Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Persistent high pressure fuel issue

Tim_021

Hey everyone,

I’ve been dealing with a persistent fuel system issue for months now, i have tried everything I could think of without success and I’m a bit at a loss.

The current Issue:
My car consistently loses fuel pressure at the high-pressure fuel rail for a split second, dropping from 2500psi to around 100psi, causing a the car to go lean, it feels like you just fully let of the gas. Currently it primarily occurs when applying more than 70% throttle. Before replacing the high-pressure fuel pump, it would happen randomly and sometimes sit at 100psi for minutes.

DCT Codes:
I have gotten multiple dct codes over the last while. I searched for them but haven't really found anything that seems related to my issue. These codes also don't really come back that often, the last time they appeared was probably 3 months ago, even though the car has been having plenty of issues lately.

The first code:
  • P0251 (A13) - Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control A, Circuit Open.
A bit after replacing injectors, fuel pump, and tappet, I got these additional codes:
  • P2542 - Low Pressure Fuel System Sensor Circuit High, Circuit Voltage Above Threshold.
  • P0087 - High Pressure Fuel Rail Fault.

What I've Done So Far:
  • Replaced the high-pressure fuel pump twice.
  • Replaced the high-pressure fuel pump tappet.
  • Replaced injectors with 30% uprated double-sealed injectors and matching tune.
  • Replaced the low-pressure fuel pump with a 340l/h pump from Pumaspeed.
  • Replaced low and high-pressure fuel rail pressure sensors.
  • Replaced the throttle body.

Timeline of Events:
  • The trouble began this summer, approximately 3 months and 5000km after installing my new x48 turbo from Pumaspeed. Initially, my car experienced random drops in fuel pressure, first for a split second, mainly during acceleration, and later for minutes at the time every couple minutes.
  • I then replaced the high-pressure fuel pump, injectors, and the fuel pump tappet. This appeared to resolved the issue for about 300km, after which the problem resurfaced with fuel pressure dropping to 100psi for a split second. This then happened again after another 300km.
  • After another 100km the throttle body sometimes refused to respond to the gas pedal, refusing to open more than 20% until I let off the gas and pressed the gas pedal again. I replaced the throttle body, which sadly didn’t change anything and approximately 20km later, the high-pressure fuel rail would again consistently drop to 100 psi and stay there for minutes at a time, which would happen every couple minutes.
  • I then replaced both fuel rail pressure sensors, which seemed to have fixed it for about 50km, after which the fuel pressure once again went down to 100psi for a split second and then after another 100km it again started going down to 100psi for minutes at the time.
  • I replaced the high-pressure fuel pump for the second time while waiting for my new low-pressure fuel pump. This once again did not fully fix it and the fuel pressure now often drops for a split second whenever I apply more than about 70% throttle. The installation of the new low-pressure fuel pump over the last couple of days has, as expected, also not changed anything.

Additional Info:

My engine mods:
  • X48 hybrid turbo from Pumaspeed.
  • Pumaspeed Stage 3R 99 RON 4803 tune for 30% uprated injectors.
  • Custom 3-inch exhaust.
  • Cobra 3-inch sports cat downpipe.
  • 30% uprated double-sealed Bosch injectors.
  • Bosch high-pressure fuel pump.
  • Pro Alloy competition intercooler.
  • Pumaspeed R-Sport large-diameter boost pipes.
  • Pumaspeed stage 3 intake.
  • Forge blow-off valve.
  • 340 Lph Uprated In-Tank Fuel Pump.
  • Pumaspeed Racing Coil Pack.
  • Collins Engineering wastegate actuator.
  • NGK LTR7IX-11 Iridium Spark Plugs gapped to 0.65mm.

I have multiple forscan recordings available in which the issue is clearly visible, here are some screenshots:
  • Red = Fuel pump duty cycle.
  • Green = High-pressure fuel rail pressure actual.
  • Blue = High-pressure fuel rail pressure desired.
  • Yellow = Low-pressure fuel rail desired pressure.
  • Pink = High-pressure fuel rail pressure sensor voltage.
  • Cyan = Low-pressure fuel rail pressure sensor voltage.
Screenshot_2024-01-10-14-20-19-67_dee59b835d2f11fa6793e5fae3d98dbf.jpg Screenshot_2024-01-10-14-15-46-59_dee59b835d2f11fa6793e5fae3d98dbf.jpg Screenshot_2024-01-10-14-16-48-93_dee59b835d2f11fa6793e5fae3d98dbf.jpg Screenshot_2024-01-10-14-17-32-45_dee59b835d2f11fa6793e5fae3d98dbf.jpg Screenshot_2024-01-10-14-18-02-17_dee59b835d2f11fa6793e5fae3d98dbf.jpg

I’m sort of at a loss of what the issue could be since I've literally replaced every component in the fuel system I can think of. The only thing I haven't looked into yet is an electrical issue, but I have no idea how I would debug this. I would really appreciate any suggestions or ideas. If you've encountered a similar issue, your insights would be invaluable.

OP
Tim_021

Tim_021

Thread Starter #2
Brought it to a garage, turned out to be worn out connector on the high pressure fuel pump, they bent the pins on the fuel pump a little and it's now working perfectly again, i'm still replacing the connector just to be sure it won't happen again any time soon.