Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New small displacement turbos from Garrett, Fiesta compatibility?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Housings can be bought from Mountune or ATP* FYI...hopefully they will sell a kit!

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I like the idea of turbo for ideal power range. I think they split that up nicely and I imagine most of the fists will go with the last 2. That would put the power band into a nice area. I also like that even the smaller 1.0l has a good upgrade. They could essentially make our stock power with a 1.0l Ecoboost now.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I also like that even the smaller 1.0l has a good upgrade. They could essentially make our stock power with a 1.0l Ecoboost now.
Which is basically right at, or a slight bit below where the WRC R2 class 1.0 Fiestas are at currently.

Not sure which snail their rules allow them to use on those cars though. [dunno]

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I've seen people post about the S280 having a journal bearing which has been said to be superior to the oem/hybrid style in terms of heat and longevity. I wonder what do Garret turbos bring to the table in terms of build over OEM/hybrid? (Havent delved as deep into the construction/engineering yet as many here have)

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I've seen people post about the S280 having a journal bearing which has been said to be superior to the oem/hybrid style in terms of heat and longevity. I wonder what do Garret turbos bring to the table in terms of build over OEM/hybrid? (Havent delved as deep into the construction/engineering yet as many here have)
They use ball bearings. They spin much quicker than similar sized journal bearing turbos. I believe the OEM turbos were journal as well. As far as strength is concerned you can't beat a good journal bearing turbo but it will spool slower. Garretts turbos are top notch though I love mine.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
They use ball bearings. They spin much quicker than similar sized journal bearing turbos. I believe the OEM turbos were journal as well. As far as strength is concerned you can't beat a good journal bearing turbo but it will spool slower. Garretts turbos are top notch though I love mine.

Actually these new Garretts are journal bearings. The size of turbo’s that are ideal for our cars spin up quick enough that ball bearing is really unnecessary for our cars. IMO.
Ball bearings are desirable in bigger turbo‘s to increase spool speed because of the larger size of turbine causing a slower spool from the get go. I learned that a long time ago. Guys would put big turbo’s on their car and not really spool hard till around 4k while I was running a HKS GT2530 and coming out of the gate like lightening. It really made a difference and with the inline 6 putting out a lot of torque NA to begin with it made for the perfect balance. My car just screamed. :LOL:

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Actually these new Garretts are journal bearings. The size of turbo’s that are ideal for our cars spin up quick enough that ball bearing is really unnecessary for our cars. IMO.
Ball bearings are desirable in bigger turbo‘s to increase spool speed because of the larger size of turbine causing a slower spool from the get go. I learned that a long time ago. Guys would put big turbo’s on their car and not really spool hard till around 4k while I was running a HKS GT2530 and coming out of the gate like lightening. It really made a difference and with the inline 6 putting out a lot of torque NA to begin with it made for the perfect balance. My car just screamed. [emoji38]
I didn't realize they used journals for their smaller turbos

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I didn't realize they used journals for their smaller turbos

Ya I looked at these turbo’s yesterday. I also want to look at that boost plot against a s 280 boost plot to see the differences. I would not bet on these Turbo’s ATM they are currently not car specific and therefor are universal requiring you do a blow off valve setup you do a manifold setup. Until someone actually tries to put together a kit these could be an exercise in futility or costly compared to the kits already offered for ours cars.

Erick_V

Ya I looked at these turbo’s yesterday. I also want to look at that boost plot against a s 280 boost plot to see the differences. I would not bet on these Turbo’s ATM they are currently not car specific and therefor are universal requiring you do a blow off valve setup you do a manifold setup. Until someone actually tries to put together a kit these could be an exercise in futility or costly compared to the kits already offered for ours cars.
Does TT have a map for the S280? I’ve tried finding one before but couldn’t find anything. I’d love to compare the two. Still set on an S280 unless something better comes along. Would love a Garrett but haven’t considered it because of what you mentioned