Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Puma speed head vs Mountune head

Supposedly the mountune head flows even more air than the puma speed. The mountune head also has better valves, and seals.

I think with the V3 cams, Anembo intake and a tubular exhaust it should breathe significantly better and require less boost to match the the HP of the stock head.

What do you guys think?

I will say that I don't love mountune's description:

"INTAKE AIRFLOW IS IMPROVED BY 51% AND EXHAUST AIRFLOW IS IMPROVED BY 24% COMPARED TO AN OTHERWISE STOCK 1.6L ECOBOOST CYLINDER HEAD"

If they have the flow bench data, why don't they share it? At what valve lift are these values measured? If that improvement only occurs at 1" of valve lift or whatever, then it isnt a terribly useful data point. The description reads like a performance valvejob and valves from an unnamed supplier.
If I was needing to swap a head, I might be inclined to take a new Ford head to a good local machine shop with a Serdi or similar, and have them cut a performance valve job and blend.

OP
I
Thread Starter #3
I will say that I don't love mountune's description:

"INTAKE AIRFLOW IS IMPROVED BY 51% AND EXHAUST AIRFLOW IS IMPROVED BY 24% COMPARED TO AN OTHERWISE STOCK 1.6L ECOBOOST CYLINDER HEAD"

If they have the flow bench data, why don't they share it? At what valve lift are these values measured? If that improvement only occurs at 1" of valve lift or whatever, then it isnt a terribly useful data point. The description reads like a performance valvejob and valves from an unnamed supplier.
If I was needing to swap a head, I might be inclined to take a new Ford head to a good local machine shop with a Serdi or similar, and have them cut a performance valve job and blend.
Pretty interesting point, I'll contact mountune for their flow data along with Puma speed to see if they can provide proof.

I've contacted multiple, countless head shops and none of them port the 1.6 ecoboost.

OP
I
Thread Starter #5
UPDATE 2: Mountune comeback with the receipts!!!

Screenshot_20230719_185505_Gmail.jpg

Nice quick response from mountune with data to back it up, I'm sure the puma speed head is OK but without flow data...I can't back it.

Funny all we had to do was ask instead of speculate 😉

Last edited:
OP
I
Thread Starter #9
So what is the price Difference between the two?
If you are patient and send your head out...
Puma speed
$2700 including cams and valves springs and shipping

Mountune $4200, however believe it or not, the Mountune head even being on a smaller displacement engine outflows the larger displacement K20A2 (RSX type S) and F20C1 (S2000).

So this thing will definitely Rev to the moon! Peak power is prob 8.5k+ rpm, maybe we could see 9000rpm redline akin to the S2000. Exciting stuff but it would require syvecs. b16vsrsxvsf20c1.jpg

OP
I
Thread Starter #10
Right. Two folks being honest about their data or lack there of. I’m impressed.
I mean he's porting championship winning drag cars so I wouldn't call the head trash by any means. Definitely a good budget option.

I feel like even with a stock turbo this car could hit some pretty stupendous HP numbers, maybe 280-290whp on stock snail?