Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Question about tweaking tunes as mod list changes -

Been a while since i posted here. For a refresh i have a 2015 FiST with lowering springs, RMM, K&N intake, Cobb AP + E30 tune from Dizzy, and some cosmetics. I have a MBRP 3" T409 catback in the mail that should be here by monday, then installed a couple days later. Tomorrow im putting on some Indy 500s for more grip. In the next week or so im going to order a turbo upgrade, likely the Whoosh hybrid and a FMIC (likely Whoosh too). These will likely take a bit to ship and i will have to give a couple weeks after that for a shop to get me in for an install. Also by spring i will be getting a larger radiator to prepare for the summer heat in the midwest but as of now in the cold i figure i was ok to wait on it.

My question is, will my current tune run into any issues with the catback on? obviously when i get the turbo in, a tune will follow but as we add bolt ons, do we have to tweak the tune each and every time or is that only with certain parts like a turbo? I appreciate any and all info guys!

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #3
Nope not with a Catback* Perfectly fine with current tune! An Upgraded Turbo needs a tune to compensate for the drastic change in performance over stock snail.
Ok very cool ty for the quick reply. I have a local ST shop a couple hours away called Panda Motorworks and made an appt two weeks out for an assessment of what's what. I may postpone my turbo purchase till i see them, although i hate adding time to the whole process as i won't schedule an install till the parts are in hand. Do you have any advice on supporting components for a hybrid upgrade? Will a stock downpipe suffice? Im not looking to break records, it's a daily driver for me and i figure if i can approach 300whp with an e30 hybrid that's good enough for me. Any weak points in the chain i need to address? Im pretty green in all this so im all ears man.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ok very cool ty for the quick reply. I have a local ST shop a couple hours away called Panda Motorworks and made an appt two weeks out for an assessment of what's what. I may postpone my turbo purchase till i see them, although i hate adding time to the whole process as i won't schedule an install till the parts are in hand. Do you have any advice on supporting components for a hybrid upgrade? Will a stock downpipe suffice? Im not looking to break records, it's a daily driver for me and i figure if i can approach 300whp with an e30 hybrid that's good enough for me. Any weak points in the chain i need to address? Im pretty green in all this so im all ears man.
Stock DP will eventually become a bottle neck. But if you're just doing a Whoosh Turbsky it will be fine* The IC is one of the biggest things I'd worry about as hybrids can generate some heat...so a Good aftermarket IC is a smart idea.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #5
Ok tyvm. I know how this often goes, once you get in you just want more but if i end up down that road i will no ignore the piping and such. Appreciate the info man!

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Been a while since i posted here. For a refresh i have a 2015 FiST with lowering springs, RMM, K&N intake, Cobb AP + E30 tune from Dizzy, and some cosmetics. I have a MBRP 3" T409 catback in the mail that should be here by monday, then installed a couple days later. Tomorrow im putting on some Indy 500s for more grip. In the next week or so im going to order a turbo upgrade, likely the Whoosh hybrid and a FMIC (likely Whoosh too). These will likely take a bit to ship and i will have to give a couple weeks after that for a shop to get me in for an install. Also by spring i will be getting a larger radiator to prepare for the summer heat in the midwest but as of now in the cold i figure i was ok to wait on it.

My question is, will my current tune run into any issues with the catback on? obviously when i get the turbo in, a tune will follow but as we add bolt ons, do we have to tweak the tune each and every time or is that only with certain parts like a turbo? I appreciate any and all info guys!
I like the whoosh V3 intercooler. Fitment wise its not bad at all a little tight. I have heard the mountune has best fitment but the whoosh is more volume. Add a short shift kit. They go in easy, give a noticeable improvement and are pretty low cost.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #8
I like the whoosh V3 intercooler. Fitment wise its not bad at all a little tight. I have heard the mountune has best fitment but the whoosh is more volume. Add a short shift kit. They go in easy, give a noticeable improvement and are pretty low cost.
Heya akira. TY i have heard many suggest the short shift kit, definitely on my list. Im big into photography and recently sold about $4k in gear i didn't use often, that is being used to pay for most of my FiST mods. When i decided to do this, i made a list of what i wanted. I had originally wanted to buy a used Focus RS but decided to mod my FiST and enjoy this car for some time before i go bigger.

Priority 1 was a turbo but changed to the catback as the stock exhaust had come lose when i scraped a bump on the ground and needed to be repaired, so the catback got moved to #1. #2 is power, so turbo and FMIC with E30 tune. Im guessing my cash will be gone at this point and i'll have to wait another couple months for coilovers and radiator (#3 and 4). After that im good for short shifter and some cosmetic stuff like headlights and new wheels as my Fifteen52s are pretty scratched up.

