Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New tune version 4.0 available!

Trader history for danbfree (0)

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Says the guy who did a symposer delete without even a resonator or muffler delete? Sounds like trying to make it really quiet, which is the opposite of all this performance talk you speak of, LOL...
I can hear the engine with the intake. Whoosh, pshh. Never cared for the fartbox, and yes, I like it quiet so I can hear muh toons! [cool]

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #82
I can hear the engine with the intake. Whoosh, pshh. Never cared for the fartbox, and yes, I like it quiet so I can hear muh toons! [cool]
Ya, people hate the concept of the kazoo box but it actually is at least genuine real-time noise vs. the FoST... and for sure a modified intake does add some sound, I should have thought about that more before replying, heh... but after looking into it, I think I'm gonna go with the front muffler/res delete, adds some real exhaust sound but no drone. Heck, just a drop in filter added intake and BOV sound but I know you got yours in the MP215 package... Anyway, to go with this thread, I like how my Stratified tune makes my kazoo sound louder and mightier as the tunes' real increase in boost does make it louder too! :)

redmoe

You're right, with all that trading back and forth of pro's and cons and the minor hassle of using two fuels every fillup you should just run 91, if that's your mid-grade... I wouldn't run anything lower for long-term use, with DI engines it can create carbon buildup even more easily on low octane.
From a carbon build up perspective I be would as concerned if not more concerned with [MENTION=9864]ProDigit[/MENTION] looking for second gear starts and low load driving not getting the combustion chamber temps high enough to burn off intake value soot.

This car is definitely not the right choice to maximize miles per dollar.

redmoe

As [MENTION=9500]danbfree[/MENTION] stated back to this thread:

I posted info for the first round of the high torque tune in my stage one tune comparison thread. The car runs awesome with it. I am not sure if the first revision is v4 as the file name was still v3.x but it did take longer to load than the previous Strat tunes so maybe the name was a typo (thinking the added features and rates may increase the file size/load time).

Ya, people hate the concept of the kazoo box but it actually is at least genuine real-time noise vs. the FoST... and for sure a modified intake does add some sound, I should have thought about that more before replying, heh... but after looking into it, I think I'm gonna go with the front muffler/res delete, adds some real exhaust sound but no drone. Heck, just a drop in filter added intake and BOV sound but I know you got yours in the MP215 package... Anyway, to go with this thread, I like how my Stratified tune makes my kazoo sound louder and mightier as the tunes' real increase in boost does make it louder too! :)
The tones you're hearing are in the frequency of the engine, but are not genuine.
They're basically amplified intake sounds.
Not sure what other car manufacturers do, perhaps just place a piezo on the engine, and send the modified signal to the speakers; it would be exactly the same.
You're not hearing the genuine exhaust note; just some synthesized sound (aka symposer).

I agree with XR650R; I like my cars quiet. Just like it is stock. (with or without symposer).

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #86
The tones you're hearing are in the frequency of the engine, but are not genuine.
They're basically amplified intake sounds.
Not sure what other car manufacturers do, perhaps just place a piezo on the engine, and send the modified signal to the speakers; it would be exactly the same.
You're not hearing the genuine exhaust note; just some synthesized sound (aka symposer).

I agree with XR650R; I like my cars quiet. Just like it is stock. (with or without symposer).
On the FoST it's literally pre-recorded sounds sent to the speakers, ours is a kazoo box that is right in the turbo piping so it's created directly based on exact load, far better than completely pre-recorded sounds, it provides 100% real-time feedback, it's really kind of genius how they do it, it's not comparable to pre-recorded speaker sounds, this is actual load based vibrations... so if I'm going to remove it I'm going to want some more exhaust sound or something, and an easy way to do that is remove the front muffler, but leave the rear intact.... but to each their own, I just don't think it's worth messing with unless you have plenty of added sound from intake and exhaust to make up for it. Again, I like how it's a bit louder with the added boost from the tune, it literally is proportionally louder based on the added performance and works well, FWIW...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #87
As [MENTION=9500]danbfree[/MENTION] stated back to this thread:

I posted info for the first round of the high torque tune in my stage one tune comparison thread. The car runs awesome with it. I am not sure if the first revision is v4 as the file name was still v3.x but it did take longer to load than the previous Strat tunes so maybe the name was a typo (thinking the added features and rates may increase the file size/load time).
Yeah, they have a number of different people working there, maybe they just forgot to update the name after working on it manually... Anyway, i'm not getting e30, just not enough stations around me and doesn't cost any less than regular gas when it CAN be found unfortunately, but 93 tune works great with our underrated 92 labeled premium, and that has shown a noticeable difference over the 91 tune, so gotta be happy for that at least.

The previous owner I purchased my car from had a 3.10 tune, am I eligible to upgrade to the 4.00 for $25 or will I need to start over completely?

