Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear brake grinding noise

To stir this up with a random question, for those who have changed brake pads, do the rear pads on the 14's have the ears on the sides of the pads? or the spring clip instead?

Certain types of brake pads make noise, it is what it is. Mine is a 2016 model w/ ~200 miles on it and has done it since the first test drive. They grab hard and I get no sense of drag, and it's also only noticeable at low speed with light pressure, so I pretty much ignore it and I'm not even going to ask them to look at it.

Thanks for bumping this post. I came on here tonight specifically to look for this issue. I've had some slight grinding before but it was really noticeable in the rears today. Based on the other comments, I'll just attribute it to the snow and rain.

Certain types of brake pads make noise, it is what it is. Mine is a 2016 model w/ ~200 miles on it and has done it since the first test drive. They grab hard and I get no sense of drag, and it's also only noticeable at low speed with light pressure, so I pretty much ignore it and I'm not even going to ask them to look at it.
Same here. Slight noise, but as you said, only at low speeds. A little annoying, but not going to address it to the dealer. Maybe if it gets worse. Mine is also a low milage 2016.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I also have the grinding noise at low speed/light pressure. Sometimes the parking brake drags a bit after release and the grinding does sound worse after the car has sat overnight. Ford Service says everything is A-OK.

GAbOS

These are some of the most performance based pads you are going to find in an OE car from the factory. This noise is normal at low speeds and light application of the brakes. The only thing wrong is that most people are not used to the noise. If the noise really bothers you, sell your barely used pads here and get a set of the new 2016 "all weather" package pads. They are more for daily driving and shouldn't make nearly as much noise. 2016's have a new package available that offers all weather tires and less track oriented pads.

JasonHaven

Glad I saw this thread, I thought I was all used up on brakes already, which wouldn't make sense at my driving style and mileage. Definitely worse after rain/snow/salt, better when its dry and I've used the brakes a bit.

I got my FiST used at around 22k miles, had it for about 14 months now, put about 22k more miles on it and it's made the faint grinding noise since the beginning. Have had the wheels off and changed the brakes 3-4 times and everything is in good shape. Nothing stuck, no signs of excessive heat/wear.

Oh man I love this forum! I first noticed this on my FiST which has all of 200 miles on it today while in stop and go headed downhill towards a freeway ramp. I was just thinking I'd check in here tonight and voila - a whole thread of fellow owners with the same experience. Makes me all warm and fuzzy feeling, at least as much as I can feel good about my rear brakes making a bit of a grinding noise at low speeds.