Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Recommendation for Making my FiST Stage III

Well we all know the stock isn't fine, but there are a bunch of people running all different kinds of aftermarket intercoolers and downpipes and they're doing just fine on stage 3. You don't even need the intake or exhaust for stage 3.

As far as having a custom tune, there is a benefit for doing that, even if you are running all Cobb parts. It is after all just a can tune that has to run good in multiple environments...it has to be somewhat conservative where the custom "pro-tune" can be more aggressive for your specific car. That's a given.

I also see threads about people going back to stock because they throw a grab bag at their car and then don't want to deal with the hardware incompatibility or get a good pro tune to fix how it runs.

You can try to save money but you wind up with a lot less customer service and a lot more uncertainty.

I haven't seen many of those, not saying they don't exist. What I am saying is the Mishimoto J-line and Depo Racing catted DP work just fine with the Cobb Stage 3 tune, I personally can vouch for that. The added bonus is the J-Line is the cheapest IC if you are willing to do the work to make it fit and the Depo Racing DP is the cheapest available DP.

I will be going pro tune in the future, not because my car doesn't run right with the Cobb tune, but because its the next step for more power w/o having to go big turbo.

What to intercooler is sated for and what it can actually handle are 2 different things. I personally have a BT and a J-line and the j-line cannot handle the heat my turbo puts out. I have seen up to 30° temp increases on 3-4 pulls. It's a great cheap ic for the stock turbo but once you start trying to make it flow. The j-line shows why it is so cheap. I'm not knocking the j-line in any way. Just stating my personal experience.
Good info to know, I have my eye on the ATP GT2860RS kit but that won't be any time soon. Are you planning on upgrading to the DHM Intercooler and crash bar?

OP
K
Thread Starter #26
Thanks guys for the info. Just to clear a few things up I do not plan to go BT. Also, I'm not asking for the cheapest route. I asked if I can save a few bucks by piecing together a Stage III kit that's comparable to the Cobb Stage III kit. I want to get all of the power I can out of my car without having to go BT. Thanks!

OP
K
Thread Starter #27
Whats wrong going BT with a J-Line? It's a pretty big core and they rate it up to 500hp I believe. Most BT people are running between 300-400hp. If you plan on going all out by all means get the Deadhook intercooler, but I don't see why the J-Line couldn't handle a BT set up.

Besides this thread is asking about the cheapest way to stage 3. Cobb recommends a high flow downpipe for stage 3. I'm currently running the set up I recommended, except I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust, and I have no issues what so ever. I did the research and at the time the J-Line with the bracket kit and the depo racing DP were the cheapest options. For the price neither can be beat. The J-Line is bigger than most of the stock fit intercooler and cheaper, the depo racing DP is just as good as any other DP. The only thing about fitting the J-Line is you'll have to do some cutting to the back of the bumper cover so it can fit. If that is an issue, then the Deadhook stock fit intercooler is probably the next cheapest option.
Is your DP catted or catless? Are there any inspection issues with going catless? We have emissions inspections in my state.

OP
K
Thread Starter #28
What does everyone recommend for an intake? Recommendations for an exhaust? I know it's unnecessary but I'm curious.

Pick what you like knowing that its only going to change the sound and some "cold air" intakes are worse than stock.

If you want performance and quality, get the best FMIC you can afford, a hot side charge pipe, possibly a Tune+ wastegate actuator and a Pro tune. If that isn't enough, buy a downpipe and re-tune.

Instead of spending money on parts that don't do much, get an oil catch can (I like Damond), take a look at motor mounts (I broke one), oil cooler and radiator. Those will help make sure that you can push it hard for a long time and avoid some unnecessary wear.

Is your DP catted or catless? Are there any inspection issues with going catless? We have emissions inspections in my state.
Catted, we have OBD2 inspections here and they can look closer and see if you have a cat. I'm not a big fan of the obnoxious smell of the catless either.
If you are super worried about running an aftermarket downpipe you can keep the stock one, do the intercooler and get a custom tune.

Depends on what you want as far as the intake and exhaust...do you want the sound or are you more worried about performance? The injen intake is loud, but it sucks in hot air and heat soaks pretty bad. MBRP exhaust is fair priced and loud but drones pretty bad (especially with a aftermarket DP)

You can always go for stage 3 and then go pro tune later if you decide it isn't enough. My plan is to eventually get the lifetime tune from Tune+, you pay once and can get a re-tune every time you upgrade something, even if you go BT later.