And correct me if im wrong with the cost stuff as this is my first run modding a car. Without extras like aftermarket downpipe and tubes, is 3.5 grand reasonable for a $1500 hybrid, $500 FMIC, plus labor? My MBRP catback was $650 so i figure under a grand after install, which leaves me about $3500 for my turbo setup and tune. I can't imagine install on a turbo and FMIC would be $1500 but i really have no idea.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Heya akira. TY i have heard many suggest the short shift kit, definitely on my list. Im big into photography and recently sold about $4k in gear i didn't use often, that is being used to pay for most of my FiST mods. When i decided to do this, i made a list of what i wanted. I had originally wanted to buy a used Focus RS but decided to mod my FiST and enjoy this car for some time before i go bigger.

Priority 1 was a turbo but changed to the catback as the stock exhaust had come lose when i scraped a bump on the ground and needed to be repaired, so the catback got moved to #1. #2 is power, so turbo and FMIC with E30 tune. Im guessing my cash will be gone at this point and i'll have to wait another couple months for coilovers and radiator (#3 and 4). After that im good for short shifter and some cosmetic stuff like headlights and new wheels as my Fifteen52s are pretty scratched up.

And correct me if im wrong with the cost stuff as this is my first run modding a car. Without extras like aftermarket downpipe and tubes, is 3.5 grand reasonable for a $1500 hybrid, $500 FMIC, plus labor? My MBRP catback was $650 so i figure under a grand after install, which leaves me about $3500 for my turbo setup and tune. I can't imagine install on a turbo and FMIC would be $1500 but i really have no idea.
Depends on the shop and how many hours they are going to charge to the job. I would think that would cover it though. In fact it shouldn't take a good installer more than a day so 8 hours labor at 150/hour would have you under target and that's a higher rate. If you know who you are using, find out their hourly rate. Can get a better idea of total cost estimating hours.

dhminer

2000 Post Club

Panda is experienced with our car - they can do it in way under 8 hours. I can have my turbo off and back on ~6 hours and I’m a noob. BTW the intercooler is super easy, I would do that yourself if you have a basic tool set.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Panda is experienced with our car - they can do it in way under 8 hours. I can have my turbo off and back on ~6 hours and I’m a noob. BTW the intercooler is super easy, I would do that yourself if you have a basic tool set.
Shops charge book time. Look up the book time for a turbocharger replacement. If a shop beats book time they don't usually charge you less.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #12
Stock DP will eventually become a bottle neck. But if you're just doing a Whoosh Turbsky it will be fine* The IC is one of the biggest things I'd worry about as hybrids can generate some heat...so a Good aftermarket IC is a smart idea.

Just circling back to this point here as i made some progress today. So i got my catback put on at a local shop. They did me solid as part of the piping between the catback and exhaust manifold was completely mangled and stretched about 6". They had a replacement in shop and welded it on with the catback, $275 total. OMG, it sounds SO much better especially when the revs get up past 4k. As luck would have it, they have another "shop" in the other half of the building where they do full engine work.

Quoted me $350 to install both my FMIC and radiator, which should be delivered within the week. I asked the guy who runs it and he said he can also install a turbo. Hallelujah, so much better than having to manage 4 hours round trip to St Louis for the specialty shop, and i should have enough left over in my budget to get the turbo now rather than wait a few months. Lastly i had asked him if my slightly sagging front end would pose a problem and he said no, but offered to replace the clips when reattaching the front end if that's the issue.

It's nice to have some good luck after so much has went wrong with other shops.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #13

Back to this advice again. Got the catback in as i mention, FMIC and radiator are scheduled for install in 8 days, next Friday. I should have enough left for a Turbo and install but i have two questions. First, for a hybrid turbo, when i look at Whoosh's site, they offer the non track spec hybrid for $1500 but offer wastegate and bypass valve addons. Are these mandatory or will the ones already on my car work?

My 2nd question is, is there much difference between the different hybrid models? Whoosh offers the cheaper one and the track spec version but i don't see any spec differences between them. And then there's others like from Pumaspeed. Are they all pretty much the same in performance? I appreciate any and all advice on this, getting excited for all this hardware going in!

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Back to this advice again. Got the catback in as i mention, FMIC and radiator are scheduled for install in 8 days, next Friday. I should have enough left for a Turbo and install but i have two questions. First, for a hybrid turbo, when i look at Whoosh's site, they offer the non track spec hybrid for $1500 but offer wastegate and bypass valve addons. Are these mandatory or will the ones already on my car work?

