Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine RPM and Road Noise at 75-80 MPH

Hi everyone!

I'm new to these forums and am currently doing some research on the Fiesta ST as my next car purchase.

At what RPM does the engine like to hang around when cruising on the highway in 6th gear at 75-80 MPH?
Also, how would you rate the interior noise at this speed?

Even though I'm about 95% certain that I would like for this to be my next car, (I'm also looking at the new Honda Fit, not nearly as exciting haha), I still would like to hear some feedback from current owners! Thanks for your time!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I think its about 3k near 80 mph at that speed it is not too bad road noise wise but I have had no chance to run with my windows down so I can address that instance.
We have a Fit and love it to death till we get in the FiST and go for a drive though the FIT will hold load easier as it has the magic rear seats that fold flat . and a bigger rear cabin as seen when parked side by side as it has a bigger tail end ..Both are great cars for but a drivers car the FiST can not be beat....

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Yes 3k at around 80 mph. Road noise is very minimal.

OP
N
Thread Starter #4
I think its about 3k near 80 mph at that speed it is not too bad road noise wise but I have had no chance to run with my windows down so I can address that instance.
We have a Fit and love it to death till we get in the FiST and go for a drive though the FIT will hold load easier as it has the magic rear seats that fold flat . and a bigger rear cabin as seen when parked side by side as it has a bigger tail end ..Both are great cars for but a drivers car the FiST can not be beat....
That's not bad! Yeah, at this point I think I want to have a more fun driving experience vs. driving a fully practical car (the Fit). Even though the Fiesta still seems pretty good in that department for a performance car.

I was mainly concerned with the road noise since I enjoy listening to music while cruising and in my current car (1989 Honda Civic Hatch), the noise is so bad it's hard to hear anything coming out of the stereo without blasting it. Thank you for the reply!

I commute daily to NYC about 40miles one way. Doing 75-80mph at 3k rpm with no problems of road noise. I either have Howard stern playing in the mornings or my music blasting on the way home with no problems what so ever,you'll be fine.

-r

As the others have said, road noise isnt a problem at cruising speed. It is much quieter than my MS3 was.

Around 3100 to 3150 rpm at 80 mph. Too high IMHO for Ford claiming 6th as an "overdrive" gear but road noise is quite low surprisingly. One thing I notice is the stock exhaust burring away and it's a confident note. Can't wait to get an exhaust though...come on COBB get yours out so I can finally make a decision!

Oh while were on the subject of engines and such, anyone running an AP on 91 map with 93 in the tank notice that when they hit full boost (usually spikes at 22 then drops to around 20.50 psi) the turbo pressure surges then momentarily stutters while the waste gate adjusts and then you get a second, consistent swell of torque? It's been really bothering me lately and makes me uneasy, sometimes causing me to let up for fear of over revving the turbo. I'm getting a little annoyed that I can't find the perfect map/fuel combo for the car and it's really making me lean toward the AccessTuner software. Thoughts? Please tell me I'm not the only one feeling this happening when I WOT!!!

Sincerely,

A somewhat panicked SpooledUpST

I gotta say, guys, that compared to a Focus, Escape or Fusion I recently drove, our car is quite a bit more noisy. Still, I drive from NYC to NJ about 30 miles each way listening to our local NPR station and some music and the noise is fine.. You really notice it when on rough concrete roads when trying to talk on the phone though...

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
I mean, essentially this is a raced up econo box, so NVH isn't going to be the best. NVH shouldn't even be a priority when looking at cars like this lol

Perry

I went from a 2010 Honda Fit Sport to the Fiesta ST as my daily drive. That daily commute is relatively short--just a few miles--and none on highway; mostly on larger city streets with speed limits of 35-45. In these conditions, noise levels in the Fiesta ST compare favorably with those of the Fit, to the extent that my listening habits, my notice of noise, etc. haven't changed. I generally listen to NPR, classical, or country, none turned up terribly loud.

On the highway, the trips I've made have featured country and/or classical music from my iPod, and I'm certainly able to enjoy the music without thinking of road noise, though if I consciously think of it, it's there. FWIW, the Fiesta ST through its Sync/MFT allows for automatic speed-dependent volume adjustment. I have mine on, and set at about 1/3 of the way up the settings offered. I don't even think of it except under circumstances like these, when someone's asking about noise levels, etc.

Noise was one of my concerns in considering the FiST; while I don't mind a bit of sports-car growl, I'm not looking to advertise my approach from a half-mile off, either. And I want the cabin to be easily liveable, though it doesn't have to be library quiet. The FiST meets my expectations and desires.

OP
N
Thread Starter #11
I went from a 2010 Honda Fit Sport to the Fiesta ST as my daily drive. That daily commute is relatively short--just a few miles--and none on highway; mostly on larger city streets with speed limits of 35-45. In these conditions, noise levels in the Fiesta ST compare favorably with those of the Fit, to the extent that my listening habits, my notice of noise, etc. haven't changed. I generally listen to NPR, classical, or country, none turned up terribly loud.

On the highway, the trips I've made have featured country and/or classical music from my iPod, and I'm certainly able to enjoy the music without thinking of road noise, though if I consciously think of it, it's there. FWIW, the Fiesta ST through its Sync/MFT allows for automatic speed-dependent volume adjustment. I have mine on, and set at about 1/3 of the way up the settings offered. I don't even think of it except under circumstances like these, when someone's asking about noise levels, etc.

Noise was one of my concerns in considering the FiST; while I don't mind a bit of sports-car growl, I'm not looking to advertise my approach from a half-mile off, either. And I want the cabin to be easily liveable, though it doesn't have to be library quiet. The FiST meets my expectations and desires.
Thanks for the detailed response! Yeah I'm not expecting an extremely quiet ride, but from your description it seems to be pretty good for a sub-compact car