Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rusted out seat brackets (250 mile car)

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
My car was built 7/13 and sent on a train to the port of Veracruz on the east coast of Mexico to be shipped to Florida around 7/20. About a week after that, a major tropical storm with huge amounts of rain came through that part of Mexico, and I remember being relieved that my car was out of there. I wonder if that had anything to do with what happened to your car?

Nope. It's funny bc the inside of my glass also has water marks which is odd. It's like someone left it in a monsoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know that what I'm about to say wont help much but about 2 years ago i went and leased a GTI (now i own a fiesta) but when i was there signing paperwork there was a salesman guy running someones brand new just plated VW Passat through the carwash and left the rear windows down and the sunroof open as well just like a idiot LOL I dont know if thats the case here but i just figured i would let you know just in case maybe the dealer did that. You never know! I also once seen a dealer back a brand new tahoe into the service department door when trying to get it in the shop to keep people out the rain. As sad as it is mistakes can be made. Even by the dealer :'(

OP
S
Thread Starter #25
I work in the car bizz. I've seen many things. It's possible. But if that were the case, I think many other things would be messed up too

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
"rusted out" is a bit of a stretch, minor surface corrosion is more accurate. While I haven't looked under the seats on my Fiesta, seeing some surface corrosion on the bottom of the seats doesn't surprise me. I have seen it on other cars in the past. Seat bottoms aren't given the best paint since they are not exposed to harsh conditions. I really wouldn't be worried about this. It would take decades for the corrosion to do anything to affect the strength of the seat.

OP
S
Thread Starter #30
I agree. I also have a 1990 mustang coupe. No corrosion on the seat frames. It's something I want Ford to look at one way or another.

I was going to check my seat last night, but anyway skipped my mind but i didn't notice anything that caught my eye when I pampered my leather and installed weathertech mats.

Did you check your spare tire? I would not consider this normal in any way and would expect Ford to either fix or buy back (under 500 miles is still a new car, don't put too much miles on it until you get a response...). But, that is just me and might not really happen, they might just tell me to fk off. If it was a spot of rust, i'd just buy something to treat it, but since its all over the untreated metal of the vehicle, uh.. I rather not, and since we are both OCD, this is really hard to let go.

Will it affect anything? not in the next 5-10 years, would it bother the heck out of me? Yes.

I would:
Check for sunroof leaks
Skip the dealer because they will just give you the run around or just some half baked answer 98% of the time, I have never once had any dealer resolve my problem perfectly without manufacturer getting involved, so I learned to just skip that and go straight to manufacturer.
Try to recall how many miles were on the car at delivery (more = more time spent on the road = more potential of some test driver left the sunroof open and it rained...
Call Ford, I heard they are pretty good to deal with.

I'd never buy a car with a sunroof, personally, like, you even if they paid me the value of the sunroof, I won't take it. Free car? Sure. lol (I have something VERY against sunroofs.. I am not blaming the sunroof, but its a chance!..)

OP
S
Thread Starter #32
I phoned Ford already. They are telling me to go to the dealer but the lady at Ford head office already created a case for it with the car only registering 400kms. I took delivery of the car with 88kms (have pictures to prove)

They should fix that, there's no way a new car should be like that period. Surface rust or not that's ridiculous

OP
S
Thread Starter #34
Agreed.

I am going to a Ford dealer later this afternoon and I will report back to you guys. If they elect to decline my claim, I will make as much noise as possible all over the net with photos until this gets resolved.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Agreed.

I am going to a Ford dealer later this afternoon and I will report back to you guys. If they elect to decline my claim, I will make as much noise as possible all over the net with photos until this gets resolved.
Sadly, sometimes THAT is what it takes to get a resolution (but it should NOT). [:(] [mad]

I work at a ford dealership in the parts department. We often get seat tracks in the some minimal surface rust, but nothing like that. Normally they use bare metal for interior parts or dash parts and normally don't have a problem since it shouldn't see much moisture. Go to the dealership be patient and persistent. If the situation is how you explained it should be cover under bumper to bumper.

OP
S
Thread Starter #37
The local dealer told me that I may have to go to the dealership where I purchased the car from so I will ser

. I took delivery of the car with 88kms (have pictures to prove)

Do that for everything, take pictures, save emails and service documents. Just record and document everything that happens and every interaction- unlike some I've actually had great experiences both times I've had to take my car to the dealer but I still take notes of everything...just in case.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
so I checked mine last night and the oddest thing. mine are painted...