My 2nd question is, is there much difference between the different hybrid models? Whoosh offers the cheaper one and the track spec version but i don't see any spec differences between them. And then there's others like from Pumaspeed. Are they all pretty much the same in performance? I appreciate any and all advice on this, getting excited for all this hardware going in!
I went with the trac spec one. But I also am doing a ported manifold and downpipe. I had all these parts ceramic heat coated with the heat shield and figured I should have the turbo done as well. You are basically paying for a paint job but that paint job is not about looks rather, heat management in the engine bay (at least we hope so). I figure it will keep corrosion down as well. As far as bpv and wastegate, you can use the oem pieces however the oem diverter valve does not perform as well as a mechanical/vacuum bov like a turbo smart. I recommend doing both to get the most out of it.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #15
I went with the trac spec one. But I also am doing a ported manifold and downpipe. I had all these parts ceramic heat coated with the heat shield and figured I should have the turbo done as well. You are basically paying for a paint job but that paint job is not about looks rather, heat management in the engine bay (at least we hope so). I figure it will keep corrosion down as well. As far as bpv and wastegate, you can use the oem pieces however the oem diverter valve does not perform as well as a mechanical/vacuum bov like a turbo smart. I recommend doing both to get the most out of it.
Hmm ok i will have to bust out my calculator. I have about $2400 left in my budget for turbo, $600 install quote and a tune. I have the cash in the bank to go more but at the cost of my sanity (im married...). On a side note, do you happen to know what vendors have them on hand? I have been looking at Whoosh and everything is 4-8 weeks till it ships, absolute torture to wait that long. Amazon doesn't seem to carry any for a FiST.

dhminer

2000 Post Club

Hybrid performance will all be very similar as it’s confined to stock housing. Whoosh has the best warranty from what I’ve seen and tons of folks here run it with great success. I wouldn’t go trac spec if it’s just a street car.

You don’t HAVE to get an upgraded iwg or BPV but in my opinion it’s silly not to.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #17
Hybrid performance will all be very similar as it’s confined to stock housing. Whoosh has the best warranty from what I’ve seen and tons of folks here run it with great success. I wouldn’t go trac spec if it’s just a street car.

You don’t HAVE to get an upgraded iwg or BPV but in my opinion it’s silly not to.
Ok it sounds like i'll just have to do extra dishes to make up for those two accessories added in. Looks like a turbo install is no closer than 2mo out as nobody ships them faster than about 6 weeks. Patience is not one of my virtues :confused:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Ok it sounds like i'll just have to do extra dishes to make up for those two accessories added in. Looks like a turbo install is no closer than 2mo out as nobody ships them faster than about 6 weeks. Patience is not one of my virtues :confused:
Can absolutely relate! On both fronts. It’ll be worth the wait

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #19
Can absolutely relate! On both fronts. It’ll be worth the wait
Lol i got some Indy 500s just dying to be disintegrated. I was curious if anybody can explain, when it comes to the tunes im unsure of the timing and the terminology. So if we get a turbo upgrade, a standard flash tune won't cut it, we have to get a "custom" tune? I think on Stratified's website they call it a pro tune. And lets say my turbo is installed today, it will run fine while i wait a few days for an e30 hybrid turbo tune or no? Im assuming a custom tune where they ask for data logs means you HAVE to have the turbo first but is this the only way it's done?

Is there a generic flash tune that can be ordered while waiting on my turbo, or do they always have to adjust based on data logs?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Lol i got some Indy 500s just dying to be disintegrated. I was curious if anybody can explain, when it comes to the tunes im unsure of the timing and the terminology. So if we get a turbo upgrade, a standard flash tune won't cut it, we have to get a "custom" tune? I think on Stratified's website they call it a pro tune. And lets say my turbo is installed today, it will run fine while i wait a few days for an e30 hybrid turbo tune or no? Im assuming a custom tune where they ask for data logs means you HAVE to have the turbo first but is this the only way it's done?

Is there a generic flash tune that can be ordered while waiting on my turbo, or do they always have to adjust based on data logs?
The stock ECU is pretty smart - it can compensate for an upgraded intake, exhaust, intercooler, and other basic bolt-ons, you just won't get any improvement in power until you tune it. If you're going to be soon adding a turbo, you could do a quick flash tune if you want the power right away until the turbo arrives but that flash tune becomes useless once you install the turbo, unless you eventually return it to stock turbo to sell or otherwise. A flash or stock tune absolutely will not cut it once you install an aftermarket turbo. The hybrid will flow considerably more air and without a tune to compensate for the additional airflow with additional fuel, it will run a high risk of leaning out and going BOOM! You can maybe get away with it for a little while as long as you stay out of boost, but I'd do so at your own risk.

With Stratified, for example, you'll need a "pro tune" and in their drop down you'll have to select if you're on stock or non-stock turbo. You'll want to get the tune before you install the turbo at which point you'll fill out a tuning form to tell them all of the modifications you've done to the car. They'll devise a "base map" that runs 0% WGDC (spring pressure of the wastegate) to confirm you've got the pre-load correctly set and check out the initial logs. Each map you'll take a few data logs (floor it in 3rd gear from 2500 to redline) for the tuner to adjust parameters. Expect 3-6 revisions to get it totally finished. I've used both Stratified and Dizzy - both been excellent.