Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ready to leave SoCal. Where in Texas?

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I've always thought about it. But after recent life changes I'm thinking now is the time, start over.

Reasons why
It feels like we can't live a decent life out here. I'm 27 now with a four year old and girlfriend soon to be fiance. We both work way too damn much to be broke constantly and not even get to do anything fun or enjoy life

I'm 27 and been working since 17, never missed a day of work nor called off. I'm a hustler and a dman hard worker. No matter how much money a bring in I'm always broke. Life is way too expensive out here. A decent place is easily 1500 plus utilities and a nice area is 2k plus. I've never taken a vacation and don't have a savings account. Living out here is like we are fighting just to stay afloat. life is constantly about money and not enjoying life.

I have family that have made the move and love it. My cousin my age came from here in the same boat. Always broke and living off pennies. Four years later she saves, spoils here daughter and takes multiple vacations a year.

I recently lost my job for some BS and I think this is finally time to start over and fresh in a land that still has a dream possible. Are our thoughts of life in Texas made up? Or are you guys really as happy as you all seem out there? I'm open to all honest comments and feedback. Thank you

I need more information to give you an honest response :). Specifically, your expectations, line of work, and political leanings (yes this matters).

Just for reference I was born and raised in Houston, went to College in Austin, and was stationed in San Antonio for three years. My wife was born and raised in the DFW area as well. By that I mean I literally have extensive experience with 4 of the 5 major metro areas in Texas (no El Paso experience).

Assuming you have career/trade skills that will translate to a job down there, I'd say you're making a good decision. SoCal blows my mind with how expensive it is (have some family there), especially when I'm used to KS cost of living lol. Good luck to ya, whatever you can do to improve your situation should be done!

Also all Texans I've encountered drive like 90 mph everywhere, so you can push the Fist a little better I imagine.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Come move to North Carolina the triad is a great region. It's a very diverse area your political beliefs, and religious beliefs will have no impact on your life.
Based on the cost of living if you can make it in California you will have no problems in the southeast.
My wife and I have a decent household income no kids, but we're definitely not taking multiple vacations a year too focused on saving for retirement.

We both have associate's degrees I don't use mine.
I have a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house, two car garage, an acre of land in a very nice country area. My mortgage, property tax and homeowners insurance equals $987.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spork1569

I've had similar thoughts of moving to a different state as well due to the cost, working full time for a local city and it seems like the money is never enough.

If I ever do take the plunge I'd probably go somewhere cold though, not a big fan of the heat.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
If you work in the tech industry, Austin, TX is going to be your best bet.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I've always thought about it. But after recent life changes I'm thinking now is the time, start over.

Reasons why
It feels like we can't live a decent life out here. I'm 27 now with a four year old and girlfriend soon to be fiance. We both work way too damn much to be broke constantly and not even get to do anything fun or enjoy life

I'm 27 and been working since 17, never missed a day of work nor called off. I'm a hustler and a dman hard worker. No matter how much money a bring in I'm always broke. Life is way too expensive out here. A decent place is easily 1500 plus utilities and a nice area is 2k plus. I've never taken a vacation and don't have a savings account. Living out here is like we are fighting just to stay afloat. life is constantly about money and not enjoying life.

I have family that have made the move and love it. My cousin my age came from here in the same boat. Always broke and living off pennies. Four years later she saves, spoils here daughter and takes multiple vacations a year.

I recently lost my job for some BS and I think this is finally time to start over and fresh in a land that still has a dream possible. Are our thoughts of life in Texas made up? Or are you guys really as happy as you all seem out there? I'm open to all honest comments and feedback. Thank you
I have friends and family in austin and they've been complaining that the cost of living is creeping up - not first hand information, but a lot of people are bailing on cali and heading to Texas. When people were bailing on california and heading to oregon it caused the cost of living to go up as well.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have friends and family in austin and they've been complaining that the cost of living is creeping up - not first hand information, but a lot of people are bailing on cali and heading to Texas. When people were bailing on california and heading to oregon it caused the cost of living to go up as well.
Yeah I can't imagine Austin Texas being a cheap city. Tech industry equals expensive.

Well I guess I'll just give some insights/impressions on the 4 major metro areas I am familiar with. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

First off, order in which I would live;
1. Austin
2. San Antonio
3. Houston
4. Dallas
9687. Ft. Worth (yes it is that bad and yes, it is very different than Dallas)

Austin - It's a great city; probably the greatest college town in the Country. It is very liberal and it used to be fairly affordable. It's not anymore; period. Unless you are in the tech industry you won't be able to afford the city proper. You'll have to live in one of the surrounding suburbs. If you want to live in a good school district you are going to pay about 300k for a 2500 sf home. Yes that is cheaper than Cali but, you will make less (especially if you aren't in the tech industry). Also, Austin has terrible traffic. I'm sure you'll dismiss this being from SoCal but don't. The city was not designed for the massive increase in population which occurred. Seriously, look at it on a map; there are no loops, just 2 parallel freeways which everyone has to navigate.

