Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

NEW ENKEI RPF1 Group Buy, 16x7 43mm 4x108, NOW TAKING DEPOSITS. Make sure to PM

Trader history for OAKOS Automotive (0)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
yep I was looking at 205/45-16 RE-71R vs. 215/45-16 Rival-S 1.5 but picked the RE-71R because Bridgestone has a $70 rebate plus Disco Tire can get them locally. TireRack is the only place to get Rivals so I'd have to pay for shipping however BFG has a $50 rebate.
So, TR has an exclusive/monopoly on the 1.5s as well as the Star Specs?? [mad] [:(]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
It sucks but they do that when they can get away with it:(

I bought mine Rival S tires from them but was able to pick them up in the Reno warehouse so no shipping which helped.

--------------

What I like about the S is the nearly instant grip, cruising along, get on it hard, hit a back road, feel like ripping up a few turns, as long as the temp is at least 50 but 60-70 even better they do not need warmed up much at all, just driving is enough. Of course that can relate in overheating to fast if pushed to hard for an extended time, maybe not that extended either.

It will be interesting to see how it compares to the RE71R and the new RS4.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I have seen people saying the 1.5 in a 215 is faster than the 205 re71 but surface is also a big factor with the 1.5 Mine are getting mounted today and hope to get on car tomorrow

I have seen people saying the 1.5 in a 215 is faster than the 205 re71 but surface is also a big factor with the 1.5.

I have seen the same around here. Multiple people having run the same exact two tires in those particular sizes on the same car at the same track on the same conditions? I dunno...

But one thing that I see compared often is tread width. One would assume that a 7.4" tire would be "faster" than a 7.1" tire, considering the size alone. But what also must be considered is sidewall strength and tire compound. I saw a guy at the track on Federals and by the 3rd lap he was sliding everywhere, they had turned to grease and they were probably an inch wider than my setup.

----

The RE71 is close to reaching venerable status, much like the StarSpec was years ago. You see RE71 on everything from high powered Porsche 911s, Corvettes, and all the way down to Lotus Exiges and Honda hatchbacks. They might be a lb or two heavier then the next best competitor (I chalk that up to Bridgestone liking to use thick sidewalls on their Max Perfs). They are good tires no doubt, but they are costly.

The 205/45r16 is closest to our stock diameter (just a tad smaller overall diameter).

215/45 diameter is larger than stock. I can't see where someone would want a larger diameter tire on a 1.6l econobox. Maybe for running the Texas mile or something?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The RE71 has a 7.1" tread width while the 215 1.5 is 7.5" and if the sidewall design supports the tread properly then it could very well be faster. Sometimes faster tires are harder to drive so it takes more skill but also different driving styles can make quite an impact as well, some tires are OK being manhandled and some need a gentler touch.

It will be interesting to see what the RS4 in 205 does, it has a 7.4" tread width, in the middle of those two in weight at 20lbs (tire rack rounds the numbers up or down so actual weight can be a bit off from what they publish but close enough)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Since we're already far [offtopic] ;

Can we speculate that some of these 200 tread wear autocross tire companies take this whole "tread width MUST BE FULLY supported by the wheel width" thing (side wall rigidity level dependent of course) to heart, and is their justification/rationale for setting the tread widths so damned NARROW (within a given size) so that those limited by class wheel width restrictions are drawn to THEIR narrow tire on purpose/by design ?? [dunno]

Since we're already far [offtopic] ;

Can we speculate that some of these 200 tread wear autocross tire companies take this whole "tread width MUST BE FULLY supported by the wheel width" thing (side wall rigidity level dependent of course) to heart, and is their justification/rationale for setting the tread widths so damned NARROW (within a given size) so that those limited by class wheel width restrictions are drawn to THEIR narrow tire on purpose/by design ?? [dunno]
Eh, kind of unlikely. I would say if you wanna talk conspiracy theories, discuss how there's no 3rd party testing on treadwear, so it's basically a free for all.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I don't know, some overly wide treaded tires, some very narrow, different diameters, section width, weights, costs....I know some are purposely designed to work around the rules and it is by size of each one more than the version of the tire, some I have seen as the same exact tire in different sizes being really wide and the next one is medium, next is narrow....

No idea why so many discrepancies.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Nick,
I highly recommend looking into getting these in 16x8, I had a set in 4x100 but found a way to fit 15x8 6ULs over my DIY BBKs so sent them back and bought the 6UL.
I love the RPF1 but wanted to make 15's work as my other street and race wheels and tires are all in 15's and less weight.

16x8 would be the perfect wheel on this car and good tires made to fit as well.

Rick

OP
OAKOS Automotive

OAKOS Automotive

Vendor
Thread Starter #271
Nick,
I highly recommend looking into getting these in 16x8, I had a set in 4x100 but found a way to fit 15x8 6ULs over my DIY BBKs so sent them back and bought the 6UL.
I love the RPF1 but wanted to make 15's work as my other street and race wheels and tires are all in 15's and less weight.

16x8 would be the perfect wheel on this car and good tires made to fit as well.

Rick
The 16x8 has been an extremely popular request, and we are having discussions on possibly offering those in the future. As for now, I can't make any promises, but stay tuned!

-Nick
Oakos Automotive

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Nick,
That is great news:)

BUT, I have to mention, the current WW BBK likely will not fit under them. I have a DIY WW 11.75" GT rotor BBK setup that fit but not with much clearance. Good chance a slightly modded caliper mount to pull the calipers in just a bit and still fit the pads on correctly would work out. I had to go that route to fit my setup under the widest barrel 15x9 I could find and then later had a new set machined to bring them in a tad more to fit the 15x8 6ULs for NeoGen 205s for all season use(3 season tires really, would not be much good in snow)

A kit made with the SL calipers might clear, there was someone working on it but had a serious family issue and I have not talked to them since last summer about it, it was to fit the biggest rotor possible under 15's which would fit the 16x8 RPF1 easily enough.

Note: the rotor face is wider than the pads so the calipers can be moved in or out a bit, just get a bit less torque moved in but still have the mass to deal with the heat.

Last edited:

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Just to be clear, I am a huge fan of 16x8 for this car but until a quality one is offered at a good price or you have to stay with 7" per rules this is a damn good wheel in 16x7:)

GAbOS

Just to be clear, I am a huge fan of 16x8 for this car but until a quality one is offered at a good price or you have to stay with 7" per rules this is a damn good wheel in 16x7:)
100% agreed. Now if the weather would make up it's mind in Nevada so I can swap to my new Summer only setup. [twothumb]

Anybody with the open ended lugs notice that the rear lugs thread deeper than the fronts? Anything I should be worried about? Also 80ft/lbs ok? Thanks guys!

KKaWing

Yeah the rear studs stick out a bit further than the front. The OE spec for lug torque is 100lb/ft.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I torque mine with the tires just touching the ground to keep them from spinning 80 lbs, then redo them to 100lbs.

I also check them after a drive as usually a few need just a bit more torque, when I do track days I torque them after every run.

Rears stick out more due to thicker rotor "hats" in the front most likely.