Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PCV & Crankcase Vent Modifications

Hello everyone, I’ve been slowly modifying my stock pcv/crankcase vent system because of some issues I was having. I started with a radium catch can for the vent that goes to the intake manifold. I also have a 2JR intake with the other crankcase vent routed there. The intake-side does not have a catch can since I’ve never really had much oil go through there in the first place. Do note that these two mods were done before I had any issues.

Everything was great until the car started burning oil on decel after high-boost pulls. So, I did some digging and asked a lot of people and concluded that it was something related to the pcv as I found a LOT of oil in the pcv line that goes to the intake manifold (even though I have a catch can…) My guess was that the pressure inside the motor had nowhere to go and ended up shooting through said line straight into the manifold. Also, I think boost might’ve been creeping up into the pcv line and into the catch can.

To test, I went and got a cheapo autozone oil cap breather replacement and wrapped a towel around it to prevent oil from spraying through. This worked and stopped the issue I’ve since gotten a baffled breather and a check valve for the pcv line that goes back to the intake manifold and the issue still hasn’t returned (thank god).

To figure out a more permanent fix I wanted to get some feedback on a possible pcv breather. This would involve turning the existing catch can into a catch can with a breather and completely deleting the side that goes to the intake manifold.

Basically, instead of

Valve cover vent -> Catch can -> intake manifold

it’ll be:

valve cover vent -> catch can -> atmosphere

What do you guys think?
IMG_8164.jpeg

I personally don't care for the VTO catch can as most of the fumes end up in the cabin after a pull. Tolerable on a dedicated race car, but an annoyance on a DD IMO. In my DSM days I recall running the vent line to a line attached to another catch can that ran to a vacuum source. I had to empty the 2nd can every once in a while to prevent smoke out of the exhaust. In another scenario I ran a line from the top of the catch can vent outlet to somewhere underneath the car with a vent filter there where fumes did not enter the car.