Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Performance question about going to 205/45-17

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Hello! First post here. I've already learned a lot about my FiST by spending lots of time here. Thank you. I have a question and can't seem to find an answer:

I would like to buy BFG Sport Comp 2 tires to replace my worn stock rubber. I'm thinking of going to 205/45-17 instated of the stock 205/40-17 for more cushion and tire options. Because of the additional rotational mass, I'm considering the O.Z. Leggenda that's 4 pounds lighter per wheel than stock. Will a lighter wheel offset the gearing and power disadvantage of the 3% larger tire? I could go with 15" or 16" wheels but aesthetically I prefer the 17" for my DD. I may consider a separate set of wheels later if I begin tracking this car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF I were going to move to a 205/45-17, it would be the excellent, class leading, Michelin Pilot Super Sport option for street use.

Yes, they are a good deal more coin than the Comp 2s, but that's because they are WORTH IT for their superior performance. [wink]

The Leggendas are a great looking wheel, but the Ultraleggeras are the lighter (by 3 more pounds yet than stock) OZed option.

I was also thinking of picking up 205/45/17 to replace my stockers, but man it is so hard with all the options and opinions that I appreciate but so many different recommendations. I just daily drive my car but I heard the BFG SC 2's are quite good.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
True, for not pushing it too hard, daily driven use, the BFG Comp 2s are quite good, for almost $45.00 each less than the Pilot Super Sports.

I just could not resist getting them if they were made in a size I could/would use, since they are THAT good!!

True, for not pushing it too hard, daily driven use, the BFG Comp 2s are quite good, for almost $45.00 each less than the Pilot Super Sports.

I just could not resist getting them if they were made in a size I could/would use, since they are THAT good!!
I just wonder if there is something at least as good as the stockers or slightly better for cheaper but it's hard to get stone cold facts.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Thank you for the suggestions. I've owned several sets of PSS and they are great. However, I'd rather save $$$ with this particular wheel package as I'm not looking for max performance as much as I'm looking for comfort and aesthetics. I don't think the traction and performance of the BFG will disappoint. I'm running a Cobb IC, drop in filter and AP3 with Stage2 93 OTS map. Perhaps I'm overthinking this.. IF I were disappointed in the torque after installing the larger tire, I could just get a pro tune.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I personally do not think it would kill your bottom end torque, which these cars have in too much of an abundance with the factory turbo, regardless of tune it seems.

Quelling some of that 'donkey punch' torque with a slightly taller overall gear ratio, due to taller overall diameter tires, is NOT a bad thing, and might actually help with the wheel spin, and torque steer to some extent. [:)]

The fender gap will certainly look better, at the stock factory suspension ride height, with the taller tires under the car. [thumb]

I actually wish that Ford would have used this size tire as the stock setup, IF they had to go 17" wheels anyway.
As you've stated, MANY MORE tire options in that size, and a slightly 'cushier' ride as well, without giving up ALL of this car's famed turn-in. [wink]

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
I'm glad someone else is thinking along the same lines! Thanks M-Sport!

I wonder if this size tire would rub with Mountune springs?
I would think some could happen. Mountune lowers it by 1.1/0.8 correct? The overall diameter of the Comp 2 in 205/45/17 is 24.3" compared with 23.4" for stock. Also the tread width is slightly (.2") wider on the comp 2.

I went with the 205/45's early on because I needed an all season tire and wanted a little better ride. As mentioned, you have way more options with the taller sidewall and I ended up with the Conti DWS's which have been great tires. When it's time to replace them I'll either go with the newer DWS's or the BFG Comp 2's, most definitely in the larger size. For the way I drive, the performance hit is almost non-existent.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Hey OP, thanks for posting! This is exactly what has been on my mind lately.

M-Sport fan - thanks for posting also. I was already leaning to the PSS, not necessarily for the extra performance (although it is nice it is not my 1st priority either), but rather for it's overall refinement. I would like a quieter, smoother ride also and from what I've seen so far, it would excel in that area too over the bfg comp 2s.

To be fair, I may be a little biased compared to the other posters here as I'm already a michelin fan. If I hadn't been preparing my wallet already for the Michelins, I'd probably agree with them too and go for the BFGs.

