Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shift from 1st to 2nd really difficult? Anyone?

When I shift from 1st to 2nd, the shifter doesn't want to go. It's very clunky and difficult. Almost like it's stuck. I have to give it a lot of force and jam it quickly in order for it to be smooth. It feels like there are several resistance points. It's hard to describe but shifting into other gears is smooth and easy. Is something wrong? I don't know anything about the mechanics of manual trannys. I've got 6500 miles. Only mods are Mountune MP215 + FMIC at about 4500 miles. I swear the clutch and shifter were smoother after the Mountune service and the shifter has gotten very rough in the past 500. But I'm not sure those mods could affect shifting?? Any input would be appreciated.

Sounds like binding where the the linkage or shift lever are just where they're not supposed to be. Be odd though with such low miles...
Great thing is we have that warranty.

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
Sounds like binding where the the linkage or shift lever are just where they're not supposed to be. Be odd though with such low miles...
Great thing is we have that warranty.
So is that a "take it in" comment? Thanks for the info. I drive 100+ miles/day for work so it's a real pain to take it in. I will f I need to obviously. Just wondering because I have no idea if this is a real issue and don't want to waste my time if I don't have to :/

So is that a "take it in" comment? Thanks for the info. I drive 100+ miles/day for work so it's a real pain to take it in. I will f I need to obviously. Just wondering because I have no idea if this is a real issue and don't want to waste my time if I don't have to :/
I feel you.

When I shift from 1st to 2nd, the shifter doesn't want to go. It's very clunky and difficult. Almost like it's stuck. I have to give it a lot of force and jam it quickly in order for it to be smooth. It feels like there are several resistance points. It's hard to describe but shifting into other gears is smooth and easy. Is something wrong? I don't know anything about the mechanics of manual trannys. I've got 6500 miles. Only mods are Mountune MP215 + FMIC at about 4500 miles. I swear the clutch and shifter were smoother after the Mountune service and the shifter has gotten very rough in the past 500. But I'm not sure those mods could affect shifting?? Any input would be appreciated.
If you do decide to take it in, please let me know so I can check into some options.

Meagan

Did you ever figure out what was wrong? My car isn't very difficult but it definitely feels a bit clunky going from 1st to 2nd

Did you ever figure out what was wrong? My car isn't very difficult but it definitely feels a bit clunky going from 1st to 2nd
Check the upper motor mount. Mine was very rough and clunky(easy to slip the shifter into gear) when getting off clutch. Sheered the motor mount bolt. Dealer put a new mount and bolts in. Shift is wayyyy better. Either the bolt was loose or the rubber was torn in the mount before the bolt snapped.

Ok thank you for the advice. My car seems to have smoothed out quite a bit since I made that post. Finally fully broken in I think. I will definitely check up on it tho.

Changing out the rear motor mount tends to help out big time. I've had customers come in with that issue, and we've replaced it with this part, the COBB RMM which we keep in stock pretty much exclusively for the clunking that occurs on this car. Really inexpensive and a very easy install too:

*Cobb Rear Motor Mount for 2014+ Ford Fiesta [MK 7.5 JA8 ST180]

[video=youtube;QVsWbRwydoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVsWbRwydoI[/video]