Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New brakes noisy - slotted/drilled makes a whirring sound when braking

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Not sure if its just how they sound, figured I'd ask. Every since I got them on the car, its making a whirring or almost... buzzing? sound. It really just sounds like its either the slots or the holes going past the pads, but its there all the time at low speed whether I'm on the brakes or not. My other cars with drilled *or* slotted rotors haven't sounded like that, but they all came with those rotors stock.

They've been on for about 120 miles.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I get whirring from my bbk but only when I'm on the brakes. I've experienced that in other cars with brake kits when braking, but I don't hear it when not braking.

Same. Bought the car with D/S rotors, and the rear whirrs after 10k miles, even slightly between braking. I only notice when the windows are open.

I thought my rear slide pins might need greasing, but I’ll be curious what others say.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I've never experienced this with slotted rotors, so I'm guessing it's the drilled holes -- which kinda makes sense, kinda like blowing over a bottle top

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I thought I was the only one! My car has been doing this with slotted rotors for years. Odd as its the first car I've owned with slotted rotors that makes this sound. I've switched from stoptech/Hawk HPS pads to R1concept rotors & semi-metallic pads. The noise (and feel) persisted on both setups.

I'm currently on R1 semi-metallic pads and EBC-USR1963 slotted and the noise is MUCH less. I only notice it when I'm looking for it, ya know. That could be due to the EBC slots not going the full face of the rotor. They have a small gap that might be making the difference.

IMG_1543.jpeg

What kind of pads are you running? Before my BBK I had drilled and slotted rotors (power stop) with motorcraft pads and they made no noise at all. Could be the pads, rotors, or maybe both. I do remember when I installed those pads and rotors I did have noise at first, a few hard stops did the trick

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
What I ordered from rockauto was
Z23 Evolution Sport kit

pads - carbon fiber ceramic
K6818.jpg

slopoke

Well, coming from a motorcycle background. Drilled rotors always made a whirring noise for me. Especially when racing on tracks like Sears Point or the big track at Willow Springs. I'd have to say it's normal, unless the noise bothers you.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have the StopTech drilled and vented discs with their pads and have NO noise problems. Love the stopping power and less dust.

What I ordered from rockauto was
Z23 Evolution Sport kit

pads - carbon fiber ceramic
View attachment 55342
I have the same setup and didn't notice much difference in sound from stock...granted I melted the stock pads and cooked the rotors the first time I hooned it on a track aggresively like an idiot a week after buying my used FiST and only driving 5 miles to work before tracking it, totally worth it and was an excuse to upgrade😃😃. I'm wondering if the ABS was cycled with Forscan properly during bleeding. When not done correctly it can cause some weird issues with these cars.