Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

S280 & LSD

Looking for people who have this set up and can tell me what they have experienced. I'm currently running an S280 and have zero traction in 1st and 2nd at WOT. Does the LSD address this in straight line acceleration? Thanks for any personal experience you can offer as insight!

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Still breaking in my car but will keep you posted. Replying so I can track this thread. I'm running an S280, Quaife LSD, 4.3 gears, and RE71r tires. What tires are you running? That makes the most difference relative to any mechanical modification in my experience.

I was able to chirp the tires in 2nd on a stock engine; I'm sure the S280 doesn't help things.
I found stiffer RMM and tires as Jabbit says above are the biggest factors in preventing wheel hop.

In my experience, LSD was far more impactful on turn in/out than on launch.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have S280 and Wavetrac I am currently on spent RS Pro’s and going back to another set of RT660’s.
Tires matter big time in the amount of wheel spin. My RS Pro’s will spin much more than my RT660’s ever did. In fact the RT660’s had so much stick I really had to rip into them hard to get wheelspin.

The Wavtrac evened up the TQ steer pull some and that too can be affected by tires and tire wear. The more worn your tires are the more TQ steer pull you will get with LSD or without. LSD helps some but is not the complete answer to tryiing to loss TQ steer or wheelspin. I will say LSD will pull your car down the road much more with than without. I have experienced this effect in stock turbo cars with LSD and with bigger turbo the only difference is it’s less noticeable with say the S280 because it’s already pulling your car along much harder than the stock turbo.
Its really in turn in and corners where the LSD shines as it pulls your car into the Apex of the corner as you turn literally diving. It’s a very positive effect and feeling it made my car more fun all over again.
What ever one you choose I am sure you will be happy. I am glad I choose the Wavtrac .

OP
CreepyOldMan
Thread Starter #5
Super helpful so far, thanks so much. My current tires are the General G-MAX AS-05's, which still have quite decent tread left on them. Being 'ultra high-performance all seasons' and having the reviews to back it up I'm fairly confident that even with super sticky summer tires I'd be spinning quite a bit. I live in NW Washington so we get about 5 weeks of 'summer' per year. We still haven't had anything resembling even a 'Spring' this year and it's near the end of June! Tough for me to buy tires for 5 weeks out of the year, but if it made all the difference in the world I'd do it.

So I just went for a drive and from a roll or from a dig at WOT in 1st gear my car spins straight to redline in about half a second. What changes with an LSD in this situation specifically? Does it spin then grip? Spin to redline a little slower? I'd really be interested in specific details from any who are willing to share. Also, in 2nd gear, it's nearly the same thing. From a roll at nearly any speed it'll spin the tires to redline but it takes about a second longer and the car is actively struggling to grip a bit. But I still need to shift into 3rd almost immediately. Does this experience change with an LSD?

I'm sorry for being so specific about it, but these would be the primary issues I have with the car and unless the LSD addresses these two scenarios in a very real way I might not look into an LSD until late into my build. If it makes a big difference in the previously mentioned areas I'd be looking at doing it sooner. Again, thanks for all the insight :)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Super helpful so far, thanks so much. My current tires are the General G-MAX AS-05's, which still have quite decent tread left on them. Being 'ultra high-performance all seasons' and having the reviews to back it up I'm fairly confident that even with super sticky summer tires I'd be spinning quite a bit. I live in NW Washington so we get about 5 weeks of 'summer' per year. We still haven't had anything resembling even a 'Spring' this year and it's near the end of June! Tough for me to buy tires for 5 weeks out of the year, but if it made all the difference in the world I'd do it.

So I just went for a drive and from a roll or from a dig at WOT in 1st gear my car spins straight to redline in about half a second. What changes with an LSD in this situation specifically? Does it spin then grip? Spin to redline a little slower? I'd really be interested in specific details from any who are willing to share. Also, in 2nd gear, it's nearly the same thing. From a roll at nearly any speed it'll spin the tires to redline but it takes about a second longer and the car is actively struggling to grip a bit. But I still need to shift into 3rd almost immediately. Does this experience change with an LSD?

I'm sorry for being so specific about it, but these would be the primary issues I have with the car and unless the LSD addresses these two scenarios in a very real way I might not look into an LSD until late into my build. If it makes a big difference in the previously mentioned areas I'd be looking at doing it sooner. Again, thanks for all the insight :)
Indeed what you are describing is based off your tires General G Max AS 05 you have to remember something. First off the Tire Rack tests are done with a 3600lb BMW not a lightweight car with almost equal HP to that stock BMW . That will change the response characteristics a bit. I would dare say I would not put Generals on my car at all. They have never stood out to me as a good performance tire.
Once you start putting more power down you have to go to stickier tires which means you have to spend more. You cannot get around that if you want to cut down on tire spin also if you are still on stock wheels or wheel sizes I would strongly suggest a 8 inch wheel so you have more possible contact patch with wider tires. Do these things first if all you are trying to do is cut down on wheel spin. LSD’s are great and I think our cars should have come with them stock. Though do not spend money on it if all you are trying to do is cut down on wheel spin . I know you would spin those tires even with a LSD as I spin my old tired RS Pro’s with my S280 and wavtrac . Another word of advice also is don’t go WOT in first it’s absolutely useless anyways . Leave that to second gear or even third. You have lots of power on tap unless you are drag racing you do not need to nail it in first and for the most part in second either. As you may know by now with the S280:pulls like a freight train till redline and can live at 5500-6k with gobs power all day long . It’s one of the reasons I picked it over a hybrid.

ronmcdon

I think the wheelspin and torque steer are more or less unavoidable and a prominent feature of these cars.

I also have most of mods DPRO listed but stock turbo with cobb tune, 16x8 wheel, 200tw summer tires although I'm guessing the falken 660s make a bit more difference traction wise than the dunlop z3s I have. I have all upgraded vibra technics mounts, suspension bracing, most suspension bushings upgraded to spherical or poly. Have done everything I can think of to increase traction and decrease torque steer.

Maybe the clutch type lsd's would reduce wheelspin further vs the wavetrac, but really doubt it would be considerable.

200tw tires are okay outside of summer as long as the temps are above 40f and use your discretion with rainy weather. I think it's probably the best mods one can have for this car.

Ford Community Posts