Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Powerstop Z23 Front and Rear Kit

Hmm... So Ford must be wrong then. Its cool man. No biggie. Good luck replacing those OEM Summer pads then.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Now this is from Tasca parts. Probably one of the number one places that people buy Ford parts from. You will notice both for front and rear you have 2 different pad options. We call them summer pads because they came on the car's with summer tires from the factory very simple to understand.. Screenshot_20230523_115000_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230523_115027_Chrome.jpg

Only because I enjoy the fact that no one is upset and appreciate that.
The "Comfort" pads are standard pads that come on the NON performance version Fiesta. Other than rear pads they match up and the titanium came with rear disc so that is why you see that option. The ST pad is the ST pad. There are not 2 options. You CAN get the comfort pad and that is what is standard on ANY fiesta. The ST did not have 2 seperate pads. When you ordered your Fiesta, same as when I ordered BOTH of my Focus ST's you opted for the tire but in no way did it change the pad and adding A/S was MORE expensive not less due to less pad quality. Unlike the mustang with track pack and the like you get different brakes all together but there are not different compounds for brake pads in any Fiesta ST.
Continuing to try and prove your point with aftermarket car parts stores online does not help you. Showing me build schematics (that I hope to have here shortly) will show you.

Call your dealership or go in and have them do your brakes, they wont have a choice of pads if you say OEM and your VIN will not reflect A/S tires or summer tires.

Hmm... So Ford must be wrong then. Its cool man. No biggie. Good luck replacing those OEM Summer pads then.
maybe i made a mistake with my post but @Ford ST is right, FoMoCo and Motorcraft are not the same. Motorcraft is the *aftermarket* OEM-style pad. if you go to your dealer and get replacement pads, you're not getting Motorcraft. You're getting a FoMoCo part number.

the talk around here is that the Motorcraft part # you and i linked to is the FoMoCo equivalent to the "summer pad". I read that they're the same part, just different distribution.

but if you're the one using that as proof that there is *only one style* brake pad, not only are you wrong, you're using the wrong information to try and prove your point. Motorcraft is not Ford Genuine Part. Ford Genuine Part is not Motorcraft (although they can be the exact same part like with this brake pad...yay confusion!)

edit: striking through what i originally wrote b/c you do know the difference but keeping it for reference. i see we're all on the same page coming to different conclusions. always appreciate these discussions.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Everyone except for you knows there's a different pad option. It is all over this site years and years of information. It is on other websites. You have chosen a hill to die on, so I will let you die on that hill and not waste any more time.

Incorrect. Hearsay is all it is. They never changed the pads for the tires that were mounted. 2 different points in assembly and pre kitted at different ends of the line. PLEASE go to Ford and order pads for your ST. Prove me right. I have done it now twice to make sure and I am correct. Same for Focus and the RS.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When you ordered your Fiesta, same as when I ordered BOTH of my Focus ST's you opted for the tire but in no way did it change the pad and adding A/S was MORE expensive not less due to less pad quality.
INCORRECT as far as the tires go at least.

I personally ORDERED this car NEW, and I did not pay $.01 more for the "NO COST OPTION" of the Michelin Pilot A/S 2 tires that were on it when it arrived at the dealership.

Ford may have changed it now in their parts listings, due to supplies depleting, or cost cutting measures, but the pads, right from the factory, had different part numbers on them depending on the speed rating of the tires installed at the build point. (I've seen this live, in person on various FiSTs.)

CSM

1000 Post Club
Man I tried to find the difference in "OEM Summer" pads and just OEM pads. No matter what tires you got your car with they all came with the same brake pads and ANYTHING other then those are a step up.
There definitely was a "sport" pad on the early cars. They came with cars that had summer tires whereas the optioned All season tire cars got the "comfort" pad

Ford totally dropped the sport pad, maybe in 2017+? If I'm remembering correctly.

Motorcraft = Ford. There isn't a debate here, there are 2 options.
Agreed. Ford owns and operates Motorcraft but they are technically two different companies and I only brought it up to mention how a Motorcraft part # may/will differ from a Ford Genuine Parts part#. Even when they're the same part made by Motorcraft. Such as with the brake pads in question.

To circle back to the original topic, I had a chance to track a set of the Powerstop Z23 pads this weekend (on an '01 Focus), and they were so-so. Had some alarming brake fade later in the day but I don't know if that was a fluid or pad issue. Also, on the track, they seemed to produce as much brake dust as the good stock FiST pads we've been discussing.

To circle back to the original topic, I had a chance to track a set of the Powerstop Z23 pads this weekend (on an '01 Focus), and they were so-so. Had some alarming brake fade later in the day but I don't know if that was a fluid or pad issue. Also, on the track, they seemed to produce as much brake dust as the good stock FiST pads we've been discussing.
Giving this another 5 seconds of thought, the pedal feel remained consistent, the car just didn't slow down very well, so maybe this points more to the pads than to the fluid?

kevinatfms

Call your dealership or go in and have them do your brakes, they wont have a choice of pads if you say OEM and your VIN will not reflect A/S tires or summer tires.
The dealership will enter your VIN number during service. Once the VIN is entered it will only show what type of pads were delivered with the vehicle within the parts system.