San Antonio - San Antonio is actually a really cool place; really underrated. It is liberal but in a different way. You can really feel the historic Hispanic influence. The food is amazing (Texas food is better than Calis in general). You can get a nice,new (ish) 1800 sf home in a good school district for roughly 200k. It is closer to the "real" hill country than Austin and that area of Texas is AWESOME. Really, REALLY great drives for a car that handles well! Unlike Austin there are areas to avoid though. Even the "bad" parts of Austin aren't that bad (eastside).

Houston - I lived here until I was 21. It is a big city (4th largest in the US) and it is sprawling. It is reasonably liberal but still probably considered moderate by Cali standards. I can tell you about the North Side and central Houston but not the other areas. It is reasonably affordable; close to San Antonio in home prices unless you want to live in an exclusive area. Houston is also a very segregated city (not an insult, just a fact). There are white parts of town, black parts of town and Hispanic parts of town. It is what it is. It has lots of long flat roads and a huge car scene. I will add this, even if you don't believe in climate change Houston floods and will continue to flood. Too many years of far right rule meant that there were ZERO zoning restrictions. Water literal has no where to go when it rains.

Not gonna mention DFW unless you want; I wouldn't live there but if you have questions I'll answer them.

EDIT: I will mention the heat; it does get HOT AS FUCK in Texas AND it's humid. If it's 90 in houston you'll start sweating and get sticky just because of the humidity. Houston is the worst but the other cities also get pretty muggy (not El Paso).

Just FYI, we live in NorCal now but moving to Ohio in December. I love NorCal and we'll miss it. Having said that we aren't going to retire in Texas or Cali; probably Oregon or Washington.

Last edited:
There’s lot of money working in plants here just outside of Houston (but still in the metropolitan area). If you have trouble getting a job at first, you can register your FiST with Lyft and make some money while you settle in. You can also get a CDL and work as a truck driver since there’s lots of trucking around here. And if you’re any good at math or anything academic, I can get you a job as a tutor. I would argue Houston’s your best bet in terms of job opportunities with all our industries, but I don’t have experience with other cities around here.

I pay $595 for rent (water included), bills don’t exceed $200 typically, and Shell V-Power floats right around $3/gallon (give your FiST the best). Just so you have a reference.
Are you talking about the Pasadena /Ship Channel area? I used to make runs to the Goodyear plant when I was working for them right out of high school. I'll be honest man, you can make some money in the factories but I wouldn't raise a kid in that area (no judgement if you do). I think I would commute far if I worked out there.

EDIT: Kinda close to Baytown though if you like to drag :p Also, your right about Houstons Diversity. There is probably almost every industry in or around Houston. It has two really good colleges, some tech, lots of oil, high end service industries, transportation hubs, HUGE airport, farming on the outskirts (sugar mostly),and more.

EDIT 2: It's the Golden Era of Astros baseball!!!

Last edited:
OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
This forum seems to have the most traffic in my threads. Thank you!

So in every forum politics are brought up. Not something I'm really into. Might be cause all we focus on is money here and getting by so we don't have time. I will say I don't usually agree with the BS Cali passes. But me and our family are Christian and attend church almost every sunday. Take it how you want. Give me more info

I don't want to reply to everyone individually right now so I'll have one post

My line of work is Automotive. I don't have a degree but have a diploma. More recently in life I've went from the hands on to more of the selling. Last job was a service writer for a Ford dealership (with bad management) and ideally I'd love to stick in that field because it's what I know, it's what I've done. And lastly I know in Cali at a decent dealer you can raise a family on that single income so I wonder if that's the same in Texas? Based off Google maps there are Ford dealers EVERYWHERE! It's insane lol

I'm not in the tech industry and probably wouldn't last out there, I hate hipsters and can't stand their beliefs, like I said I'm not political but I think these hipsters are typically the backbone of the California politics and ideas no? What I mean is the typical California politics you talk about.......this is them in a nutshell lol. Kinda like out here the Gentrified areas.....not my type of people. I'm an old school guy lost in a 27 year old body.

Oh and my Girlfriend has schooling for makeup but that field didn't work out. She works office/cashier at a dealer (actually where we meet) so she would be looking for work as a receptionist or something along these lines. But in a dream world I'd like to make enough to not rely on her income.

