Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Our Project Fiesta ST gets MORE Goodies! *Cobb content inside*

Not sure if you guys happened to catch it, but Modbargains' own project Fiesta ST, owned by [MENTION=282]BlueBomber[/MENTION], got some Stage 3 mods from Cobb and ST Suspensions.

Kick back for a few minutes to read through this write up filled with:
- Cobb FMIC
- ST coilovers
- Cobb turbo back exhaust

Write up is here: http://blog.modbargains.com/project-update-stage-iii-fiesta-st-mods-cobb-fmic-st-coilovers/

Remember, we are big on Cobb and Cobb is big on the Fiesta ST!

Feel free to email or PM me at Kevin@modbargains.com if you are interested in picking up these or any other parks on our website for your Fiesta ST!

Have a great weekend guys [rockon]

The author of that article describes the Cobb carted downpipe as one of the best power mods available, yet I've read multiple times on these forums that aftermarket downpipes yield absolutely no power gains when paired with stock turbo.

I'd be interested for someone to settle this once and for all. What, if anything, can be expected in terms of power gains from an upgraded downpipe?

It seems like the author indicated that the new DP might not have necessarily added new horsepower, but it allowed for the maximum horsepower of the engine to be applied much more quickly via faster turbo spool. Is this accurate?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Isn't the down pipe necessary to go to a stage 3 tune?
Cobb says that the DP is required for their stage 3 OTS tune. There are lots of guys on this forum that are running other tunes, including custom tunes, with the stock DP that deliver more gains than does the Cobb stage 3 OTS. I think that I remember reading that Cobb states that the cat. in the stock DP would get too hot with their stage 3 OTS. That doesn't seem to be a problem with other tuners.

I asked Adam at Tune+ and he said that the stock DP is the best option with a stock turbo. My guess that that Cobb has a "Stage 3 Package" which includes the DP and the tune and aren't all that interested in talking about a stage 3 without their DP ($$$).

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is a really questionable "informative" article. Those look like XXR 521's, not 512's, which matters if someone likes the look of the wheels, and you say that they're lighter than stock but not by how much, which matters if someone is looking for lighter wheels. The rear torsion bar will increase rear roll stiffness, which will increase the tendency of the the FiST to tripod, not decrease. The ST XTA's do have a camber adjuster on the top of the strut, but you've got to hole saw the top of your strut tower (which I've done) in order to get access to +/- .75? or so of adjustment without pulling the wheels, which you fail to mention. You claim a "ridiculous" "butt dyno" improvement in spool-up response with the Cobb DP but can't post a before/after data log. That would certainly help back up your claim, especially when your butt dyno findings are contrary to the that of practically every tuner on this forum (that a DP makes a big difference with a stock turbo). And then you talk down to the reader about what an improved intercooler actually does for the FiST: "As we?ve said before, an intercooler itself doesn?t make power, the intercooler allows your engine to work more efficiently and make its power more consistently." That makes it sound like you're selling a Turbonator.

Come on, @ModBargins, there are too many vendors and enthusiasts on this forum sharing dyno figures, data logs, and track experiences regarding some of the parts you're distributing for you to be wounded from a luke warm response to your marketing article. Since (I think) you're a distributor and not a manufacturer you're in a great position to use your new dyno to actually test of of the claims regarding down pipes and charge pipes and let us show our gratitude by buying the stuff that works the best from you.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Cobb says that the DP is required for their stage 3 OTS tune. There are lots of guys on this forum that are running other tunes, including custom tunes, with the stock DP that deliver more gains than does the Cobb stage 3 OTS. I think that I remember reading that Cobb states that the cat. in the stock DP would get too hot with their stage 3 OTS. That doesn't seem to be a problem with other tuners.
Are all of the aftermarket catcon type downpipes a higher flowing 'metal matrix' type core, whereas the factory uses an OEM type of more restrictive ceramic honeycomb core?? [dunno]

Aren't the Cobb OTS tunes overly rich to compensate for variances in thousands of cars necessatating a cat that works in a rich environment whereas having a custom tune negates the over-richness/not needing a different cat?

OP
ModBargains
Thread Starter #11
Isn't this article old??
August 30th 2016 - maybe there was a previous discussion of it on here or it was re-released but this is the first to my knowledge!

