Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Open rear hatch on disabled vehicle

V_2

My car got smashed up by a drunk driver and I'm trying to salvage all the parts I am able to get since insurance only covers the market value of a vehicle. I am looking into opening the hatch in order to remove the wing risers.

Is there a way to get it open when there is no power..battery cables are cut and extensive front wiring damage? I found a suggestion through google that said to punch a hole in the right side of the latch cover and dig around with a screwdriver until the latch releases. I'm planning to try that method if there isn't an alternative.

Has anyone run into this before?

There is a trunk release cable in cars with trunks to prevent kids from getting trapped. i would think there should be something similar here, but i can't say that i've actually seen it. maybe in one of the pockets on the side?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I doubt there is an obvious emergency release as you can't get stuck inside a hatch lol. but call the dealer. There must be an alternate way to open it during power loss. Also, check the owner's manual

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #4
I actually asked the dealer this weekend while I was signing for the new FiST and the service department just kinda shrugged. No real help in the owner's manual either. It doesn't mention opening the hatch without power. It's probably something they didn't think to or want to engineer in order to save cost. I mean, how often is a situation going to arise where an owner needs to open the hatch while the battery is dead?

This is what I was looking at last night. Guess it's worth a try..
http://www.justanswer.com/uk-ford/5ulyj-ford-fiesta-ford-fiesta-58-plate-boot-will-not-open.html

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
There is no emergency release as you can crawl out from the hatch into the passenger cabin and open a door. Best is connect a 12V battery and push the button.

OP
V_2

V_2

Thread Starter #7
Sounds like a plan...I'll supply 12v to the "locking and unlocking" fuse (26, passenger compartment) and see what that does before I start blindly stabbing into the latch cover.

Thanks!

I doubt there is an obvious emergency release as you can't get stuck inside a hatch lol. but call the dealer. There must be an alternate way to open it during power loss. Also, check the owner's manual
Make something idiot proof and they'll make a better idiot ;)

Sent from my Spaceship