Too bad you can't test drive tires...

Sent using Tapatalk

Those considering the BFG SC-2's or similar in 205-45-R17 might also want to take a look at the new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. They are rebadged Bridgestones and according to Tire Rack they outperform the SC-2's in some respects and are similarly priced. There is a thread of others who are trying them out: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/10882-Firestone-Firehawk-Indy-500

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Nice find Joker! Thank you for the suggestion.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hey OP, thanks for posting! This is exactly what has been on my mind lately.

M-Sport fan - thanks for posting also. I was already leaning to the PSS, not necessarily for the extra performance (although it is nice it is not my 1st priority either), but rather for it's overall refinement. I would like a quieter, smoother ride also and from what I've seen so far, it would excel in that area too over the bfg comp 2s.

To be fair, I may be a little biased compared to the other posters here as I'm already a michelin fan. If I hadn't been preparing my wallet already for the Michelins, I'd probably agree with them too and go for the BFGs.

Too bad you can't test drive tires...

The PSS is one of those excellent tires that I WISH Michelin would release in the sizes we could use on aftermarket, 16" & 17" wheels, but sadly, they probably never will. [:(]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Michelins come standard on quite a few luxury vehicles. They play a key part in giving those vehicles their trademark feel. By keeping the tires less available it adds to it's exclusiveness.

Most importantly though, I don't think there is sufficient demand for these tires at this size because of their price point.

Sent using Tapatalk

I had to ditch my stock tires at 14k, 3/32 on fronts and a nail through the rear at 6/32. Now I just rotated my new set and at 17k and all are at 3/32.
I currently have the PS04 but want to go back to stock tire size. Not a fan at all of Michelin and would rather stay with Bridgestone/Firestone. My choices are 205/45 Indy 500 or the 205/40 Michelin ps as.
Just checked with Costco today and they showed 205/40 Michelin super sport as for 89 bucks a tire. Next week with coupon it would be less than 400 Otd installed.

Decisions decisions.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I had to ditch my stock tires at 14k, 3/32 on fronts and a nail through the rear at 6/32. Now I just rotated my new set and at 17k and all are at 3/32.
I currently have the PS04 but want to go back to stock tire size. Not a fan at all of Michelin and would rather stay with Bridgestone/Firestone. My choices are 205/45 Indy 500 or the 205/40 Michelin ps as.
Just checked with Costco today and they showed 205/40 Michelin super sport as for 89 bucks a tire. Next week with coupon it would be less than 400 Otd installed.

Decisions decisions.
I like Michelins but I actually switched to the wide ovals that were on sale for around $60 a tire. I had 17k on stocks (mostly all freeway miles) but still about
7/16 left...couldn't pass up the deal though and the oems were really noisy and harsh. I was looking for a reason to change.

The wide ovals were not as responsive as oem but I don't race, just some spirited driving here and there so it was not so important for me. The wide ovals were a lot quieter and had a slightly smoother ride. Smoother turns too and less twitchy. The grip was not terrible. It still turns well considering. It also seems like the tread is more durable. In 10k miles on these and it still looks almost new. Not even close to needing new tires yet. Good and bad since I'm thinking of trying the michelin a/s next...guess I'll just wait until these run out though.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
I ended up staying with the stock 205/40-17 size since I'm considering Swift springs. I mounted a set of Falken RT615K on 17x7 OZ Leggenda wheels. The RT615K definitely grips better in 1st and 2nd with my Cobb OTS Stage 2 tune. Before, 1st was useless under hard acceleration and 2nd wasn't much better. Controlling spin in 2nd is much easier now. I feel like the sidewalls are slightly softer than the Bridgestones, but it didn't take long to adjust my driving to accommodate. I love how supple and quiet they are. I'm happy with them for daily driving and I look forward to running them on the track soon.

I stopped by another tire shop today and said that I should not get the Michelin AS as they are not rated W which the ST calls for. It may be a liability item for any shop that installs less than recommended tire.

Right now it's between the 204/45 Indy 500 for $100 and the 205/40 re050 for 126 both through tirerack unless I find a better deal somewhere. Black Friday maybe?