Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear shock absorber replacement recommendations?

I've collected a decent amount of info looking around the forum but figured I would pester everyone once more. I am going to replace my rear shocks only and keep my stock springs. I am stuck between Bilstein B6, Bilstein B4, Koni STR.T, or maybe something else? I want performance over comfort.
I would absolutely get the B6s but I really don't want the back of my car to sit any higher and I've heard they tend to do that? Especially because my current shocks are blown.
What are the thoughts on the B4s vs. Koni STR.T? Which do you think will improve performance/handling more?
This is just a fun daily driver car, no racing or anything special.
Any recommendations around this is appreciated!

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
If you are keeping stock springs I'd see if you can find a pair of stock rear struts for cheap/free on Facebook. I had a set but gave them away.

I replaced with B4s and was disappointed. Since they are OEM, what you get is a replacement that will basically ride like stock.

Konis oranges will soften it a bit, improving ride but blunting turn in.

I have a set of stock dampers that are in good shape that I’ve been meaning to post on the forum - if you’re interested send a DM. Otherwise B6s might be the way to go.

OP
L-man
Thread Starter #4
I replaced with B4s and was disappointed. Since they are OEM, what you get is a replacement that will basically ride like stock.

Konis oranges will soften it a bit, improving ride but blunting turn in.

I have a set of stock dampers that are in good shape that I’ve been meaning to post on the forum - if you’re interested send a DM. Otherwise B6s might be the way to go.
I think I'm going to purchase new, but thanks for the offer!
Do you think I will notice a big difference in how the car feels after replacing just the rear?

I think I'm going to purchase new, but thanks for the offer!
Do you think I will notice a big difference in how the car feels after replacing just the rear?
No worries. For your question, depends on what you are replacing with. If you are going with the OEM replacements like the b4s or new Ford ones, it all depends on how bad your dampeners were in the first place. To be honest though, I doubt they are blown that badly. With the Koni oranges or B6s I think you will notice a difference, it just depends on what you were going for in terms of performance or comfort. And as many people have said on here, apparently the biggest change you can make for comfort and handling is to go to 16 inch or 15 inch wheels. Good luck!

OP
L-man
Thread Starter #8
I don't think it's been mentioned but definitely pickup a pair of rear spring pads and swap them while you are in there. Cheap insurance against a part that will quickly fail if it hasn't already.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...powerflex-fiesta-st-rear-coil-spring-pads-set
Yup! Thanks for looking out. I have those in my cart right now. Mine are squeaking pretty bad, only goes away for a few days after I hit it with some silicone spray.

OP
L-man
Thread Starter #10
And depending on what dampeners you get, make sure to use the stock nut on the upper mount. The nuts that come with other shocks have too big of a diameter and will squeak like crazy against the upper shock mount
I saw that in the forum, thanks! I totally would have used the new nut.

OP
L-man
Thread Starter #12
Finally got some rear shocks! I ended up deciding to just save money and ordered Bilstein B4s. After Months of backorder I canceled the B4S and went completely wild card. I got KYB "Gas-A -Justs" they are supposed to fit a Mazda 2, LOL. For $50 each they are a high pressure monotube shock that fits. From what I can tell it rides smoother and the rear end feels tighter on corners. Down fall is that the rear wheel gap is larger, probably only because the old ones wouldn't even return when compressed.
Not 100% sure I would recommend these but I liked trying something new.
Thanks for all the recommendations

Attachments

Finally got some rear shocks! I ended up deciding to just save money and ordered Bilstein B4s. After Months of backorder I canceled the B4S and went completely wild card. I got KYB "Gas-A -Justs" they are supposed to fit a Mazda 2, LOL. For $50 each they are a high pressure monotube shock that fits. From what I can tell it rides smoother and the rear end feels tighter on corners. Down fall is that the rear wheel gap is larger, probably only because the old ones wouldn't even return when compressed.
Not 100% sure I would recommend these but I liked trying something new.
Thanks for all the recommendations
Glad you're noticing a difference. Curious what you'll think after a while and when temperatures dip. Hope they work well.