Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear brake uneven disc wear

Afternoon all, I recently picked up a 2013 ST. Whilst cleaning I noticed the wear on the rear discs isn't even across its full face. The outer inch of each disc doesn't appear to make any contact with the pads. I didn't really look at this when buying, had the garage run through full vehicle check and it wasn't flagged under the issues (picked up the nearly damaged coils so they did a somewhat decent check).
I just wanted to know if this is normal or potential causes? Could it be a simple case of poorly fitted pads or do the pads on the ST fit a certain way around so could potentially have put both pads on the rear discs on the wrong side of each disc?

Car has under 30k on the clock at the moment.
20210918_103319.jpg 20210918_103333.jpg

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
The rear calipers are known to seize. Go for a drive and hammer the brakes, see if it looks any different after.

OP
B
Thread Starter #5
The rear calipers are known to seize. Go for a drive and hammer the brakes, see if it looks any different after.
Yea did a few hours out and didn't notice anything off with the drive or change in wear although I did have the dog so likely was light on brakes. I'll give it a shot later see if it does anything.

OP
B
Thread Starter #6
I would check the slide pins on the rear calipers and make sure they are lubed properly with silicon grease. I would actually probably get new ones and the rubber covers. Cheap insurance.
Cheers, been a while since I had a car to play with (London, had no need) so the missus had me sell off most of my maintenance crap, no jack, stands etc so it might be a buy new parts and take to a garage to sort. Last bit of work I did was replacing discs, pads and pistons on my mx5 so I'm not adverse to work but by the time I buy all the kit again might be quicker and cheaper to have a garage do it.

OP
B
Thread Starter #8
The rear pads have a metal pin that must sit in a recess in the X of the caliper piston. It it isn’t you get wear just as you show in your pictures.
Thanks maybe I'll ignore my previous post and go buy the kit to get the car up and dismantle and put back together correctly. Or see if my warranty from the garage can get it sorted.
Out of interest assuming most of the braking is still handled up front so not totally unsafe to drive?

OP
B
Thread Starter #10
Totally safe to drive. If you do it yourself, both rear pistons rotate clockwise.
Thanks, think I'll just grab a new jack and rewind tool and out a weekend aside to do some fuckery. Found a few guides on the forums, doesn't look too bad to replace pads.

OP
B
Thread Starter #11
figured i'd drop a reply just in case anyone stumbles over the issue and wants answers.

So the rear slider/guide pins were 100% seized, and i mean it took so serious soaking and brute force to remove them. A lot of the rear bolts around the rear brake assembly were pretty much seized in place and to add insult to the lot, the pads despite having plenty of wear on them are completely shagged, the rear plates on them disintegrated when i removed them and the rust has eating a good chunk of it.

Rather than attempting all 4 i cleaned the one i had out as i was losing daylight, put the new pins in place and assembled it back together and will pop an order in for some new pads and i think probably the rotors too as I'm not sure its worth trying to clean up the current ones. Once that and some new bolts for the calliper carrier's or the whole assembly actually arrive ill sort them all out and see how its working after! Thankfully no real driving to do.

Anyways - cheers for the diagnosis, hopefully the rest is a painless job.

And finally - what muppet designed 2 material lug nuts! Absolutely shite, one looks to have been slighty rounded by the previous owner i had to do some filing and hammering to make the lug usable!

OP
B
Thread Starter #13
Highly recommend new lugs before the OEM ones get so round you can no longer take them off.
Oh 100%, is there anything better than the 2 piece Ford lugs? I'm not overly fussed if they don't match the rims if they're going to take being removed more than once. Or is it just a case of holding spares just in case?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Oh 100%, is there anything better than the 2 piece Ford lugs? I'm not overly fussed if they don't match the rims if they're going to take being removed more than once. Or is it just a case of holding spares just in case?
This is what I recently purchased no problems so far. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WW2M1X...abc_QB2H2A03ABE91MP5Z1EF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Ford lug nuts are garbage.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
B
Thread Starter #15
This is what I recently purchased no problems so far. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WW2M1X...abc_QB2H2A03ABE91MP5Z1EF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Ford lug nuts are garbage.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Thanks pal, least I know what to target I'll grab the equivalent from a UK vendor (or amazon!).

Last question for now, does anyone know what the part number or equivalent size is for the caliper carrier bolts? And are they the same size front and back?