Fist.Hate the tranny in the winter as it gets very Notchy,1 to 2 is a pita when its below 35,the battery took a crap on me within a yr,was replaced under warranty and now its dyeing again.Replaced the Purge valve myself last month and it did the stuttering and stalled on me twice last saturday.So the Evap cannister is taking a shit.Dropping it off at the dealership Thursday.
Are you still on the stock transmission fluid? If so, I would change it and see if that helps.