As far as the hard pipe for the hot side. I have one, but I can't tell any difference in performance or sound (maybe I can't hear it over my droning ass exhaust). I've read that the stock pipe flows good enough for BT. But as cheap as the MBRP hot side pipe is, you might as well get it.

My advice to you, do the research and find out what will work for you. We can argue back and forth on here and get no where, hear say is just that. Like I said the J-Line and depo racing DP work for stage 3 on my car. Yours may be different. Good luck with whatever you do.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Dead Hook Motorsports "Quick Spool" GT290r Turbo Kit
- Wastegate: External Open Dump
- Downpipe: Catless Downpipe
- Exhaust Option: No Thanks
- BOV Option: Turbosmart BOV (incl..
- Powdercoating Option: No Thanks/Natural Fi..
- Intercooler Option: ADD DHM Stock Replac..
- Aux Fuel Option: No Thanks

Total = $4100

Includes the following:

Garrett GT2560r Turbo
Garrett cast iron Vband .64ar exhaust housing
Tial MV-S 38mm water cooled wastegate
TurboSmart Vee Port BOV
DHM 304 stainless steel sch10 exhaust manifold
Lower hot side intercooler pipe and coupler
DHM 3” 304 Stainless steel downpipe
Oil lines and coolant line
DHM 304 Stainless Steel Wastegate Dump
ProTune for 93 octane included (Additional charges will apply for extra fuels)
Unmatched customer service and support!

If you're going that far, the race intercooler makes sense to me, that is how I ordered.

masonsturbos

I'm in stage 3 for 1500, that's including a ton of visual mods as well. About 1100 for stage 3
Injen intake- 125 used
J line IC- 165+65 for couplers/custom mount
2j catless dp- got a deal... Too good to tell;)
Cobb rmm- another deal from a buddy moving on to boomba
Resonator delete- 40 bucks.
Ap3- 475
I suggest a catch can- made my own for 85 converting a D1 to a baffled can.
1100 which I'm extremely lucky- 1400 is fair if you do some deal searching and get some good deals on the forum.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere on this forum that you could drop in a panel filter along with installing DHM's big race intercooler and you could go right to running stage III maps. Was this incorrect? It's my first turbo car, so please cut a girl some slack. I'm more used to dealing with nitrous-fed fox bodies.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere on this forum that you could drop in a panel filter along with installing DHM's big race intercooler and you could go right to running stage III maps. Was this incorrect? It's my first turbo car, so please cut a girl some slack. I'm more used to dealing with nitrous-fed fox bodies.
Pretty much. I would suggest the panel filter, DHM intercooler, and a tune from [MENTION=3805]Tune+[/MENTION]

A $200 downpipe wouldn't hurt either, but is debated on whether it's needed or not
Best bang for the buck, if I would've done it all over again I would've went this route.

twolf

Dead Hook Motorsports "Quick Spool" GT290r Turbo Kit
- Wastegate: External Open Dump
- Downpipe: Catless Downpipe
- Exhaust Option: No Thanks
- BOV Option: Turbosmart BOV (incl..
- Powdercoating Option: No Thanks/Natural Fi..
- Intercooler Option: ADD DHM Stock Replac..
- Aux Fuel Option: No Thanks

Total = $4100

Includes the following:

Garrett GT2560r Turbo
Garrett cast iron Vband .64ar exhaust housing
Tial MV-S 38mm water cooled wastegate
TurboSmart Vee Port BOV
DHM 304 stainless steel sch10 exhaust manifold
Lower hot side intercooler pipe and coupler
DHM 3” 304 Stainless steel downpipe
Oil lines and coolant line
DHM 304 Stainless Steel Wastegate Dump
ProTune for 93 octane included (Additional charges will apply for extra fuels)
Unmatched customer service and support!
Do you know why it's called a GT290r kit if it uses a 2560?

I'm pretty sure cobb stage 3 includes the downpipe. The big dhm race intercooler is probably overkill for stage 3 but if you plan on BT in the future it would be a good choice.