Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

NEW Product - whoosh motorsports Performance Coil Packs

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
The last car I modded idgaf if anything matched under the hood. It was pretty colorful under there by the time I got rid of it. Like I said, if red was all that was offered, then I'd still buy red, but I prefer to stay stealthy.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You guys are still taking about color? šŸ˜‚
Well without any actual performance metrics, it's basically a dress up item šŸ˜‚ A really nice one tho! They do look sick. A real Audi RS vibe. I'll get them one day but only after my OEMs start to give me issues. Maybe I'll cut holes in the engine cover to show off them beauties :p

Well without any actual performance metrics, it's basically a dress up item šŸ˜‚ A really nice one tho! They do look sick. A real Audi RS vibe. I'll get them one day but only after my OEMs start to give me issues. Maybe I'll cut holes in the engine cover to show off them beauties :p
The way I see it is.. they appear to be better than OEM, and cost slightly less than OEM. So why not? They aren't claiming to have a performance benefit (as in, producing more power), they seem to be more about stability and accurate sparking. Are they actually better? Hard to know, but so far nobody's shown anything for how they'd be worse.. I'll probably get them eventually since I'm still on my original ones.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The way I see it is.. they appear to be better than OEM, and cost slightly less than OEM. So why not? They aren't claiming to have a performance benefit (as in, producing more power), they seem to be more about stability and accurate sparking. Are they actually better? Hard to know, but so far nobody's shown anything for how they'd be worse.. I'll probably get them eventually since I'm still on my original ones.
Look good AND are cheaper. Just another reason to add them to my looong list of planned mods :)

Dialcaliper

Chalk me up as another satisfied customer. Just installed the black Whoosh coil packs I recieved. I was a little worried theyā€™d look a little blingy, but the whoosh logo is a nice subtle grey on black.

About a 10 minute job pulling the cover and swapping packs. If I hadnā€™t just checked and regapped my plugs, it would have been a good opportunity to do that.

Not sure about startup, but the first thing I noticed is that several of the usual buzzing and rattles from my dash at idle disappeared (Iā€™ve got ā€œraceā€ black power flex pineapple and transmission inserts and a whoosh black bushing RMM). The NVH from the mounts was not that bad before, but I definitely noticed a change in sound/smoothness at both idle (even with A/C on) and cruise.

How much of it is the upgraded whoosh package, and how much is just replacing old coil packs with fresh ones I canā€™t say, but Iā€™m definitely glad I made the swap.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Chalk me up as another satisfied customer. Just installed the black Whoosh coil packs I recieved. I was a little worried theyā€™d look a little blingy, but the whoosh logo is a nice subtle grey on black.

About a 10 minute job pulling the cover and swapping packs. If I hadnā€™t just checked and regapped my plugs, it would have been a good opportunity to do that.

Not sure about startup, but the first thing I noticed is that several of the usual buzzing and rattles from my dash at idle disappeared (Iā€™ve got ā€œraceā€ black power flex pineapple and transmission inserts and a whoosh black bushing RMM). The NVH from the mounts was not that bad before, but I definitely noticed a change in sound/smoothness at both idle (even with A/C on) and cruise.

How much of it is the upgraded whoosh package, and how much is just replacing old coil packs with fresh ones I canā€™t say, but Iā€™m definitely glad I made the swap.
This makes me want to go change my coil packs. I have the same powerflex inserts and my car is a total rattle box.

Dialcaliper

This makes me want to go change my coil packs. I have the same powerflex inserts and my car is a total rattle box.
Itā€™s definitely worth it. This morning I was just noticing that with the smoother low RPM behavior, the car seems better behaved in parking lots and traffic - thereā€™s less of the of ā€œchuggingā€ you get when slipping the clutch to creep forward very slowly and you let the revs drop a little too low.

Probably no effect on power, but definitely a quality of life mod.

Itā€™s definitely worth it. This morning I was just noticing that with the smoother low RPM behavior, the car seems better behaved in parking lots and traffic - thereā€™s less of the of ā€œchuggingā€ you get when slipping the clutch to creep forward very slowly and you let the revs drop a little too low.

Probably no effect on power, but definitely a quality of life mod.
i f***ing hate that chugging. if i didn't have such a long list of mods planned i'd get the new coil packs on that fact alone.

If you need coils, this is a great option. But, there is not going to be a real performance gain over stock if your stock coils are fine. Sorry, but you guys saying the car runs better are Government Exhibit #1 for the effects of placebos.
it's almost like the previous comments say exactly what you just wrote (that there are no performance gains/if anything it's just something you should do if you already were planning on changing out the coil packs) so some people were wondering if their stock coils weren't, in fact, fine.

