Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

P0017 after timing belt

Hello!

I got my timing belt done in the last 500mi.

since then every 50-100mi the engine light comes on with code P0017. I brought it back down to my mechanic and he cleaned a bit of dirt out of the solenoid and it came back on again.

I have heard that the ECU needs something along the lines of a reset and needs to know about the new timing? If not, is there any other things that needed to be done?

The car drives fine, no running rough/drop in mpg as I’ve heard is common. Could also be a bad sensor but I would assume it would throw Much quicker than 50ish miles?

Cheers

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The primary reason that P0017 happens is the timing is off between the crankshaft and cam. That would mean the timing belt was incorrectly installed.

The other reasons have to do with oil pressure problems to cam phasers....

I always hated doing TB on Ford Ecoboosts. Did one on a Ranger Rover Envoque. Not fun.

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
The primary reason that P0017 happens is the timing is off between the crankshaft and cam. That would mean the timing belt was incorrectly installed.

The other reasons have to do with oil pressure problems to cam phasers....
Is there any other procedure that needs to be done when doing the belt (such as reset the timing for the ECU)? Or is it standard enough: get the tools, change the belt and you’re done.
Any idea why it would take about 50 miles each time for the light to come on?

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
I always hated doing TB on Ford Ecoboosts. Did one on a Ranger Rover Envoque. Not fun.
Yeah timing isn’t something I’d be confident with, most other things sure but not that

Yeah timing isn’t something I’d be confident with, most other things sure but not that
This 1.6 actually isn't so bad to do. Belt is not in oil and no balanceshaft either. With the correct tools and the service manual it's very easy. My 1.0 EcoBoost was more difficult than this one.

meddylad

Hello!

I got my timing belt done in the last 500mi.

since then every 50-100mi the engine light comes on with code P0017. I brought it back down to my mechanic and he cleaned a bit of dirt out of the solenoid and it came back on again.

I have heard that the ECU needs something along the lines of a reset and needs to know about the new timing? If not, is there any other things that needed to be done?

The car drives fine, no running rough/drop in mpg as I’ve heard is common. Could also be a bad sensor but I would assume it would throw Much quicker than 50ish miles?

Cheers
I had my TB done a few days ago and the car was throwing a P0016 which was a crankshaft sensor mismatch - the garage had to do a reset via the OBDII port so Im guessing that some sort of reset is needed after a TB change

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
Nice one for the info, my belt was actually half a tooth out really strange had to get it re-done (under warranty ofc [readthis])