Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RAAMaudio ST, street, track, dog hauler, grocery getter, ultra low weight audio.....

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Roll cage is a pain on the street, even one built with maximum entry ease and not safe even with the very best dual density padding unless wearing a helmet, been there, done that.....Roll bar is still a great safely item and I am considering it, I have the tubing and bender, etc.....but I have not decided on the final configuration of the rear of the car, it has to fit an Akita and an Irish Wolfhound, comfortably and safely as this is our site seeing, grocery getter while traveling all over NA, track use is just one aspect of the build.

Modern car structures are far more protective as long as you do not land on top of something really hard but a cage might not protect you if it penetrates the roof...if you get T-boned on the top, etc.....it would help.....T-boned on the side.....depends on how hard and if your neck is not broken....this car is getting fast enough I am wishing I had not sold my R3(best device made and $$$) I wanted to get a lower cost, simpler setup....

I might do a roll bar, might have to be quick disconnect design, and not simply bolted to the sheet metal floor like most bolt in bars are, pretty useless for a hard hit, if I have a roll bar it will be a real one. I sold my very very sorted and fast Vette convertible because there was no simple solution to make it safe on track.

I will look at it a bit today again, been focused on the power and handling mostly for some time now.

Rick

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
2Jr coilovers arrived:)
2) PPI 88R processors arrived, one for the ST, one for the Duramax dually....(I have an Audison Bit 10 as well but just going to list it for sale)

Ordering turbo shortly, manifold is coming out that will bolt right to it, all suspension is off and stock bushings pressed out, waiting for the Powerflex race bushings to arrive.

Roll cage is a pain on the street, even one built with maximum entry ease and not safe even with the very best dual density padding unless wearing a helmet, been there, done that.....Roll bar is still a great safely item and I am considering it, I have the tubing and bender, etc.....but I have not decided on the final configuration of the rear of the car, it has to fit an Akita and an Irish Wolfhound, comfortably and safely as this is our site seeing, grocery getter while traveling all over NA, track use is just one aspect of the build.

Modern car structures are far more protective as long as you do not land on top of something really hard but a cage might not protect you if it penetrates the roof...if you get T-boned on the top, etc.....it would help.....T-boned on the side.....depends on how hard and if your neck is not broken....this car is getting fast enough I am wishing I had not sold my R3(best device made and $$$) I wanted to get a lower cost, simpler setup....

I might do a roll bar, might have to be quick disconnect design, and not simply bolted to the sheet metal floor like most bolt in bars are, pretty useless for a hard hit, if I have a roll bar it will be a real one. I sold my very very sorted and fast Vette convertible because there was no simple solution to make it safe on track.

I will look at it a bit today again, been focused on the power and handling mostly for some time now.

Rick
yeah cages are very dangerous on the street. if you are looking to build your own roll bar id look at RREs fiat roll bar. looks like a great roll bar and the design is simple. if i can borrow a tube bender ill probably build my own and make a thread. just going to wait until this vegas heat goes away. if auto power comes out with one ill just buy one from them.

how far are you from st. George? i am thinking of taking my ST to an autoX event in st. George next week.
build looks like its coming along!

john

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
I am many hours from St George and to busy to go but am really looking forward to an event or two before I hit MMP for some hot lapping:)

I strongly advise against an AP roll bar. I made arrangements to have a car taken in and one designed for the Scion tC then the first production unit sent to me. Placed it in the car, looked at what it was mounting to, took it out and sold it to a show car guy....A roll bar is just dead weight that might hurt you when bolted only to sheet metal.

If you use one at least properly gusset it and realize it is going to be quite a bit heavier than a custom made one.

Are you experienced in this sort of fabrication?

Let me know as I have an idea.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
2j-r/Wilwood front custom BBK for 15 race wheels arrived, GT rotors, SS lines, track pads....
Fastbrakes/RAAMaudio/Wilwood rear BBK GT 11" GT vented rotors.

2j-r race prepped coilovers arrived.

Powerflex corrected rear bushing shims just arrived from the UK so I can finish the suspension install.

Diff is out, waiting on a seal and new ring gear stretch bolts to finish LSD install.

DIY short shifter done at the trans, will test when LSD install is finished, shorter than the MT as going to a taller knob

DIY raising the shifter mount in the console underway, nearly done.

Looking into tall shift knob.

Ordering EFR turbo as soon as I sell a few more parts:)

2 spare race tires arrived, will order two more race wheels soon.

Montana license plates arrived, installed.

Arc Audio 4x150 and 1x500 watt amp arrived.

PPI DSP arrived.

I will finally get to drive the car, soon, 4 months and still just 293 miles on it!

Have a great day:)
Rick

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
It is the input the one facing the bell housing, it might of been OK but it was cheap and ordering bolts anyway so why take a chance on having to pull the transaxle again...

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Update, first post has the complete list of mods and status of each.

Modified stock turbo with big compressor wheel, porting, etc arrived yesterday, install will be in a couple of days if not sooner.

Front BBK here, waiting for caliper mounts

Rear BBK is here, designing the mounts today

Rear axle modified to have -1.5 camber and 1/16th toe in

LSD installed

Short shifter and raised shift lever completed.

Power Flex bushings installed.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
First post updated with current and mods I am considering, parts on the way.......

