Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ravenol MTF-2 vs ?

Tend to view forum recommendations with a bit of skepticism, most people seem to try one thing, are happy with it, then go on the forum and sing its praises. Don't want to be that guy yet here I am, in my defense if you count factory fill, I have tried 3 things. IMO the Ravenol is good, really good, change the nature of the car good. The 2 others I have tried in addition to factory fill are Redline MT-LV and MTL, no contest, Ravenol hands down. The reason for the "vs" in the thread title is has anyone found anything better? Anyone tried the MTF-2 and gone on to something better or back to something else?

BG Syncro Shift II from Whoosh works really well. I'm currently running Ravenol MTF-2. Once Ravenol MTF-2 warms up it feels light BG Syncro Shift II. I'm switching back to BG Syncro Shift II on my nest service. The Ravenol

OP
G
Thread Starter #3
Agree, the MTF-2 could be described as very slightly notchy when cold, noticable mostly with the 1-2 shift, smoothes out within a few miles. The BG was one of the ones I was hoping to get some feedback on because you know Ron has probably tried it all.

Business6

i just switched from BG Syncro to Ravenoil mtf2 an hour ago. had 5 track days, 1 auto X and 2k miles, maybe 3-4 months between the change.

ravenoil feels maybe a tad lighter body and slightly tart aftertaste but dont notice huge difference otherwise
The tannins and subtle hints of dinosaur really come through with the long finish.

ronmcdon

yes pairs nicely with fattier red meats like lamb and duck.

but seriously don't notice a lot of difference between the 2 oils, Ravenol & BG.

Might prefer BG slightly as the oil feels a bit heavier, not sure if that makes sense. When the BG oil was drained there not a lot of particles stuck to magnetic drain plug. I did the transmission oil change earlier just to be safe. I was worried transmission might have been damaged with the few embarrassing money shifts on the track. Not a great feeling trying to shift to 4th only to hit 2nd when someone is giving you the point by to pass.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I also like to change this out more often than most on here, (or than is considered 'necessary'), since I cringe the few times I do not push the clutch in far enough and grind a bit, even though this is usually during low(er) rev scenarios.

I feel like I am getting whatever blocker ring/synchro material which resulted from those slight grinds OUT OF the mix by changing early/('too') often. [wink]

OP
G
Thread Starter #11
Been in the trans for several weeks now. Although fine cold, definitely seems to smooth out with a bit of heat (i.e. thinner.) Begs the question, might the 75W MTF-3 be the better fluid? Anyone try both?

I have changed fluid twice. 1st time was probably around 40k. Used Motul Multi ATF. INCREDIBLE difference. But 30k later, felt worn. Replaced with Ravenol MTF-2. No change in feel! (drained Motul fluid looked brand new!)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I used Motul Gear 300 in my last ST, about to do a fluid change in my current car as well. Any reason not to? Not sure why people don't use that fluid more often.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^If this one is purely a summer only open track car you should be OK.

But given your frozen Granite State locale, if you plan on driving it at all on the streets in the winter, that stuff is a bit too thick to circulate freely in the gearbox.