I'll leave this for now and next reply will be more geared to each if your responses. Thanks so much so far

Lastly. I've been trying to get into LAPD since I was 20 to follow the feet of my father and always get declined for the stupidest shit while all these idiot's get right in and I'm starting to believe God is telling me that's not the field he wants me in out here. And I'm getting this weird push to leave Cali

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I cannot blame blame you though having come from the bay area I still feel there is affordable housing here in Los Angeles and I do like it here. Do I like California taxes no. Do I like a lot of the BS Sacremento does? No but I have a ton of friends here and I would be starting all over again if I moved.
If I had a girl it might be easier. Of course that changed and I have not found a new one yet.
I did think about Texas primarily Austin, It’s probably the only place it Texas I would even think about living. Though Humidity kills as I hate it.
I have friends that have moved to Texas so I say if you really want to go for it be prepared for the weather described above though.

I actually enjoyed Utah when I was there for Octane Academy . I would have to live in Salt Lake though as I am a city person. Rural would drive me nuts. I have to have things culturally to do.

This forum seems to have the most traffic in my threads. Thank you!

So in every forum politics are brought up. Not something I'm really into. Might be cause all we focus on is money here and getting by so we don't have time. I will say I don't usually agree with the BS Cali passes. But me and our family are Christian and attend church almost every sunday. Take it how you want. Give me more info

I don't want to reply to everyone individually right now so I'll have one post

My line of work is Automotive. I don't have a degree but have a diploma. More recently in life I've went from the hands on to more of the selling. Last job was a service writer for a Ford dealership (with bad management) and ideally I'd love to stick in that field because it's what I know, it's what I've done. And lastly I know in Cali at a decent dealer you can raise a family on that single income so I wonder if that's the same in Texas? Based off Google maps there are Ford dealers EVERYWHERE! It's insane lol

I'm not in the tech industry and probably wouldn't last out there, I hate hipsters and can't stand their beliefs, like I said I'm not political but I think these hipsters are typically the backbone of the California politics and ideas no? What I mean is the typical California politics you talk about.......this is them in a nutshell lol. Kinda like out here the Gentrified areas.....not my type of people. I'm an old school guy lost in a 27 year old body.

Oh and my Girlfriend has schooling for makeup but that field didn't work out. She works office/cashier at a dealer (actually where we meet) so she would be looking for work as a receptionist or something along these lines. But in a dream world I'd like to make enough to not rely on her income.

I'll leave this for now and next reply will be more geared to each if your responses. Thanks so much so far

Lastly. I've been trying to get into LAPD since I was 20 to follow the feet of my father and always get declined for the stupidest shit while all these idiot's get right in and I'm starting to believe God is telling me that's not the field he wants me in out here. And I'm getting this weird push to leave Cali
Honest opinion, assuming you have a reasonably clear record, join the Air Force. Enlisting at 27 in the Air Force isn't that big a deal. Also much easier to get a technical/mechanical job. I was 23 when I enlisted and my brother-in-law finally wised up and took my advice and joined a few years ago at 34 (right before cut off).

Nothing against the other branches but the quality of life is much better in the AF and deployments are fewer and farther between. It's not the easiest life out there but it's pretty good for a family. Job security, free healthcare, retirement benefits, housing, decent schools, pro-rated daycare (based on your rank) etc, etc.

Just something to think about.

If you want to try Texas I would say Houston or San Antonio. Shouldn't be hard at all getting in at a Ford dealer although you might have to start at the bottom.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I cannot blame blame you though having come from the bay area I still feel there is affordable housing here in Los Angeles and I do like it here. Do I like California taxes no. Do I like a lot of the BS Sacremento does? No but I have a ton of friends here and I would be starting all over again if I moved.
If I had a girl it might be easier. Of course that changed and I have not found a new one yet.
I did think about Texas primarily Austin, It’s probably the only place it Texas I would even think about living. Though Humidity kills as I hate it.
I have friends that have moved to Texas so I say if you really want to go for it be prepared for the weather described above though.

I actually enjoyed Utah when I was there for Octane Academy . I would have to live in Salt Lake though as I am a city person. Rural would drive me nuts. I have to have things culturally to do.
I am the exact opposite not a city person prefer the country. Work, home and gym. I like having my own space. That's the thing though we are all different.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Honest opinion, assuming you have a reasonably clear record, join the Air Force. Enlisting at 27 in the Air Force isn't that big a deal. Also much easier to get a technical/mechanical job. I was 23 when I enlisted and my brother-in-law finally wised up and took my advice and joined a few years ago at 34 (right before cut off).

Nothing against the other branches but the quality of life is much better in the AF and deployments are fewer and farther between. It's not the easiest life out there but it's pretty good for a family. Job security, free healthcare, retirement benefits, housing, decent schools, pro-rated daycare (based on your rank) etc, etc.

