Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Remove RMM before taking to dealer?

I have a Mountune RMM that I thought was having problems but the shop that installed it said there's nothing wrong with the mount.

This is what I'm experiencing: the issue is definitely worse when it's cold. A "creak" sound is the best way to describe it. There's definitely no "grind". It kinda sounds like stress on metal or bending metal or something. I hear it mostly starting in first gear right when the clutch is almost out. I also hear it when I lean on the gas when there's a lot of torque (1st or 2nd gear). And sometimes when letting the clutch out in 2nd.

I had planned on taking the car to the dealer in the morning because I assumed it was a transmission issue at this point but I'm looking for some advice.

1. If I do take it to the dealer, should I remove the RMM first? Is that something they care about in terms of warranty?

2. Does this sound like the motor mount creaking? Could it be the flywheel?

Going to get some lube and spray it on there tonight and see what happens, but I don't like working on stuff myself and want to take advantage of the warranty as much as I can. Any advice?

I would put the stock unit back in. A. ITs possible its the mount, putting the stocker in will determine that once and for all. B. The dealer will almost certainly blame it on the mount which will waste your time.

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
Do I need a floor jack? I don't want to pay to have it swapped. I was thinking I would just pull up two wheels on the curb and get under there.

When I first got it installed, I was getting an oil change anyway, so I paid an extra $50 for them to just do it.

There's a lot that hasn't been explained yet that should be considered before you go swapping out the mount or taking it to the dealer. Do you have a reason to believe the mount is the cause? How long have you had it on the car? Did the noise start soon after you had it installed or sometime later?

If it happened right away when you had it installed, it is almost certainly related to that and you should not take it to the dealer as they will claim that is the cause and probably void your warranty. In this case, I would go back and fight more with whoever installed it. It may not be a problem with the mount itself, but they may have torqued it down too much or screwed something else up to cause the creaking.

If it happened sometime later, the mount is less likely to be the problem, but there is still a possibility the dealership will blame the mount. On the off chance it caused something else to break or whatever, you should definitely swap it before taking to the dealer.

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
There's a lot that hasn't been explained yet that should be considered before you go swapping out the mount or taking it to the dealer. Do you have a reason to believe the mount is the cause? How long have you had it on the car? Did the noise start soon after you had it installed or sometime later?

If it happened right away when you had it installed, it is almost certainly related to that and you should not take it to the dealer as they will claim that is the cause and probably void your warranty. In this case, I would go back and fight more with whoever installed it. It may not be a problem with the mount itself, but they may have torqued it down too much or screwed something else up to cause the creaking.

If it happened sometime later, the mount is less likely to be the problem, but there is still a possibility the dealership will blame the mount. On the off chance it caused something else to break or whatever, you should definitely swap it before taking to the dealer.
I installed it 6k miles ago and the noise started 3k miles ago. It definitely seemed to be the mount to me at first until the shop told me there was no problem with it (they could be lying).

Looks like it could use some spacers!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

TUX15ST

Installed my cobb rmm last night, greased everywhere metal would touch just in case and no noises at all. Took all of 30 mins for the install, prob one of the easiest things ive ever done on a car lol