Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Negative ignition corrections w/ launch control

Hey guys, kind of worried here.

Have an x37 fiesta, was running my 94octane tune today and decided to have some fun on a mexican backroad. Anyways, used the launch control set at about 2600rpm and did a nice burnout and banged off the rev limiter for a good few seconds. Looking down at my accessport i see -4.5 ignition corrections across all 4 cylinders. This backroad was kind of crappy and not too smooth so im hoping it had something to do with false knock (or my cobb rear motor mount). I Totally let off throttle and drove back home like a grandma and let it idle for a few minutes before shutting it off. Ever since it runs noise free and am not getting any negative corrections WOT. Should I be worried?

I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t worry. It’s not like you drive it for minutes under that load and you caught it right away. From my understanding the tune protects the engine.

I feel the AP can be a distraction. It’s fun to gather data, but it can be a distraction.

OP
Ox_fiestast
Thread Starter #4
I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t worry. It’s not like you drive it for minutes under that load and you caught it right away. From my understanding the tune protects the engine.

I feel the AP can be a distraction. It’s fun to gather data, but it can be a distraction.
Totally agree there, always looking at it after applying any load like an ocd maniac. Just installed one step colder plugs yesterday and I think the gap may be off. Will recheck tomorrow was just hoping for some reassuring answers here thank you 😂

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Raise it to 3000 or 3200. 2600 is too low and it just bogs the car.

Raise it to 3000 or 3200. 2600 is too low and it just bogs the car.
I get a lot of wheel hop launching my car in the 2800-3000 range. 2600 feels right, feels smoother.

How would you describe your launch at higher RPMS?

Last edited:
OP
Ox_fiestast
Thread Starter #7
I get a lot of wheel hop launching my car in the 2800-3000 range. 2600 feels right, feels smoother.

How would you describe you launch at higher RPMS?
Im just a noobie but i had it up in the 3000-3300rpm range and i found with the x37 i had ZERO traction, setting it at 2600 gives me the most grip to get me going. Could be wrong though

OP
Ox_fiestast
Thread Starter #8
Also i pulled the plugs today, had them all around 0.25 which is too small of a gap im assuming, changed it to 0.28ish. Noticed the plugs had some white on them (im assuming from higher heat with smaller gap)???

Se7eN

Hey guys, kind of worried here.

Have an x37 fiesta, was running my 94octane tune today and decided to have some fun on a mexican backroad. Anyways, used the launch control set at about 2600rpm and did a nice burnout and banged off the rev limiter for a good few seconds. Looking down at my accessport i see -4.5 ignition corrections across all 4 cylinders. This backroad was kind of crappy and not too smooth so im hoping it had something to do with false knock (or my cobb rear motor mount). I Totally let off throttle and drove back home like a grandma and let it idle for a few minutes before shutting it off. Ever since it runs noise free and am not getting any negative corrections WOT. Should I be worried?
If you bounced off the rev limiter it is normal to see knock or negative corrections. Just attempt to not let it happen cause it could mess something up.

PunkST

2000 Post Club

How would you describe you launch at higher RPMS?
I have a 6 point front brace, and im still on a stock turbo. My car will just spin the wheels a bit and scoot away. Once i let the clutch out i go to part throttle to mitigate wheelspin myself ( i only play with LC if ive turned tcs off)

Also i pulled the plugs today, had them all around 0.25 which is too small of a gap im assuming, changed it to 0.28ish. Noticed the plugs had some white on them (im assuming from higher heat with smaller gap)???
Could be the plug over heating. Can't tell without seeing. There are charts online that can help direct you.

I just ordered plugs, and the factory spec is .032”.

What does closing the gap help with, and how are people coming up with .025” to .030” gaps?

OP
Ox_fiestast
Thread Starter #13
I just ordered plugs, and the factory spec is .032”.

What does closing the gap help with, and how are people coming up with .025” to .030” gaps?
Great question, Id love to know myself. Had factory plugs installed at factory gap and had no issues. Switching to stepcolder hasnt done anything but actually cause worry for me because now the plugs are white on the ground electrode. may be going back to stock plugs at factory gap myself

Se7eN

Great question, Id love to know myself. Had factory plugs installed at factory gap and had no issues. Switching to stepcolder hasnt done anything but actually cause worry for me because now the plugs are white on the ground electrode. may be going back to stock plugs at factory gap myself
closer gap prevents the spark from going out due to the boost. One step colder does help but with the closer gap. Prevents misfires.

OP
Ox_fiestast
Thread Starter #15
closer gap prevents the spark from going out due to the boost. One step colder does help but with the closer gap. Prevents misfires.
If i may ask, what do you suggest i gap my step colder plugs to on my x37 full bolt on fiesta? Should i clean the white off the plug and reuse or start fresh?

Thanks for insight

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Sounds good brother, should I be worried about the white on the plugs as far as melting a piston or just carry on?
When in doubt I just swap plugs, they're cheaper than any of the other parts that could fail.
I don't have a bigger turbo and am not super into FiST tuning, so others are more qualified to respond, but you may want to check in with your tuner.