Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Preferred tool to check brake pads

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have found that an eyeball works the best.
If the pad is thinner then the back plate then it is good time to replace them.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The only thing those tools are good for is trying to sell someone brake pads. Your eyeballs are all you need.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
If you are looking for a way to check how much pad material is left - before they start squealing (which is a built in indicator) - one way, besides looking, is to mark the brake fluid level in the reservoir when the pads are new. As the pad wears out, the level will go down. Mark the low level when you replace the pads, and you’ll have yourself a quick proportional gauge.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you are looking for a way to check how much pad material is left - before they start squealing (which is a built in indicator) - one way, besides looking, is to mark the brake fluid level in the reservoir when the pads are new. As the pad wears out, the level will go down. Mark the low level when you replace the pads, and you’ll have yourself a quick proportional gauge.
The only thing bad about that is if you bring your car to a quick lube because you are lazy and one of the Lube meatballs will fill the brake fluid reservoir thinking its "LOW" when its actually NOT. I shudder thinking about those places.

Sam4

The Lubners once filled my wiper tank with antifreeze. My '80 fiesta - they have never seen me again.....(or the car, sadly).