Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Question about tweaking tunes as mod list changes -

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #21
The stock ECU is pretty smart - it can compensate for an upgraded intake, exhaust, intercooler, and other basic bolt-ons, you just won't get any improvement in power until you tune it. If you're going to be soon adding a turbo, you could do a quick flash tune if you want the power right away until the turbo arrives but that flash tune becomes useless once you install the turbo, unless you eventually return it to stock turbo to sell or otherwise. A flash or stock tune absolutely will not cut it once you install an aftermarket turbo. The hybrid will flow considerably more air and without a tune to compensate for the additional airflow with additional fuel, it will run a high risk of leaning out and going BOOM! You can maybe get away with it for a little while as long as you stay out of boost, but I'd do so at your own risk.

With Stratified, for example, you'll need a "pro tune" and in their drop down you'll have to select if you're on stock or non-stock turbo. You'll want to get the tune before you install the turbo at which point you'll fill out a tuning form to tell them all of the modifications you've done to the car. They'll devise a "base map" that runs 0% WGDC (spring pressure of the wastegate) to confirm you've got the pre-load correctly set and check out the initial logs. Each map you'll take a few data logs (floor it in 3rd gear from 2500 to redline) for the tuner to adjust parameters. Expect 3-6 revisions to get it totally finished. I've used both Stratified and Dizzy - both been excellent.
Ty exactly what I was wondering. So I’ll have the hybrid tune on my AP before turbo install, and once they pull my car out of the shop, I load the tune and bamn, instant Vin Diesel.

FWIW today I did order a revision on my e30 tune but won’t run it till next Friday when my FMIC is installed.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Ty exactly what I was wondering. So I’ll have the hybrid tune on my AP before turbo install, and once they pull my car out of the shop, I load the tune and bamn, instant Vin Diesel.

FWIW today I did order a revision on my e30 tune but won’t run it till next Friday when my FMIC is installed.
Almost instant vin diesel lol. It’ll actually be slow as hell for the first revision or two. Like slower than stock because you’ll have super low boost. Then around revision 3 or 4 you’ll go “holy shitballs Batman!”

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #23
One last question if anybody knows. So i think it's time to hit the buy button on a turbo, leaning toward hybrid still but not set in stone till i hand over the cash. In a week i'll have my FMIC and radiator in, and i'll make sure i have my hybrid tune ready and waiting for when a turbo is delivered. But, im looking at Whoosh and a couple other vendors and they all list weeks to months for shipping. Is there some hidden vendor out there who doesn't have to mine the materials before hand?

If it's destined to take a couple months then so be it, but i wanted to ask here first before i tie up the cash. Im not seeing any listed on Amazon, any vendors you guys have in your back pocket that have turbos in stock somewhere?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
One last question if anybody knows. So i think it's time to hit the buy button on a turbo, leaning toward hybrid still but not set in stone till i hand over the cash. In a week i'll have my FMIC and radiator in, and i'll make sure i have my hybrid tune ready and waiting for when a turbo is delivered. But, im looking at Whoosh and a couple other vendors and they all list weeks to months for shipping. Is there some hidden vendor out there who doesn't have to mine the materials before hand?

If it's destined to take a couple months then so be it, but i wanted to ask here first before i tie up the cash. Im not seeing any listed on Amazon, any vendors you guys have in your back pocket that have turbos in stock somewhere?
It won’t be a whoosh hybrid, but ATP seems to have a pretty deep inventory most of the time. You’d be looking at a Garrett kit from them. More cumbersome to install than a hybrid and totally different powerband.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

There is a used s280 in parts forsale* could have it in a couple days. There is nothing wrong with buying used or BNB never used parts. Almost all my parts are slightly used or BNB never bought brand new for retail. Even my DHM Turbsky which has yet to go in was BNB for a fraction of its 5k price new from the defunct DHM

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #26
There is a used s280 in parts forsale* could have it in a couple days. There is nothing wrong with buying used or BNB never used parts. Almost all my parts are slightly used or BNB never bought brand new for retail. Even my DHM Turbsky which has yet to go in was BNB for a fraction of its 5k price new from the defunct DHM

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Appreciate the heads up. Last night i went ahead and grabbed one from Whoosh. I like the warranty they offer and ease of installation since it's pretty much identical to the stock unit so my local shop won't have any hiccups putting it in. I don't like the lead time they mention on the website but maybe it will get here faster. Anyway i'll be happy, within a couple months i'll be ready to swap the turbos and i'll go from there. Still debating on whether i should get a new downpipe. I have some time to research as i have gotten conflicting info on emissions laws here in Missouri.

Last edited: