Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quick engine swap question

So, I currently own a 2014 Base model fiesta, although I've owned an ST in the past.. my question is, would I be able to find a wrecked ST somewhere, and swap the engine and transmission over, or would it just save me money to just trade in my base model for an ST? And if I DID find a wrecked one somewhere, would the engine and trans even swap over? I really like the idea of having a fiesta sedan that can get down and jiggy with it.

Your title is an oxymoron. Engine swaps are never quick! Lol. The Fiesta ST not only has a different engine but different brakes, suspension, transmission, ect. Not to mention the corresponding items like exhaust, intercooler, RICAROS. The body is different as well. Bumpers, "sport wing", grille. I would imagine you will have better luck buying a used FiST spend your time on mods, they are getting cheap. But what do I know...

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Your title is an oxymoron. Engine swaps are never quick! Lol. The Fiesta ST not only has a different engine but different brakes, suspension, transmission, ect. Not to mention the corresponding items like exhaust, intercooler, RICAROS. The body is different as well. Bumpers, "sport wing", grille. I would imagine you will have better luck buying a used FiST spend your time on mods, they are getting cheap. But what do I know...
He wants to swap engine and trans, not make a clone.

OP you would be better off saving some cash and buying a used base model ST. Not worth the headache to swap, even though a ST sedan might be cool

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If my highly modded ST ever needs a new shell I will buy a 5 door Mazda 2 and swap to it which likely includes all the wiring harnesses, etc...a very serious amount of work to say the least.

In your situation if you can afford a lot of down time and a lot of hours it might pay off but most likely best to just trade it in but if you do just do not let them screw you over.

They are the pros and \stack the deck in their favor and only have their best interests at heart so buyer by ware;)

dyn085

2000 Post Club
He wants to swap engine and trans, not make a clone.

OP you would be better off saving some cash and buying a used base model ST. Not worth the headache to swap, even though a ST sedan might be cool
I usually agree with this mentality but ever since the Mk3 Focus owners started pillaging all of the wrecked FoST's it seems like they're getting ahead of the curve financially. There's already been probably half a dozen or more that bought the wrecked platform, raped the engine, drivetrain, and control modules, then parted out the rest of the car and nearly made their money back or more. All they are really out is the labor and any tools they bought/rented.

It's doable and if someone started with something ridiculously cheap like a base-model Fiesta then they could probably come out ahead by nearly $5k and have a unique platform...

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I usually agree with this mentality but ever since the Mk3 Focus owners started pillaging all of the wrecked FoST's it seems like they're getting ahead of the curve financially. There's already been probably half a dozen or more that bought the wrecked platform, raped the engine, drivetrain, and control modules, then parted out the rest of the car and nearly made their money back or more. All they are really out is the labor and any tools they bought/rented.

It's doable and if someone started with something ridiculously cheap like a base-model Fiesta then they could probably come out ahead by nearly $5k and have a unique platform...
I also agree.. Also just a quick search on eBay will show 1.6 ecoboost engines and manual trans each selling for less than 1,000$

Compare this to the old Honda engine swap days where a K series engine could go for 2000-5000$ depending on what car it came out of.

The parts for this car are generally cheap, which is a great thing

If there was an easy way to swap the 1.6t + manual transmission in like you can do with crate engines, I'd be up for dropping one in my 67 Mustang...

Not to be sac religious but since getting my FiST I have consistently dreamed of a Miata/FRS swap with our turbo motor. As my name suggests, our car is definitely wrong wheel drive. That being said [lovest] and it will be a long time before I attempt a swap.

OP
U
Thread Starter #13
Okay, another question... more towards someone who has done this before. What all would I need for the swap? Obviously the 6 spd tranny, ecoboost engine and turbo, but more as in axles and whatnot. What all would I need to buy to make this happen ?

Okay, another question... more towards someone who has done this before. What all would I need for the swap? Obviously the 6 spd tranny, ecoboost engine and turbo, but more as in axles and whatnot. What all would I need to buy to make this happen ?
You'll need the BCM/ECU and the instrument cluster that goes with it

You'll need the BCM/ECU and the instrument cluster that goes with it