Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Replacng the factory Head Unit update

antarctica24

I just wanted to share where I was with my testing.

PROBLEM: Do not want to listen to music through the factory head unit.

SOLUTION: Go around it.

For those who like the factory look and all this is not going to feel good.

The only redeeming quality in my opinion about the factory unit is the Bluetooth for the phone.

That said.....

High Res audio files is where it is at especially in the car. With Hard drives in the 3 and 4 terabyte range, You could store just about your entire musical library in your car.

https://store.mp3car.com/

This is where the power supply will come from.
The computer will be based on the ITX form factor, Very small. You could go smaller, but you need a little more processor because you are going to be up scaling audio from WAV to something better.

I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 for the task for 250.00 but sold it because I wanted something different.

I went with the Ipad Pro 12.9 inch. I know big, but it does work right below the CD slot and above the AC controls. Now, start thinking movies.......with a big sound system to back it up.

I purchased a xDuoo XD-05 Audio DSD DAC PCM DXD Portable Headphone Amplifier 32BIT / 384KHZ. This is on Ebay. It is a portable Digital to Analog Converter. The gigabyte ITX motherboard has fiber out for audio, and anything that comes out of the ipad is digital so it needs converting. Why this DAC? It uses the AKM DA chip. While this may not be known to most, normally, the Burr Brown, or the ESS Sabre32 DAC are now very popular. The AKM in the audio world is the better sounding DAC and this piece is very small.

When playing HI RES audio on a computer, there is really only 1 piece of software to use, and that is JRiver. This is a music database of sorts, but it also plays and converts stuff to DSD level quality.
The ipad has a JRIVER Remote Control program that works over Bluetooth, or option two the Ipad has Remote Windows Access app that would give me access to the computer to control JRiver.

In addition, I am using a JL Audio Signal Source Y Adapter. What this does is allow me to use the FIX82 to grab the signal from the factory amp, so I can keep access to the Bluetooth car piece in the Sync system, and my audio will come from my computer in the trunk. This computer will be about 6" x 6" x 3" square. Very small and access to an extensive library.

This sounds very interesting, I've been playing from my iPad Pro for a while but this kicks it up a bit

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #3
This sounds very interesting, I've been playing from my iPad Pro for a while but this kicks it up a bit
I just don't know what else to do. I want all of my music, but I don't want it converted to Crappy MP3 or AAC. I really like the sound of the Hi RES stuff and the DAC with the DAC chip just presented me with an option.

I know what you mean, I've looked into hi res audio players but after borrowing one I went back to my iPad

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #6
I've wanted to fiberglass fab surface mount an iPad mini in place of the headunit/touchscreen area. Similar to a Tesla.
The biggest problem is how to replace the Bluetooth. The box behind the cd slot that houses the amp xm and CD player is not required for the car to function. I completely disconnected the box and the car worked without any problems. The iPad mini would just about fit in the factory msync location. I think we could do what your talking about if we could find a place for the a/c controls. The iPad will do xm radio, nav, and phone duties, but how to get the phone to broadcast back through the sound system is proving to be a challenge. But it may be possible with what I have going on with using the pc as my audio source. With tithe sound going back through the dac, into the processor, just using the mic on the iPad may do it. Ram mount is releasing a mount for the 12.9" iPad that is locking in June/July that is what I was going to use so I could take it in and out of the vehicle.

Why is Bluetooth the problem if Bluetooth audio sucks and won't be needed??

The climate controls are completely separate and below the audio control and touchscreen area?

Use your actual phone for phone calls, leave the iPad to function as everything else.

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #8
Why is Bluetooth the problem if Bluetooth audio sucks and won't be needed??

The climate controls are completely separate and below the audio control and touchscreen area?

Use your actual phone for phone calls, leave the iPad to function as everything else.
Sorry should have clairified. I enjoy the Bluetooth phone through the system for phone calls. I'm not into using an ear piece.
If I'm going to install this iPad it will be in landscape orientation and its 12.9". So it takes up quite a bit of space. If I go as high as the other display it will interfere with my speakers which will be on the dash both tweeters and midrange. So when you install the iPad it sits just below the radio controls and just over the ac controls.

Gotcha. I personally am never on the phone. Cars too loud and I'm having too much fun driving it to blather on with humans lol. If your audio out is thru the lighting cord, can't you use the headphone jack for a separate mic and speaker wired from the original headphones?

That's why I like the iPad mini, should fit fine. I also hate the hump for the touchscreen and need that to go away.