Just wanted to share a good write up that [MENTION=282]BlueBomber[/MENTION] did on his FiST showing some easy DIY mods

OP
ModBargains
Thread Starter #12
Isn't this article old??
August 30th 2016 - maybe there was a previous discussion of it on here or it was re-released but this is the first to my knowledge!

Just wanted to share a good write up that [MENTION=282]BlueBomber[/MENTION] did on his FiST showing some easy DIY mods

AzNightmare

Come on, @ModBargins, there are too many vendors and enthusiasts on this forum sharing dyno figures, data logs, and track experiences regarding some of the parts you're distributing for you to be wounded from a luke warm response to your marketing article. Since (I think) you're a distributor and not a manufacturer you're in a great position to use your new dyno to actually test of of the claims regarding down pipes and charge pipes and let us show our gratitude by buying the stuff that works the best from you.
I remember reading articles from ModBargains and watching Matt Farah videos on the FiST before I even bought the car. I got sold by it all...

But as I continued to research onward after getting my car and was planning my build, I realized a lot of stuff from Farah's videos and articles read on ModBargains should be taken with a grain of salt. They're not tuners nor do they R&D. They are vendors that strictly push out products and will market them well.

COBB products are top notch in quality, and their Access Port has given everyone the ability to easily gain more power with a simple tune. But their whole stage1, stage2, stage3 is just a clever marketing structure. Not all parts are necessary or power output has been significantly exaggerated.

I remember reading articles from ModBargains and watching Matt Farah videos on the FiST before I even bought the car. I got sold by it all...

But as I continued to research onward after getting my car and was planning my build, I realized a lot of stuff from Farah's videos and articles read on ModBargains should be taken with a grain of salt. They're not tuners nor do they R&D. They are vendors that strictly push out products and will market them well.

COBB products are top notch in quality, and their Access Port has given everyone the ability to easily gain more power with a simple tune. But their whole stage1, stage2, stage3 is just a clever marketing structure. Not all parts are necessary or power output has been significantly exaggerated.
I too was sold on a FiST from the Farrah videos. Do you think the power numbers he posted were exaggerated even though he used a dyno?

AzNightmare

I too was sold on a FiST from the Farrah videos. Do you think the power numbers he posted were exaggerated even though he used a dyno?
Well I don't think they are exaggerated, but they might not necessarily be accurate if he only did one run. And I'm not sure which dyno machine he was using, but some dyno machines give off higher numbers than others. His stock FiST was already putting out 230 wtq.

But I feel his video on the FiST's performance compared to the E46 M3 was most likely biased. The stage2 FiST vs WRX as well.
And COBB's tunes do more than the parts themselves. Most people in the forum will agree the intake system does squat and arguably the drop in panel does nothing either. Exhaust makes a negligible difference, and the usefulness of the downpipe is the biggest debate of all.

Seems like the only guaranteed useful upgrade that everyone agrees on is the intercooler... but of course, imo, the hardpipe kit is not necessary.

:D

But I think the key thing in a debate is that people need to be very clear whether the debate is on:
-numbers (where 1 or 2 hp = success)
-practical performance (where you can actually feel the difference and get faster drag/lap times, we're not talking about butt dyno)
-cost/gain ratio (only worth buying it if it meets "X" performance criteria)

Well I don't think they are exaggerated, but they might not necessarily be accurate if he only did one run. And I'm not sure which dyno machine he was using, but some dyno machines give off higher numbers than others. His stock FiST was already putting out 230 wtq.

But I feel his video on the FiST's performance compared to the E46 M3 was most likely biased. The stage2 FiST vs WRX as well.
And COBB's tunes do more than the parts themselves. Most people in the forum will agree the intake system does squat and arguably the drop in panel does nothing either. Exhaust makes a negligible difference, and the usefulness of the downpipe is the biggest debate of all.

Seems like the only guaranteed useful upgrade that everyone agrees on is the intercooler... but of course, imo, the hardpipe kit is not necessary.

