Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Serpentine Belt Failure

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I wondered what happened to Goodyear's Gatorback belt. Had that in my previous car, for what seemed like 'ever' until a bolt holding the alternator, backed out into the belt's path. Couldn't find another GY-GB replacement at the time.

Side note, I can't imagine a serpentine belt failure, taking out an A/C compressor. So either they padded the bill or something went wrong with that compressor. The auto setting likes to run the blower motor on minimum speed setting. I always try to set the blower to 50% minimum when the compressor is running. (even though it should activate the engine fan) I only use it to drop the humidity during/after a rain (anti-mold); almost never for cooling the cabin since I LOVE >90°F weather.
Hey I remember those things, IIRC they were really rough on the hands during install but they lasted GD forever

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Again, not using the old compounds. These will last you a decade.
What's with the caps-lock BTW?
The newer EPDM compounds, and stronger thread materials, yes, will outlast the older rubber compounds and cotton/nylon threads, but under harsh enough conditions even these will 'age out'.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
That's what belt inspections are for... oh wait, THAT'S WHAT BELT (and hose) INSPECTIONS ARE FOR. 😜 If he really is a service advisor, he may have taken issue with the possibility of them padding the bill. I stand by that statement.

https://www.dependablecarcare.com/blog/how-long-do-serpentine-belts-last
<<... However, a newer belt made from ethylene propylene diene monomer, or EPDM, may last for 100,000 miles to 150,000 miles. Thus, a newer belt may very well last you for a decade. ....>>

https://www.bluestar.com/get_informed/article/the-importance-of-the-serpentine-belt/
<<....Serpentine belts can fail in a few different ways. The most serious failure is when the serpentine belt breaks completely. This is usually the result of a belt in poor condition, or a problem with one of the accessory components being driven by the belt. A failed bearing in a pulley being driven by the serpentine belt will also cause the belt to break. .... >>

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
SERVICE ADVISOR YES.

AND FOR THE LAST TIME IN THIS THREAD. AGE IS EVERYTHING STOP WITH THIS NONSENSE

OUR BELTS DON'T SHOW MUCH AGE AND WHEN THEY DO ITS PAST ITS TIME ANYWAY. AGE IS EVERYTHING.

LASTLY WITH THEM PADDING THE BILL? POSSIBLE BUT OP MIGHT ALSO BE CONFUSED. LOCKED UP COMP, THREW BELT, THEN ALSO NOTICED A WORN IDLER PULLY. NOW THATS A REPAIR I CAN SEE

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Timing belt in previous car would start stripping teeth. So an occasional inspection would catch that. I've replaced three timing belts just based on that; before it caused a problem.

With any serpentine belt, they typically start squealing, particularly on cold starts. This is a sign of wear; either of the belt or something it's driving or both.

Baring circumstance to cause premature failure, (such as bad bearings on a compressor pulley,) you typically hear them well before catastrophic failure.

I will add that belt laid flat, there needs to be gaps with the cracking. Even relatively new belts show cracks. Any cracks on the base of the belt (between the ribs) and it should be closely monitored if not replaced. Brittle/flaky material and it's past it's prime.
1641515202307.png

Among serpentine belts, Gatorback has a unique design. In addition to the aforementioned, this is what you look for. GB also has raised leading edge. I can see that's completely gone here.
1641515105491.png

<<Signs That Your Serpentine Belt Needs Replacing

Although your serpentine belt should remain intact for a long time, you may notice some signs of wear and age over time. Here are a few of them:

• Cracks in your belt

• Squealing from beneath your car's hood (in this case, your belt might be stretched)

• Battery light on

• Power steering assist not working

• Tears, nicks, or cuts in your belt

• Belt inner surface has grooves missing
If you have concerns about the state of your serpentine belt, be sure to consult a reputable technician. They can measure the amount of wear that your belt has sustained. Then, your technician might recommend replacement according to their measurement. >>

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Timing belt in previous car would start stripping teeth. So an occasional inspection would catch that. I've replaced three timing belts just based on that; before it caused a problem.

With any serpentine belt, they typically start squealing, particularly on cold starts. This is a sign of wear; either of the belt or something it's driving or both.

Baring circumstance to cause premature failure, (such as bad bearings on a compressor pulley,) you typically hear them well before catastrophic failure.

I will add that belt laid flat, there needs to be gaps with the cracking. Even relatively new belts show cracks. Any cracks on the base of the belt (between the ribs) and it should be closely monitored if not replaced. Brittle/flaky material and it's past it's prime.
View attachment 45995

Among serpentine belts, Gatorback has a unique design. In addition to the aforementioned, this is what you look for. GB also has raised leading edge. I can see that's completely gone here.
View attachment 45994

<<Signs That Your Serpentine Belt Needs Replacing

Although your serpentine belt should remain intact for a long time, you may notice some signs of wear and age over time. Here are a few of them:

• Cracks in your belt

• Squealing from beneath your car's hood (in this case, your belt might be stretched)

• Battery light on

• Power steering assist not working

• Tears, nicks, or cuts in your belt

• Belt inner surface has grooves missing
If you have concerns about the state of your serpentine belt, be sure to consult a reputable technician. They can measure the amount of wear that your belt has sustained. Then, your technician might recommend replacement according to their measurement. >>
There are also a newer breed of Rubber style belts that don't crack over time and you must use a gauge like they use on a tire and measure the depth as they wear down like a tire*

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
There are also a newer breed of Rubber style belts that don't crack over time and you must use a gauge like they use on a tire and measure the depth as they wear down like a tire*
I'm-a get that when the time comes.