I will have it on the road tomorrow and then start the real CAI I have designed and will port the WG and turbine outlet as not done yet.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
Tons of work done lately, first time on the ground a few days ago up and down our street to settle the chassis, put 40 miles on today, should be ready for at least 200 tomorrow, got to break it in and get it tuned!

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33

Triple R splitter is on the way now.

------------------

Just got back, 200 plus miles through the back woods mountain roads checking out the fall colors, perfect way to get more breaking in miles and increible views. Around 45 miles was on the freeway, average speed was just 35MPH so you know the roads were narrow and twisty and quite a bit of traffic but I was just chiiling and enjoying the time.

The car is so perfect for that, tons of room, comfy, easy to drive, easy to see out of, we love it!

I goosed it here and there and with just the MT tune it is very peppy in the mountains.

32.2 MPG average for the trip, cannot complain about that when up and down three mountain passes, lots of second gear and some third and a few 1st gear corners.

Only a few times did I have to down shift for more power and it was only out of very slow corners where any car would have to downshift.

The modded stock turbo has a hugely better power band than a totally stock one, power nearly anywhere in the rev range:)

Triple R splitter is on the way now.

------------------

Just got back, 200 plus miles through the back woods mountain roads checking out the fall colors, perfect way to get more breaking in miles and increible views. Around 45 miles was on the freeway, average speed was just 35MPH so you know the roads were narrow and twisty and quite a bit of traffic but I was just chiiling and enjoying the time.

The car is so perfect for that, tons of room, comfy, easy to drive, easy to see out of, we love it!

I goosed it here and there and with just the MT tune it is very peppy in the mountains.

32.2 MPG average for the trip, cannot complain about that when up and down three mountain passes, lots of second gear and some third and a few 1st gear corners.

Only a few times did I have to down shift for more power and it was only out of very slow corners where any car would have to downshift.

The modded stock turbo has a hugely better power band than a totally stock one, power nearly anywhere in the rev range:)
I just pulled the trigger on that splitter. And how are you getting such a good mpg!? I am on an e30 tune so I know my mpg would be a little worse than stock but I can't get my mpg over 25.

Didnt see anything about a tow hook. I just fabbed a front one. It's simple and I went with fords racing mustang weld on tow hook and just cut into the grill a little, if you haven't thought of anything I can make a quick build thread.

John

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
Thanks, please do post a how to, etc, I might not need it but others sure can use it:)

I was looking into going through the grill but using a belt instead of a hook so I could slide it in and have just a tab sticking out.

I have jacked my knee up on a solid hook before and even on a folding one once, ouch!

I want front and rear, looks like I can go through the rear fake grill, that would be nice.

-----------------

MPG was probably the result of the turbo mods, much needed manifold porting, big exhaust, intake, all designed to flow the cleanest possible and making it more efficient, at least I hope so, but mostly from the slow speeds and staying out of boost most of the time, still breaking in the engine.

I generally drive pretty mellow on the street and my wife gets car sick easily, big doggies in the back, I cruise most of the time now, save the fun stuff for the track where I generally am on the edge most of the time:)

Hahaha yeah I've done th same about three times now and hate solid hooks. I used a old 14" tow strap from I/o ports for fitment because the mustang one has yet to arrive. Here's a picture so for an idea. I prefer a tow strap to be honest.

That's exactly where I'm going to put the rear tow point as well. Small rectangular cut that wont be noticed. After I made the cuts in the front grill I had a better idea that would only involve an inch circle to drill. But o well I'm happy with it.

My mpgs probably are bad becuase I drive my car like I stole it haha

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
Thanks for the pics:)

I have a notched bumper beam and was thinking of using the side near the driver but I can use the other side just as well which moves more weight over there....

I have to decide on which straps to use and how to rig up a retractor, like a good bungee or something.

--------------------

Splitter, I had to get on a waiting list, they just got some after a long wait, not sure if they have any left.

http://http://www.fswerks.com/collections/ford-fiesta-st-ecoboost-16l-2014/products/triple-r-composites-front-splitter-ford-fiesta-st-2014

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
I had sent a couple dozen messages today, answered emails and this list of mods on the car.

1) installed Scroth 4 point DOT harnesses
2) installed Triple R splitter
3) installed wheel liners
4) installed headlights
5) rolled and pulled passenger side fenders
6) removed and had front caliper mounts machined to clear the rotors better and reistalled
7) built and installed rear battery mount and battery
8) swapped brake fluid
9) installed race wheels and tires
10) still working on it......

---------------

Tomorrow I hope it stops raining like it is supposed to as I need to drive it around and check all the clearances for the race wheels, very very tight fit. The put on the street wheels and tires and get more miles on the car, log it, make sure the tune is OK......

Build and install an undertray, have to mod the splitter but not really that big a job

Build a fire ext mount and install it, Halatron, good stuff.

Sort and stow all the tools I need for the trip to MMP.

Clean the car inside and out, it is pretty trashed!

Prep to load on the trailer in the dark in the AM or load and leave on the trailer outside all night, not keen on that.

I could drive it out and get more miles on it but if anything goes wrong it is 75 miles from here and my wife would have to drive the dually and trailer out so I may as well just haul it.

Am I having fun, oh yeah:)

razorlab

1000 Post Club
You need to take more photos. ;)

I was thinking of getting the Triple R splitter but I don't want it to rip off at track speeds.