Last edited:

Dialcaliper

If you need coils, this is a great option. But, there is not going to be a real performance gain over stock if your stock coils are fine. Sorry, but you guys saying the car runs better are Government Exhibit #1 for the effects of placebos.
I specifically mentioned that I wasnā€™t sure how much was just fresh coil packs, or if there was anything better about the whoosh ones.

That said, my car is a 2016 and the original OEM packs are only 58k miles old, so itā€™s not like they should be shot at this point - coil packs are supposed to last ~100-120k miles before needing replacement

There is definitely a noticable difference I could probably come up with a way to measure it more scientifically if I had the time and motivation for an inexpensive part, that might even show up on a data log.

Honestly I put them in expecting no difference at all, or maybe a smoother idle, but the things Iā€™m noticing are those routine engine behaviors

you just get ā€œused toā€ and then it surprises you by acting differently, not things Iā€™m actively looking out for. Like the clutch habit going across the dips and speed bumps in my kidā€™s school parking lot that I go across several times a week.

Youā€™re misusing the much overused ā€œplaceboā€, which is something that can be verified to make no difference.

Acoustics, rpm to chugging/stall, etc all changed from swapping coil packs. Again, as long as they hold up longer term, the Whoosh are a good deal being cheaper than OEM replacements. If I happened to have a fresh set of OEM packs (which I donā€™t) maybe Iā€™d see a difference one way or the other, maybe not.

ā€œStrongerā€ coil packs arenā€™t magic, itā€™s just a rewound or slightly different winding ratio, in the same way that rewound alternators and electric motors can be made to put out slightly better current/power. And usually like all aftermarket parts that comes with the tradeoffs where things wear out faster. The OEM pack windings were likely designed with more margin and longer lifetime in mind.

Iā€™m planning to keep the OEM packs around in case the whoosh ones crap out early for some reason.

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I'm going to be hitting 150k miles soon so I might replace the coil packs for the hell of it. My idle has been spotty lately, and I was going to pull the plugs to check them anyway. I'm noticing my spotty idle with the stiffer RMM.

pixelzombie

I specifically mentioned that I wasnā€™t sure how much was just fresh coil packs, or if there was anything better about the whoosh ones.

That said, my car is a 2016 and the original OEM packs are only 58k miles old, so itā€™s not like they should be shot at this point - coil packs are supposed to last ~100-120k miles before needing replacement

There is definitely a noticable difference I could probably come up with a way to measure it more scientifically if I had the time and motivation for an inexpensive part, that might even show up on a data log.

Honestly I put them in expecting no difference at all, or maybe a smoother idle, but the things Iā€™m noticing are those routine engine behaviors

you just get ā€œused toā€ and then it surprises you by acting differently, not things Iā€™m actively looking out for. Like the clutch habit going across the dips and speed bumps in my kidā€™s school parking lot that I go across several times a week.

Youā€™re misusing the much overused ā€œplaceboā€, which is something that can be verified to make no difference.

Acoustics, rpm to chugging/stall, etc all changed from swapping coil packs. Again, as long as they hold up longer term, the Whoosh are a good deal being cheaper than OEM replacements. If I happened to have a fresh set of OEM packs (which I donā€™t) maybe Iā€™d see a difference one way or the other, maybe not.

ā€œStrongerā€ coil packs arenā€™t magic, itā€™s just a rewound or slightly different winding ratio, in the same way that rewound alternators and electric motors can be made to put out slightly better current/power. And usually like all aftermarket parts that comes with the tradeoffs where things wear out faster. The OEM pack windings were likely designed with more margin and longer lifetime in mind.

Iā€™m planning to keep the OEM packs around in case the whoosh ones crap out early for some reason.
It's always humorous when the term 'placebo' gets used when it comes to car modifications, SMH with a chuckle.

That being said, my search on the topic at hand brought up the idea that a larger spapk plug gap can be used with aftermarket coils. Have you had a chance to try out this theory?

It's always humorous when the term 'placebo' gets used when it comes to car modifications, SMH with a chuckle.

That being said, my search on the topic at hand brought up the idea that a larger spapk plug gap can be used with aftermarket coils. Have you had a chance to try out this theory?
it's like when people use "ironically" when they mean "coincidentally"

yeah confirmation bias does not mean placebo effect...

what would a larger spark plug gap do? geniune question. i have my guesses but wouldn't increasing the gap be a negative for those of us with tunes and advanced timing?

Last edited:

Well, I know you and @esp_martin are geniuses and all, so I appreciate the schooling on the various terms, as well as spapk plugs. But since you seem to be hanging mechanical credibility on proper English definitions, know that utilizing a term or phrase as commonly used in culture, whether technically correct or not, is generally accepted practice, both face-to-face in informal settings and certainly on the internet. Most importantly, it doesn't negate the point, no matter how much you want to justify your pretty coils.

But feel free to tell us about all the dyno HP you picked up, Champs.

Last edited: