Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need some schooling on boost controller

Lsstefan

Gretings.
As the title says, I’m a bit confused regarding the controllers and actuators. I know how they work, but I’m trying to find when is the right time to add better ones. And i apologize for the basic quesrions and if i’m confusing you also very soon.
The turbo in case is the X47r.
So, according to pumaspeed on some other thread, the turbo works wonders at 23-24 psi. An 11 psi actuator is very good for this because when the turbo makes max boost, the valve is opened completely(something like that).

When the wastegate is max open, the turbo still makes 23 psi, right? So in reality the turbo makes actual boost+wastegate leak?
Is the wastegate tuned/made in such manner so that it Leaks “X” psi so the turbo can get to 23psi?
If I would add a bigger wastegate and made it open wide, i will get lower boost, correct?
Is there a reason to add a boost controller(besides maybe fine tuning) to a turbo that’s been made specifically to give 23 psi?(assuming everything I said before is correct)

If I go bigger turbo, lets say 2867R and an external wastegate. The gate has its own actuator if I remember corectly, lets assume 11 psi also. But the wastegate is bigger so if it opens max, the turbo will make less boost, right? Would a boost controller be more important then?

I hope I made some sense.
Thanks for the help.
Regards.

Ps: is anybody running a boost controller on any turbo?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Firstly, wastegate and actuator are the same thing in this context: the wastegate actuator.

We all have a boost control solenoid... They’re probably the lowest priority thing you need to think about upgrading. Doubly so with a hybrid turbo.

As for actuators, you’re way over-complicating it. An 11psi spring/actuator means that it will hold closed until 11psi. In other words, if you’re tuned on wastegate pressure only, it will open “max” at 11psi.
The boost control solenoid keeps the wastegate closed until the boost pressure the car has been tuned for is achieved. Also, there’s no turbo for us made to give a specific psi.

With that in mind, the wastegate isn’t just closed or open. Back to the 11psi wastegate actuator as an example: the wastegate actuator will crack open and leak boost beyond 11psi on a wastegate pressure only calibration. Basically, it’s open just enough that an equilibrium around 11psi is maintained.

Now, when we introduce the boost control solenoid and tuning we can force the wastegate to remain closed for longer. Typically, the target boost is roughly a little over double the psi. So, an 11psi spring can handle 22-26ish psi fairly well with a boost control solenoid. That’s the basics of it.

To answer your individual questions, in order:

Basically. No.

Basically.

Sort of.

No, and there’s no turbo made to deliver a specific psi. Plus, we already have a boost control solenoid.

No, boost is boost (in the simplest terms).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lsstefan

Thread Starter #5
Thank you guys for the responses.
A few hours after I posted I was wondering how the hell tuners increase boost if I don't have the controller, but little did I know :D
Cool so apparently we have everything we need and I just over complicate things.

Thanks again for all the help.
Cheers