Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Question: What 200TW Track Day Tire Should I get for a 17 inch Wheel?

OP
E
Thread Starter #41
Aright, I made a decision about the tires...I'm going with the RT615K+.

I checked a couple shops for some other options besides what Discount Tire has. They couldn't really give an estimate of when anything would arrive and out-the-door prices were pretty ridiculous so there wasn't much to consider there. It really ended up being between the 660 and the 615K+. The 660 sounds great but with it being such a new tire I couldn't find many real world reviews. Lot's good first impressions said about the tire but I didn't find much about longer term use in different conditions. From what you guys said about the 615K+ I think it'll tick all the boxes for me.

I'll follow up after I get some track time with the tires. It'll probably be the second week of June but I'm getting the tires next week just in case I end up tracking the FiST on May 31st.

Thanks again for all the input!

OP
E
Thread Starter #42
Thank you for the experienced insights. Really helpful. I expected to have to replace rotors every track season. To read you got 10 track days out of the rotors before they cracked is about on par with what I expected.
Be sure to rebuild the calipers on a regular schedule. I did mine over the winter and was suprised how much pitting there was on the pistons considering my car almost never saw rainy days. Seals were in surprising good condition for the amount of track time though.

@Lays You gotta take the plunge and participate in a track day. Your set-up would be great out there and would surprise a lot of people. Just don't go on the same day I do - You car would make mine look real slow :) Kidding - I recommend trying out the BMW Club HPDE. It's pretty chill and they have a lot of great cars that show up.
I completely agree about doing HPDE through BMW CCA. Check out the Puget Sound chapter. They do require you to do a car control clinic and it's a really great experience with good instructors. When you graduate to HPDE it's $300, even if you require an instructor for the full day. That's a lot cheaper than Hooked on Driving and a lot of other organizers. Of course the catch is you have to join BMW CCA but that also means you get a $500 rebate when you buy a new BMW :)

OP
E
Thread Starter #43
Aright, I made a decision about the tires...I'm going with the RT615K+.
I posted too soon. I just got a call back saying RT615K+ is out of stock and on backorder from Falken for 90+ days. Same thing for the RT660. Lame ass Covid supply chain issues... :mad:

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I posted too soon. I just got a call back saying RT615K+ is out of stock and on backorder from Falken for 90+ days. Same thing for the RT660. Lame ass Covid supply chain issues... :mad:
Yeah I had about a month delay when ordering Dunlop Direzza back in April.

OP
E
Thread Starter #45
Success!

Well...sort of. I did some more calling around to figure out availability of getting the tires. I didn't like the responses or in some cases the lack of effort to even look into it, so I decided to order through TireRack (6 were in stock) and get price gouged on the installation. I guess it's worth it since I didn't want to spend any more time researching this and possibly waiting indefinitely for something to be in stock.

@Woods247 and @ronmcdon, can you guys suggest a starting point for tire pressures on these at the track?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Success!

Well...sort of. I did some more calling around to figure out availability of getting the tires. I didn't like the responses or in some cases the lack of effort to even look into it, so I decided to order through TireRack (6 were in stock) and get price gouged on the installation. I guess it's worth it since I didn't want to spend any more time researching this and possibly waiting indefinitely for something to be in stock.

@Woods247 and @ronmcdon, can you guys suggest a starting point for tire pressures on these at the track?
I start at 26psi cold on all 4 and it usually runs around 34 hot. I find that to be ideal for the RT615K+ for my driving style. Check the tread wear arrows after each session, see where it’s at then adjust accordingly.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Go with the 660's if it's not too late
Why? He wants longer life and the ability to drive to/from the track. I burn 660s in two weekends and they don’t make it more that 5 laps without needing to be cooled off. They’re a hot lap tire not a fun endurance trackday tire. I love them but for this purpose the RT615K+ is better suited. For what it’s worth, I take a set of each to the track but only use the 660 when I’m pushing myself. I use the RT615K+ when I want more seat time or for practicing corners, which is most of the time. They’re cheaper, last longer and stay consistent for an entire session/weekend. The 660 is faster on the track and the wallet lol. Of course this is just my opinion but I have a ton of time on both of these tires so figured I’d reply.

TemecFist

Why? He wants longer life and the ability to drive to/from the track. I burn 660s in two weekends and they don’t make it more that 5 laps without needing to be cooled off. They’re a hot lap tire not a fun endurance trackday tire. I love them but for this purpose the RT615K+ is better suited. For what it’s worth, I take a set of each to the track but only use the 660 when I’m pushing myself. I use the RT615K+ when I want more seat time or for practicing corners, which is most of the time. They’re cheaper, last longer and stay consistent for an entire session/weekend. The 660 is faster on the track and the wallet lol. Of course this is just my opinion but I have a ton of time on both of these tires so figured I’d reply.
Well then in that case, I would have to say he made the right choice. I STILL havent been able to take the 660's onto the track, so I'm not sure how they will last, but, for the street... they are fantastic!!!

