Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

P0012, P0014, and P0330 after engine and turbo overhaul

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So it has been 5 months in the making. Finally got the engine put in and everything. These are the codes I'm getting. I do think these codes could be caused by the viscosity of the oil I am using though. I am currently using motul 10w 40 mineral break in oil. Also, could very well be bad camshaft sensors. Could use some help though.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
First recheck all of your engine wiring connections.
You may have one harness connection not plugged in correctly.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I went over the engine 3 times. I did forget things at first but it's all been corrected now. My concern is before I even pulled the engine the last codes I got were these same codes. It started knocking on a few cylinders then it three the codes on the cams and pulled power. I think it may be my position sensors but the car only had 21k miles on it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If you're telling me you had those exact same codes on the engine you blew up I would replace the sensors.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
A simple fault may be that your cam belt is off one tooth.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
If you're telling me you had those exact same codes on the engine you blew up I would replace the sensors.

See that's what I'm thinking too but would it be the vvt sensors or would it be the position sensors or could it be all of them

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
See that's what I'm thinking too but would it be the vvt sensors or would it be the position sensors or could it be all of them

Did the new engine come with new VVT sensors?
If not I would say your vvt technically solenoids not sensors are bad. It is their job to adjust the cam timing by oil flow.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Sensors don't usually fail in groups.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Did the new engine come with new VVT sensors?
If not I would say your vvt technically solenoids not sensors are bad. It is their job to adjust the cam timing by oil flow.

Yeah then it would be the solenoids. And no the crate didn't come with new ones. I may check it with 12v power tomorrow.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Yeah then it would be the solenoids. And no the crate didn't come with new ones. I may check it with 12v power tomorrow.

My concern is oil flows through them and they help control the cam timing. Your engine blew up or maybe before your engine blew up they got some type of garbage in them and they are not able to work properly.
I could be totally wrong but I hope I'm right because they are not that expensive.
The cam phasers are dependent on the solenoids working correctly.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
My concern is oil flows through them and they help control the cam timing. Your engine blew up or maybe before your engine blew up they got some type of garbage in them and they are not able to work properly.
I could be totally wrong but I hope I'm right because they are not that expensive.
The cam phasers are dependent on the solenoids working correctly.

Yeah. When my engine exploded last I thought my timing belt jumped but the likely hood of 2 engines experiencing the same jump is practically 0 which points me to those solenoids. I'm gonna order some from Amazon. They should be here by Monday. I'm just surprised they failed so early in the life of the car.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Well I hope it works for you. I totally agree with you chances are basically zero. I can't imagine as much as that engine cost they didn't perfectly time the cams from the factory.

It is possible during the process of your engine killing itself that metal shavings got into the solenoids making them useless.
I don't know but it makes sense and I really hope this fixes your problem.
The problems with variable valve timing solenoids are a lot more common than you would think. So it's definitely possible they were not working correctly.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Be advised that most crate engines are supplied by third party vendors.
I bought one before direst from Ford and found this out.
The problem I found at that time is that the rings were installed up side down.
So, a belt off a tooth would not surprise me at all.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Be advised that most crate engines are supplied by third party vendors.
I bought one before direst from Ford and found this out.
The problem I found at that time is that the rings were installed up side down.
So, a belt off a tooth would not surprise me at all.
Wow that Sucks.
The reason I believe it could be the solenoids 2 engines in a row same code, and VVT solenoids are known to cause that code.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I just have always thought testing was cheaper than replacing.
Belt timing is easy to check and it is free.
In addition, our engine is as interference type so, a belt being misaligned could be potentially catastrophic.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
I just have always thought testing was cheaper than replacing.
Belt timing is easy to check and it is free.
In addition, our engine is as interference type so, a belt being misaligned could be potentially catastrophic.
Mountune purchases their crates directly from Ford. Also I agree testing and checking are free but I'm pretty certain I have the part nailed down and if not it was only 32 dollars for both on prime.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If someone did want to check for free those solenoids can be removed and have 12 volts supplied to them. You can run a cleaner through them to clean out the crap and see if they are moving with 12 volts.

Lots of videos out there with people having issues with VVT solenoids. Mostly on the Ford 5.4 that had big issues with the cam phasers.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Found a few specks on the intake side but nothing extreme

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
So I am going to go ahead and do what was suggested and check every connector until the parts get here tomorrow. I am cleaning everything but nothing seems to be the source of the problem. There was a post from a guy on here though from China who had a very similar issue and his ecu was bad. I hope that's not my problem.

Check your phasers. Mine loosened up when I was working on my car. Not sure what caused it but what you’re describing is what happened to me.