Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New winter tires for a 2016 Ford fiesta SE

So I'm new here and had a question I want to upgrade the tires on my car as I work in the winter months I own a 2016 Ford fiesta SE the tires on it now are some cheap tires I ordered through a local gas station in my town in Maryland. I deice aircraft at my states airport We have to go in when it snows or doesn't snoe,looking to find out what my options are for a set of 4 tires to use during the winter months I'd like tires that will be a breeze in the snow, something with heavy tread if that makes sense.cheers all recommendations are welcomed

Dialcaliper

Step one if you haven’t is get a spare set of wheels for your winter tires. Most common winter size would be the 185/60R15 mentioned.

Nokian, Bridgestone and Michelin all make great snow tires. Another standout is Continental. General makes decent snow tires as well

Nokian Hakkepelita R5
Bridgestone Blizzak WS90
Continental VikingContact 7
General Altimax Arctic 12
Michelin Ice-X Snow

If you can change your own wheels and reinstall with a torque wrench, many of these are available from Tire Rack pre-mounted on a set of wheels (steel work well for winter), otherwise your local shop can do it, but you’ll save time and money being able to switch them out, as true snow tires are quite soft and wear quickly if they see a lot of dry pavement driving. Some will also feel a bit soft and squirmy on dry pavement.

There do exist “All-weather” tires which are long wearing all-seasons with snow rating, but they are a compromise and are not as good in the snow and especially icy conditions as a real snow tire due to the hard “all season” rubber and also not as good in the dry as an all-season due to the tall squirmy tread blocks

My favorite so far have actually been Continental WinterContact TS870 but they are hard to find in the US and not particularly cheap.

pixelzombie

I didn't know it, but My car had Blizzaks when I bought it. It handled very well during the first big storm we had. I went to a large parking lot and wasn't able to do any doughnuts which made sense after I saw what the tires were.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I didn't know it, but My car had Blizzaks when I bought it. It handled very well during the first big storm we had. I went to a large parking lot and wasn't able to do any doughnuts which made sense after I saw what the tires were.
Traction control being on will also prevent you from doing donuts in the snow.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you can even find them anymore, (I may call Cooper on Monday to see if they are still being produced in this size anymore) the Cooper Evolution Winters in 185/60-15 are a decent, lower cost option as well.