Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rethinking the whole cobb intake thing right now after hitting a nice puddle

pwnall1337

Vendor
Our cars ride pretty low to the ground stock and I was driving home from work in the a flash flood warning and came off 281 and merged onto san pedro to be surpised by a 2 foot puddle. Lucky I'm running a stock airbox, my engine steamed and smelled like bacon for half a second. Got home and put her in the garage and wiped her down with a microfiber towel. No power loss or engine light, or anything. But somehow I felt if I had the cobb intake it would of sucked up some water the way it's designed on the FiST and pointing down into the engine bay. Injen intake isn't looking so bad now.

I really like how cobb did the short ram intake on the sti how it has a little heat shielded box to protect it from heat yet making it hard for water to reach it.

D1JL got one from a European model and made an adapter to fit ours. Look up belly pan on the dot net forum

CanadianST

I don't believe making a little box for the Injen would be too terribly hard, some sheet metal and a welder would be all you need if you wanted to make a really nice one. Powder coat or paint once you're done and it would almost look like it came with the intake. It's something I've been really thinking about whipping up.

TheStig

SRI is always my choice, seen too many motors hydro-locked from CAI's when people drive in HEAVY rain.

And it gets to 120 here, id rather suck hot air than water.

The COBB intake will utilize the complete factory airbox, so water ingestion shouldn't be an issue.

Ian

now im really considering intake changes, carb shouldnt be that bad with the factory airbox i would hope. if someone made a nice bolton belly pan i would go for that too, i could use better mpg.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
believe it when I see it... 6 mo for each part it feels like. good quality but time frame is loooong.

OP
pwnall1337

pwnall1337

Vendor
Thread Starter #14
What Ian didn't mention is they are secretly aiming for release at the last Thursday of this month.

There is a bit more woosh sound and you can definitely hear it with the windows down. But, having the intake inside the airbox really helps with IATs and performance. I'm pushing the engineering team to get production ready for release ASAP! It kills me when we can't get you guys the parts when you want them!

Ian

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
This is great feedback thanks IAN and any ideas of Stage 2 or 3 OTS tunes ??

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Oh and another post to boost my post count .. lol
Will COBB be offering the intake in any color options besides Black ??