Woods247

2000 Post Club
The 595RSR gives comparable street grip to the 660 with more longevity. It absolutely blows on track though. When you get the 660 on track you’ll see what I mean. It comes up to temp after about 2.5 minutes then it’s game on for about the next 5min. I had to cool down after that. It has ridiculous grip early on. I’m almost at the wear bar and it feels the same too which is nice.

ronmcdon

Not sure Im qualified to offer decent feedback. I'm around 33 hot with 205/50/16 Dunlop Z3's which seems best for grip for me. But I haven't figured it out yet. Grip is pretty good, but terribly uneven tire wear. I am getting a lot of tire wear and sidewall rollover on driver's side f&r (most tracks I go to run CW). Also unsurprisingly much more wear on outside of tire overall, with camber being -2 front & -0.7ish rear. That's fine for street use but likely unacceptable for track use.

Last week switched to 225/45/16 Z3's (no rub at all so far) and hoping for better wear, although I suspect -3 front, -2 rear camber would be more adequate.

The Z3's really are fantastic for track use if your goal is just wanting to drive and practice as much as possible, rather than get fastest times. Maybe Im not driving my car hard enough, but Z3's have not failed me in 90 f weather. They arent over-heating, running either 20 or 25 min sessions back to back . They wear great. Despite me getting terribly uneven tire wear have gotten a good 5 track days out of them. Would maybe last 7-8 days I suspect if my tire wear was more sorted out.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Not sure Im qualified to offer decent feedback. I'm around 33 hot with 205/50/16 Dunlop Z3's which seems best for grip for me. But I haven't figured it out yet. Grip is pretty good, but terribly uneven tire wear. I am getting a lot of tire wear and sidewall rollover on driver's side f&r (most tracks I go to run CW). Also unsurprisingly much more wear on outside of tire overall, with camber being -2 front & -0.7ish rear. That's fine for street use but likely unacceptable for track use.

Last week switched to 225/45/16 Z3's (no rub at all so far) and hoping for better wear, although I suspect -3 front, -2 rear camber would be more adequate.

The Z3's really are fantastic for track use if your goal is just wanting to drive and practice as much as possible, rather than get fastest times. Maybe I'm not driving my car hard enough, but Z3's have not failed me in 90 f weather. They aren't over-heating, running either 20 or 25 min sessions back to back . They wear great. Despite me getting terribly uneven tire wear have gotten a good 5 track days out of them. Would maybe last 7-8 days I suspect if my tire wear was more sorted out.

I keep forgetting what suspension you are on and if/how much you are lowered to not be rubbing on 225/45-16s??
(They are slightly narrower in tread width, and slightly shorter in overall diameter than the 225/45-16 A052s I would be using, but close enough. [wink])

ronmcdon

im on meister gt1 w taller 200mm swift springs, 8/6k my ride height is close to stock, I estimate maybe 1/4 in drop and no more than 1/2 in at most. valving approx half stiff on street.

the 205/50/16 z3 I ran prior were taller at approx 24.2in diameter. my 225/45/16 is around 23.9in diameter as per tire rack.

to be safe got fenders rolled out around inch and half, but lots of clearance to outside fenders and top of wheel well. however plenty of room with outside fender clearance

My guess is if ppl are rubbing maybe they’re dropped a bit lower. lots of lowering springs or oem maybe too soft when suspension compresses, idk.

Not sure why people are bad mouthing the RT660s, I have almost 45 minutes of run on a pair (front only), and they still could go another 3-5 minutes! *lol*

Autocross, not track days...

The Endurance racers love the R-S4, good grip and great tire life. Sizing maybe tough though.
Hankook Ventus R-S4 | 205/45ZR16 (tirerack.com)

I used to run RS-3s on my old Acura I loved them. They survived like 30 laps at willow springs and 2 days of autocross and I was still driving em on the street for a bit after that haha

OP
E
Thread Starter #59
I start at 26psi cold on all 4 and it usually runs around 34 hot. I find that to be ideal for the RT615K+ for my driving style. Check the tread wear arrows after each session, see where it’s at then adjust accordingly.

The Z3's really are fantastic for track use if your goal is just wanting to drive and practice as much as possible, rather than get fastest times. Maybe Im not driving my car hard enough, but Z3's have not failed me in 90 f weather. They arent over-heating, running either 20 or 25 min sessions back to back . They wear great. Despite me getting terribly uneven tire wear have gotten a good 5 track days out of them. Would maybe last 7-8 days I suspect if my tire wear was more sorted out.
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I needed. I just wanted to hear what some of the track rats around here have found what works for them.

Go with the 660's if it's not too late
Considering the tires are paid for and mounted I think it's too late! :LOL: Actually the RT660's ended up not being an option because I couldn't get a firm ETA for when they would be in stock from any retailer I contacted.

ronmcdon

I think some people are not aware not all 200tw tires the same.
my understanding is 660s, re71's and a052 (for super rich people only) fall into the class of sticky when cold but get greasy fast. good for autoX and in the case of 660s, fantastic daily driver as long you don't mind replacing tires more often.
z3, rs4 and 615+ more of a road race tire that doesn't get greasy and lasts longer. In some ways calling them both 200tw is confusing. falken is awesome as they make both types of tires.

there is no good or bad tyres, what suits your needs best, like if you own a $20 million mansion the A052s are for you.