Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Colorado Member W/o Fiesta, Let's Convince me!

OP
T
Thread Starter #21
Since the main competitor is the GTI, I'll make it cut-n-dry: luxury vs. sport.... Pick the one that's more important to you.

I'm sure everyone has seen this video, but I'll post it anyway...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ShewsWHzE
Yeah I saw that a while ago, but that's for bringing it to my attention again! Yeah it definitely seems like the big factor in the end. While not being luxurious, do you think that the interior is built cheap? Have there been any issues with rattling, or stuff just not being built up to par? I know about the gas pedal spacing.

Larry H Miller Ford and most of the ST guys go there. I haven't put it on a dyno yet but tuner estimates around 50 HP over stock. The only things done to mine are intercooler, panel filter/ induction hose, RMM, oil catch can, muffler delete, and a pro E30 tune from Deadhook. You dont need to modify the fuel system for E30 at all. I have a completely different set of wheels and tires for winter. A ride could definitely be arranged.
Very nice! Yeah man I'd definitely be down to take a ride with ya! Pm'd!

I have summer tires on - michelin pilot super sport 3. Have not tested in snow yet but I'd have to get snow tires b/c we can't fit chains on our FiST unfortunately. I have seen videos of people driving their FiST in snow with snow tires and it doesn't seem to be a problem (just like pretty much any other car in the snow with snow tires -- the tires are the important component). The pilot super sport 3s are probably the best thing I can get for wet-traction (softer compound in the summer tires v.s. all season). My biggest hesitation with putting more money into the car is that I'm just going to have more traction issues and that doesn't really sound fun to me. However, you don't have much issue with traction once you get >40mph and if you adjust your modulate your throttle, but this kind of car isn't like a muscle car... you kind of need to ring it out to get all the ponies.

I did consider a few LSDs but they're kind of a pain to install on this car. At the end of the day, all the things I 'want' are going to be easily had packaged together in the WRX and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (at least for me) to pour lots of money into the FiST and never get it back. Plan for now is enjoy the FiST. I'm not in a place in life where I'm ready for something more extravagant/expensive/nicer. So quite honestly, it's a good fit for me at the moment.

Recaros are nice. I have them, but they're a pain to get in and out of because the side bolsters are high. This annoys some passengers (annoys me on occasion too). I think they're a tad too aggressive for daily driving, but they do their job well. I thought the suspension was fine at first but boy it's actually pretty stiff for comfortable street riding. When the rode is imperfect I know it.

Not sure if your date would necessarily think you're the shit for having an econobox hot-hatch. Really depends I guess? I think the GTI would garner more appreciation from a normal everyday person, but this is the last thing I'd be worried about honestly.

P.S. I think everyone's comments so far are great.
You can't put chains on the FiST AT ALL? Not even Low Profile solutions like the Thule Chains? Hm, that's a pretty big thing for me. I've been in situations where I've had to have Chains AND Snow tires before I could go through road checks with FWD. Yeah, I totally feel ya- part of the reason I'm doing some big research before buying. Knowing all these things helps with the decision to do it or not. The only thing I'm still not sure of is the Recaros, I just need seat time in them. For those who have them, how close are they to the FoST seats? I got to sit in those, and I even thought about doing a junkyard swap of those seats into the FiST. I think the date thing is the last of my concerns too, just thinking of peoples reactions to the car more than anything.
And ya, the comments are spot on- no psycho haters, so far no ones called me an idiot. Good times

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I've had zero rattling. I don't see anything bad with the build quality either, it just doesn't have "bling."

Something else to keep in mind; I purchased my FiST new with only 40 miles on the odometer for $17,073. How much is a GTI? lol