:D

But I think the key thing in a debate is that people need to be very clear whether the debate is on:
-numbers (where 1 or 2 hp = success)
-practical performance (where you can actually feel the difference and get faster drag/lap times, we're not talking about butt dyno)
-cost/gain ratio (only worth buying it if it meets "X" performance criteria)
I agree the tune does the work, and the parts are mostly support in helping the tune function as it should. There are definitely gains to be had from a proper tune with the supporting parts to help it achieve its potential though. Alot of posts on here from people who have dyno'ed their car seem to be around Farahs numbers. Coming from a bolt on and tuned 2012 wrx to the fiesta the sensation of speed and driving fun definitely favors the Fiesta. Not saying it is faster but it certainly feels like it.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
The author of that article describes the Cobb carted downpipe as one of the best power mods available, yet I've read multiple times on these forums that aftermarket downpipes yield absolutely no power gains when paired with stock turbo.

I'd be interested for someone to settle this once and for all. What, if anything, can be expected in terms of power gains from an upgraded downpipe?

It seems like the author indicated that the new DP might not have necessarily added new horsepower, but it allowed for the maximum horsepower of the engine to be applied much more quickly via faster turbo spool. Is this accurate?
Hi there, author of said article here.

I haven't really been on the forums the past 8-9 months while I've been getting my ST running right again so I'll go ahead and address this.

At the time I wrote this, that's what the understanding was; only recently have people like Peter figured out you can make almost the same power with the stock downpipe and enlarged inlet/outlets.

What's more, even getting a downpipe in the USA at all is getting very very hard. I can't even sell you one in CA anymore, I don't think - things have gotten VERY hard for the aftermarket in the last month or so. Environmental agencies are nailing the entirety of the aftermarket and have hit basically every shop in SoCal and are working their way across the USA.

With a catted downpipe, I noticed a definite difference in how the car delivered its power, but like I said, I've been out of the game for a while as I've been fixing what broke, and to be frank with you, I've been avoiding going here because it made me depressed and sad because for eight months I made payments on a broken car.

The article will be revised again soon, there are certainly some new things to be explored - when I first wrote this, the car was barely even out and as such, we've learned more as a community.

I'm getting back into R&D for Fiesta stuff personally so i have more of an idea of where things are at now and some of the new developments in the scene.

Over the past two weeks, I figured out how to shove that bigass Wagner Tuning stepped core FMIC into the car without cutting the crashbar of a USA car, and without cutting the bumper or anything.

My current setup is stock tune, wagner FMIC, muffler delete w/stock downpipes and catback, modified injen Intake mated to OEM airbox, revised, SEALED ducting for just two inlets on the airbox. The stock downpipe seems to be making good power with the muffler gone, which leads me to believe that's probably the only real restriction with the stock turbocharger.

Since I wrote the article we know a lot more about turbochargers, records have been made and broken; we know the car can make power into the 400's if you wanna get crazy with ti

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club

As I said in my comment below, things have changed and more parts have become available

I've always recommended a pro-tune, and an accessport is still hands-down, the preferred way to go for tuning the car. I do not recommend running the OTS maps too long if you can avoid it. The "Stage" package idea just makes it simpler for people to understand what class of mods are necessary to run a given tune - all that's really needed for Stage II is an FMIC, all that's really needed for Stage III maps are the FMIC and Downpipe, or at least, that's what the understanding was.

As I said in the post below, even selling a downpipe will be hard very soon in the USA. Even I'm changing how I'm thinking about downpipes and am currently running a stock one myself, having sold my cobb one to pay for my engine replacement.

The article shows updated August 30th because I had to delete some things from the article, along with almost every other article to clarify for EPA compliance etc.

I would still advise a downpipe if trying to run a Stage 3 tune, but as I have always said, brand is not really important so long as you have that "class" of modification covered, you are set.

At the time, Cobb parts were one of the best options on the market, and since then much, much more has become available as more companies give a shit about our platform; I just haven't had the chance to make a major update - if you read it keeping in mind I originally wrote that in 2014, it makes a lot of sense why it says what it does.

At the shop I work at, the dyno is now operational.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
I think they used their best run and they also were using a custom tune not off the shelf mapping.

BTW I agree the intake is almost negligible, however I do think there's gains to be had, but in the intake pipe itself and by modifying the airbox and its inlet snorkel. For sure, i like the car more with the injen tube mated to the stock airbox than with the stock one.