Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

NGK spark plug question

I recently ordered the NGK (6510) LTR7IX-11 spark plugs for my 2016. I took them out of the package and noticed that they don’t have crush washers. Looking at other spark plugs For my car it seems like none of them do. Is that a thing with the 1.6 Ecoboost engine? I’ve never had a vehicle that had spark plugs not come with crush washers and I just wanted to double check I didn’t order the wrong plugs somehow. Thanks in advance :)

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Tapered seats use the plug's outer shell to seal the combustion chamber. No gasket or sealer is required.
Can I run anti-seize? I got this great industrial grade anti-seize I want to use on my new plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Can I run anti-seize? I got this great industrial grade anti-seize I want to use on my new plugs.

Just don't use it if you run NGK plugs. It's right on their website, not to use it with their plugs and the explanation as to why not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
R
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the input y’all. Learned this morning that my usual spark plug socket does not fit around the spark plug so apparently I need a skinny one 🤷🏻‍♂️

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Booooo!

Dammit Ruben! Sorry...but I'm going to say. NO ...NO AND NO. Most spark plugs aren't meant to have Anti-seize on the threads. It can work against you later on down the line. People wonder why Spark plugs are so hard to get out! This is Due to over torqueing and not even knowing due to anti-seize increasing the Torque multiplier.

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/5-things-you-should-know-about-spark-plugs

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Some dingus put antisieze on the plugs of my mom's ranger. On top of being the wrong plugs in there we were fortunate to even get them out without having stripped threads. Fun things you find on 200,000 mile beaters, not.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I PUT IT ON ALL MY SPARK PLUGS, NEVER HAD AN ISSUE......
It is only for NGK brand but you need to read the article. Apparently they use some special coating so using anti-seizure will not allow you to torgue them down properly. They will possibly be over-torqued or possibly snap due to a false torque value being used.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Every vehicle I have owned had spark plug torque specs in IN/LBS. I’m sure most screw ups involved anti-seize and FT/LBS torque wrenches. What are the threads made of, peanut butter?!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So .... Pop quiz....What has everyone been Torquing their spark plugs too?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
^ till they are tight with my 3/8 drive ratchet that has a long handle.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I do believe its 13 ft lbs. And NOT ANY TIGHTER. It can cause issue with the plugs ability to dissipate heat. Food for thought....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: