Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Separating Key Fob Halves for Battery- Advice?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I tried this for the first time today. I read the manual, and after you take the cover off by depressing the side tabs and take the key blade out, you're supposed to put a screwdriver in on the narrow end and start separating the halves. That part was really a bitch, there was just no obvious place to put the screwdriver and it took forever before the two halves started separating after a lot of moving it around to different places. The plastic's real soft in there and it chewed it up a little bit, but I just drove the car with it and it works fine.
Just wondering if anybody has any advice or special techniques or tools that they have used to do this more easily? I called the local Ford dealer and they agreed with me that it was really hard and said there's only one guy there that's good at it and they make him do all of them.
Full disclosure - I am not what you would call mechanically gifted.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Correct way.......

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofRVyP4PAzg

I tried this for the first time today. I read the manual, and after you take the cover off by depressing the side tabs and take the key blade out, you're supposed to put a screwdriver in on the narrow end and start separating the halves. That part was really a bitch, there was just no obvious place to put the screwdriver and it took forever before the two halves started separating after a lot of moving it around to different places. The plastic's real soft in there and it chewed it up a little bit, but I just drove the car with it and it works fine.
Just wondering if anybody has any advice or special techniques or tools that they have used to do this more easily? I called the local Ford dealer and they agreed with me that it was really hard and said there's only one guy there that's good at it and they make him do all of them.
Full disclosure - I am not what you would call mechanically gifted.
See video below for correct and easy way to do it.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the videos guys. I know how it's supposed to work, I just found it difficult to actually do.