Just something to think about.

If you want to try Texas I would say Houston or San Antonio. Shouldn't be hard at all getting in at a Ford dealer although you might have to start at the bottom.
I loved the Army and unfortunately I got injured but I wouldn't recommend it personally if you're in a relationship that you care about. It's not fair to the other person unless they're fully down with it. I also don't think it's fair if you already have kids.
My wife means the absolute world to me I wouldn't leave her for a second for any job.
Being next to the people you care about is the most important thing in life. The military is something you should do when you are absolutely single and build a life from that point on. I joined the day I turned 18. The pay is not that great sure you have good benefits, but you can't really own a home if you're moving around all the time.

Last edited:
I loved the Army and unfortunately I got injured but I wouldn't recommend it personally if you're in a relationship that you care about. It's not fair to the other person unless they're fully down with it. I also don't think it's fair if you already have kids.
My wife means the absolute world to me I wouldn't leave her for a second for any job.
Being next to the people you care about is the most important thing in life. The military is something you should do when you are absolutely single and build a life from that point on. I joined the day I turned 18. The pay is not that great sure you have good benefits, but you can't really own a home if you're moving around all the time.

I'm not knocking the Army at all but my older brother was in the Army and I took his advice to join the AF. You really can't compare the two. Air Force deployments are 4-6 months MAX and the rotations are much further apart. AF personnel deploy with "their" aircraft and the DoD doesn't keep planes in the AOR for more than 6 months because it literally tears them up.

And you're wrong about the pay. When you factor in BaH, BaS and free health care it's actually pretty high. In fact, some "think tanks" are worried that it is out pacing comparable civilian pay. Truth is most AF jobs are roughly 45 hours a week with set schedules. There is a reason the Army calls us the "Chair Force." And I have NO problem with that lol. Our bases are like miniature towns with all the amenities. I literally don't lock my doors at night (bad habit I need to break tbh).

If he is willing to move to Texas then I would say look into the AF.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm not knocking the Army at all but my older brother was in the Army and I took his advice to join the AF. You really can't compare the two. Air Force deployments are 4-6 months MAX and the rotations are much further apart. AF personnel deploy with "their" aircraft and the DoD doesn't keep planes in the AOR for more than 6 months because it literally tears them up.

And you're wrong about the pay. When you factor in BaH, BaS and free health care it's actually pretty high. In fact, some "think tanks" are worried that it is out pacing comparable civilian pay. Truth is most AF jobs are roughly 45 hours a week with set schedules. There is a reason the Army calls us the "Chair Force." And I have NO problem with that lol. Our bases are like miniature towns with all the amenities. I literally don't lock my doors at night (bad habit I need to break tbh).

If he is willing to move to Texas then I would say look into the AF.
Just going to basic training is too long to leave a spouse you really care about too many things can happen you wouldn't be there for.I have tooken my wife to the hospital twice due to kidney stones she had to have surgery for I would hate not to be there for that. I'm very aware of the pay structure. My wife and I have great health insurance through our employers that doesn't cost us a lot. I have a pension where I work plus a Roth401K. My wife has a 6% match Roth401k all these things exist outside of the military. Basic housing allowance gives you a free house to live in if you live on base. If you live off base depending on your area it can rent you a mediocre property. My wife was a travel nurse when I met her she also got this.
I was in the signal corps signal support systems specialist.
I'm very pro military but I think it's something you do as a single person, you don't bring a spouse into it until you've already been in the life.
If your spouse is also in the military than this whole pay thing is a completely different story, but as a single-income household a lot of people in the military struggle financially.

Just to be clear I would recommend almost any 18 year old to join the military. Single no kids and build from that point.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t live in Texas. I’m in and out and all around that state and I can’t wait to get out every time. The border lands are no go. The oil fields stink. When it’s not hot, dry and dusty the weather is nuts. Storms like you wouldn’t believe: wind, hail, tornadoes and flooding. The hill country is nicer but there is no appeal for me. There are better places to live imo

I’m in Dallas - I think with all of this, you have to figure out if you like the city and if it fits for you and your family. Some people love Dallas, some hate it.

One thing I will add, is do some serious research on cost of living. I’m sure it is cheaper than SoCal, but home prices and rent are going up in all our major cities, and will likely continue to do so for the immediate future. Average rent for a one bedroom in Dallas is nearly $1000 now, and our average home values have doubled in a lot of areas.

There are nice homes in the suburbs that are still affordable, but factor in commute time. It is easy to end up with an hour commute with our sprawl, and that is all time away from your wife and kid. Not trying to dissuade you - I love Texas - but be sure you know what you are getting in to. I know plenty of folks who came here for “good jobs and cheap houses” and wound up disappointed.