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #89
The previous owner I purchased my car from had a 3.10 tune, am I eligible to upgrade to the 4.00 for $25 or will I need to start over completely?
Very good question, I believe the tune follows the car, it's married to the VIN, from what I read on the email that came with my Strat tune, but I'm sure they will jump in here and confirm. :)

LILIKE16ST

Another thing people need to account for is feel...when running crap fuel the car isn't going to feel nearly as good as it could with better fuel. I never ran anything but 93 in mine since new and I even specifically asked the dealer to make sure and fill it with 93 on the first fill up. I started running e30 3 months back and have not used anything else since. It just feels so much better than 93...much smoother and more eager. Driving feel improved dramatically imo and makes day to day driving better even if you're not at WOT. Same is true on stock tune I'm sure when running 87 vs 91-93. There is no way I'd ever run 87 in this car period...I just don't get it lol. It's a performance car put good fuel in it. I'm averaging 27-28 mpg on e30 I think that's fantastic considering the power this car has. I'll take it every day of the week and twice on Sunday lol

LILIKE16ST

As for the symposer I liked it when I was stock because the car was far too quiet stock. Now that I have a straight piped catback and cpe intake I no longer needed it so whoosh symposer delete was installed few weeks back. Cleaned up the engine bay and done away with a potential future boost leak it also helped quit down interior drone some...it's still there on the highway at certain speeds but I don't really care but I did notice the symposer delete helped with that some.

On the FoST it's literally pre-recorded sounds sent to the speakers, ours is a kazoo box that is right in the turbo piping so it's created directly based on exact load, far better than completely pre-recorded sounds, it provides 100% real-time feedback, it's really kind of genius how they do it, it's not comparable to pre-recorded speaker sounds, this is actual load based vibrations... so if I'm going to remove it I'm going to want some more exhaust sound or something, and an easy way to do that is remove the front muffler, but leave the rear intact.... but to each their own, I just don't think it's worth messing with unless you have plenty of added sound from intake and exhaust to make up for it. Again, I like how it's a bit louder with the added boost from the tune, it literally is proportionally louder based on the added performance and works well, FWIW...
If I were in your shoes, I would hope there's a way to disable that kind of recorded sound.
It sounds to me the opposite of what Mercedes did in the 90's and the 2000's, where they used the speakers to create dead zones in the cabin; where the speakers would nullify (or almost nullify) the engine sounds.

As for the symposer I liked it when I was stock because the car was far too quiet stock. Now that I have a straight piped catback and cpe intake I no longer needed it so whoosh symposer delete was installed few weeks back. Cleaned up the engine bay and done away with a potential future boost leak it also helped quit down interior drone some...it's still there on the highway at certain speeds but I don't really care but I did notice the symposer delete helped with that some.
I removed the engine cover and taken out the hood padding. Not much difference noticed, but I reckon it must be some.

There are other ways to make your engine sound louder, the easiest one being, drilling a hole in the exhaust can. Usually between 3/8" to 3/4" in diameter.
The best position usually is on the rear flank, near to the side wall. Sounds the best that way.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #95
If I were in your shoes, I would hope there's a way to disable that kind of recorded sound.
It sounds to me the opposite of what Mercedes did in the 90's and the 2000's, where they used the speakers to create dead zones in the cabin; where the speakers would nullify (or almost nullify) the engine sounds.
Absolutely, there is a simple enabled/disable right in the Stratified tune for the FoST... Anyway, I was just giving the other guy a hard time, as there are a lot of people who are all set on doing the symposer delete, but then have zero other upgrades to even hear what's going on with the car... in this case he has the MP215/ST200 modified intake, so that was enough feedback for him... I like how even a simple drop-in filter does add some nice little turbo sound too, but to end this, i'll just say I'm glad Stratifed has done all they can to tap into features they can let us change/disable, whatever. :)

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #96
I removed the engine cover and taken out the hood padding. Not much difference noticed, but I reckon it must be some.

There are other ways to make your engine sound louder, the easiest one being, drilling a hole in the exhaust can. Usually between 3/8" to 3/4" in diameter.
The best position usually is on the rear flank, near to the side wall. Sounds the best that way.
Interesting and simple way to add some sound... I took off the engine cover not for sound but simply for the warmer 8-9 months of the year where I live is quite mild and don't need to trap heat to warm my car up. Sure, it hits the "fully warm" oil temp of 160 a little slower but I have noticed it helps with engine temps now that it's getting hot out.

Interesting and simple way to add some sound... I took off the engine cover not for sound but simply for the warmer 8-9 months of the year where I live is quite mild and don't need to trap heat to warm my car up. Sure, it hits the "fully warm" oil temp of 160 a little slower but I have noticed it helps with engine temps now that it's getting hot out.
Exactly why I did it!
Too bad that even with the engine cover off, there still is a whole bunch of plastic crap on the engine, that can't be removed easily; since the plugs are mounted on it, as well as some wiring depends on the protection of that plastic.

The best sound is had with 1 or 2 holes in the exhaust can, preferably if you do 2 holes, make them far apart.
Not like this, where the many holes actually kind of cancel each other out:

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #98
Exactly why I did it!
Too bad that even with the engine cover off, there still is a whole bunch of plastic crap on the engine, that can't be removed easily; since the plugs are mounted on it, as well as some wiring depends on the protection of that plastic.

The best sound is had with 1 or 2 holes in the exhaust can, preferably if you do 2 holes, make them far apart.
Not like this, where the many holes actually kind of cancel each other out:
(removed image for space courtesy)/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I will try deleting the front muffler ("resonator" around here) but keep it in case it needs to be added on... since the exhaust obviously flows right through that area after, there is no drone, just more sound out the back... Obviously some guys delete both mufflers, but doing just the front muffler/resonator it makes it sound great, based on videos anyway, heh..