Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

P0442, P0454 accompanied with smoke and fumes inside

I assume my evap harness has finally failed given the codes, but it keeps filling my cabin with smoke and fumes under load. Seems to be inconsistent, but if I do 80 it seems to be most likely to happen and tends to stop when I stop or slow down. No obvious sign of leaks or drips anywhere and I'm over an hour away from home so I'm trying to figure out my options. Runs fine, same stumbling at idle like the updated harness is known to give but no loss of power or anything and my AP doesn't seem to show anything obvious in the gauges. The answer I assume is obviously to replace the evap harness (which I should have years ago but... It worked till now).

I couldn't find any reports about smoke or fumes inside from it so I figure I should at least post about it saying this has happened to me too for anyone else unlucky enough to have it happen to them. Been watching it idle for 10 minutes with the hood up and everything looks and sounds as normal.

OP
Williamson
Thread Starter #2
I figured out what happened and it was my fuckup. My exhaust clamp from the mid section to the rear section keeps popping off and the last time it happened I got sick of fixing it just to have it come off and ignored it since it seemed to be fine. And it was, till yesterday. Turns out the evap line runs at least partially under the exhaust heat shield and the mid section is perfectly placed to blow back the heat shield and melt the shit out of the line. And surprise surprise, it smells faintly of gas right there. Luckily it seems like it's the only thing that got cooked so... Maybe I can just cut and replace the affected sections instead of rerouting a whole replacement line?

Definitely one of my dumber fuckups and I think it's going to be a more aggravating one to fix lol

OP
Williamson
Thread Starter #4
Good luck, we all screw up, it's just a part of being human. Hope it's not too hard to fix.
Fingers crossed advice from other people who have screwed up the same on other platforms holds true, because if so it'll be an afternoon fix. That said, having put everything back together I suddenly don't have the stumbling at idle after filling up and no codes pop up. It would be pretty funny if I fixed the issue by melting the line and venting to atmosphere instead