The as-built OASIS for the car is still readily available which will show which options the car received when it was built and includes all the parts breakdown needed. Call your dealer and have them print it out.

The Fiesta ST was available with two separate pads dependent on the tire type installed at the factory during build. If the car was optioned with the all season tire option it would receive the comfort pads. If the car was optioned with the summer tire option it would receive the sport pads.

*ex-Ford tech that used to see this all the time on the Police Package Explorers, Crown Vics and F150's that had different pads for different equipment groups. Worked for Ford from 2004 through 2011.

maybe i made a mistake with my post but @Ford ST is right, FoMoCo and Motorcraft are not the same. Motorcraft is the *aftermarket* OEM-style pad. if you go to your dealer and get replacement pads, you're not getting Motorcraft. You're getting a FoMoCo part number.

the talk around here is that the Motorcraft part # you and i linked to is the FoMoCo equivalent to the "summer pad". I read that they're the same part, just different distribution.
Consumable parts like brake pads would only get FoMoCo "brown" box parts is if the part fails before the first 12 months or 12,000 miles. After that period, 99% of the time you are getting the Motorcraft version of the part and the customer would be on the hook for the cost.

Only seen it one time where the Motorcraft version of a part was on backorder for months and the available "brown" box parts were discounted to the customer to get them back on the road.

If someone can show me two different pad part numbers from Ford I will beleive this. Being in the auto industry a majority of my professional career I will still disagree. 3 Focus ST, 2 with summers and one with a/s and they had the same pads.
These are not mustangs and you are ordering the track pack or something. It is summer tires against a/s performance tires.

kevinatfms

OE Ford Motor Company Listing:
AY1Z-2001-E - FRONT PADS - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "A/S TIRES"
AY1Z-2001-D - FRONT PADS - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "PERFORMANCE"
AE8Z-2001-C - FRONT PADS - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "W/ FRONT DISC/REAR DRUM"

CB1Z-2200-A - REAR PADS - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "PERFORMANCE"
CB1Z-2200-B - REAR PADS - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "COMFORT"
8V5Z-2200-A - REAR SHOES - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "W/ FRONT DISC/REAR DRUM"

Motorcraft:
BRF1508 - A/S TIRES FRONT PADS
BRF1507 - COMFORT REAR PADS
BRF1444 - PERFORMANCE REAR PADS
BRF1494 - PERFORMANCE FRONT PADS

Good?

*to clarify, i posted the front disc/rear drum part number to show the regular Fiesta has different part numbers than the ST model.

*also, dont know why but the Motorcraft listing likes to flip flop between being called "comfort" and "A/S tires" dependent on who is the vendor.

CSM

1000 Post Club
OE Ford Motor Company Listing:
AY1Z-2001-E - FRONT PADS - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "A/S TIRES"
AY1Z-2001-D - FRONT PADS - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "PERFORMANCE"
AE8Z-2001-C - FRONT PADS - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "W/ FRONT DISC/REAR DRUM"

CB1Z-2200-A - REAR PADS - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "PERFORMANCE"
CB1Z-2200-B - REAR PADS - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "COMFORT"
8V5Z-2200-A - REAR SHOES - MANUFACTURER CALL OUT "W/ FRONT DISC/REAR DRUM"

Motorcraft:
BRF1508 - A/S TIRES FRONT PADS
BRF1507 - COMFORT REAR PADS
BRF1444 - PERFORMANCE REAR PADS
BRF1494 - PERFORMANCE FRONT PADS

Good?

*to clarify, i posted the front disc/rear drum part number to show the regular Fiesta has different part numbers than the ST model.

*also, dont know why but the Motorcraft listing likes to flip flop between being called "comfort" and "A/S tires" dependent on who is the vendor.
Great post with the part numbers!

Ok. I am going to try and order these parts as I want to test the summer tire "performance" pads. Can you get caliper part numbers?

kevinatfms

Ok. I am going to try and order these parts as I want to test the summer tire "performance" pads. Can you get caliper part numbers?
Calipers were the same except some had the optioned "red" powdercoating applied to them. The "red" powdercoat was not specific to the tire nor the brake pads. It was a separate option.

kevinatfms

Also, another indication the differences between the pads using the numbers painted/stamped onto the backing plates:
H stamped on them in white equals the A/S or Comfort pads.
1686237286603.png
S stamped on them is the performance pad option.
1686237306890.png

Also, the coefficient of friction rating of the pads is within the friction code listed on each set of pads. The breakdown of the alphanumeric part number is PA = manufacturer, 4645-2 is the pad formulation code, GG is the coefficient of friction range the pad is formulated to in low temp friction performance and high temp friction performance(GG = .45 to .55 CoF) and A15 is the environmental compliance code A(does not contain cadmium, lead, asbestos, chromium or mercury) and the year of manufacture 2015.

1686237525522.png

H and S pads are made by different manufacturers, with different compound designations, use the same friction coefficient ranges(GG for both which equals high/low temp friction performance of at least .45mu up to .55mu) and with different environmental impacts. The H pads are more environmentally friendly than the S pads.