Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SE Michigan S280 Install

rayeh

Hey folks, I'm strongly considering a purchase of an S280 or hybrid turbo but so far have been having trouble finding a shop to install. Anyone have pointers?

Use the information on this forum and install it your self if you can. Most shops don't want to touch after market stuff and even if they do it's a crap shoot if they do it right.

OP
rayeh

rayeh

Thread Starter #3
Use the information on this forum and install it your self if you can. Most shops don't want to touch after market stuff and even if they do it's a crap shoot if they do it right.
You're right about that, I'll probably end up DIY'ing it next spring if I still have the itch. Had the same problem with trying to get new rotors, pads, calipers, hose done by shops- none want to accept parts sourced anywhere but through themselves. Just got finished installing those today.

I'm about to do mine tomorrow morning, but I've blocked my time out for Monday too. I can report back how tough it is as someone who has never done a turbo before lol. I'm too broke for a shop and I like to know how to do it myself anyway, so, here I am.

OP
rayeh

rayeh

Thread Starter #5
I'm about to do mine tomorrow morning, but I've blocked my time out for Monday too. I can report back how tough it is as someone who has never done a turbo before lol. I'm too broke for a shop and I like to know how to do it myself anyway, so, here I am.
Good luck! It's a little iffy for me to do it DIY just because I'd be in a time crunch- can't do it in an apartment parking lot. Gets awkward if I had to stretch the install longer if I'm renting lift time at My Mechanic's Place or just on jack stands at a friend/relatives.

Good luck! It's a little iffy for me to do it DIY just because I'd be in a time crunch- can't do it in an apartment parking lot. Gets awkward if I had to stretch the install longer if I'm renting lift time at My Mechanic's Place or just on jack stands at a friend/relatives.
I really need to be done by the end of the day, but I'm doing an LSD install simultaneously as much of the same things for that get removed doing a turbo swap, so I fully expect things to go horrifically wrong. I honestly think a turbo swap alone is a single day job, pretty much everything is already there and it is just a matter of putting the new thing where the old thing was

haste

1000 Post Club
IF you have the proper tools and have done the research beforehand a turbo swap on this car isn't too bad. I'm an experienced mechanic and the biggest hassle for me going from a stock frame turbo to the S280 was the coolant lines. The clamps and routing was the toughest part.

Definitely not a day job for me, I could probably have it done if I worked well into the night but unfortunately the shop space I am able to borrow from my friend has come with the request not to keep him gone super late. 9am to 6pm was basically arrival, oil and coolant drain, and getting the turbo, manifold and downpipe off. I could see it being done in a day if you've done it before and nothing gives you trouble, but I generally found it pretty awkward to work in jacked up

Planning for the S280 as well. Just worried about my tune. Dont seem to have any dyno tuners in the metro detroit area any more that work with COBB.

Planning for the S280 as well. Just worried about my tune. Dont seem to have any dyno tuners in the metro detroit area any more that work with COBB.
Probably 90% or more of us here are being remote tuned, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Dyno tuning is cool and all, but it's not a necessity

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I wouldn’t dyno tune it unless I lived close to one of our top tuners (they’re all on the forums in some capacity). Remote tuning works great. Just be careful when doing pulls.

We will see what happens when I get there in the spring. I will probably by a tune to drive to a tuner on.

Well looks like I am bumping up my install to this coming weekend. Got all the parts/tune in over the weekend. Just install now. Got a friend helping (leading me on this journey) Tech/Master Mechanic and we are working in a fully functional garage. Crossing my fingers for the best results.