Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shift Linkage

Has anyone successfully removed/replaced the shift linkage cable? I'm trying to push on the bracket that holds the cables together at the firewall from under the car while someone pulls on the cable from inside the car, but the darn thing is getting caught on the threads. Any ideas on how I can get it out?

EDIT: So it turns out the HVAC box is in the way. I don't see how else I'm supposed to get the cable out without taking the whole dash apart. Unless I pry bar and pray. Any ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:
Why are you removing the cables?

In your last picture it's clear the HVAC box is hindering removal. You could try to pry to gain clearance, but I suspect something is going to break there and still not sure you'd get enough clearance.

The service manual shows it's a two man job and they show the interior cabin area clear of obstruction, so presume you must remove HVAC and dash. Sounds like a major PITA.

Attachments

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
Why are you removing the cables?

In your last picture it's clear the HVAC box is hindering removal. You could try to pry to gain clearance, but I suspect something is going to break there and still not sure you'd get enough clearance.

The service manual shows it's a two man job and they show the interior cabin area clear of obstruction, so presume you must remove HVAC and dash. Sounds like a major PITA.
Thanks for the reply. My shift cable snapped and I'm trying to replace it. It's the last thing I have to do for this job. I have yet to try and pry at it.

As for the dash and HVAC removal, that's my absolute last resort. I wouldn't know where to start with disassembly.

Where did you get those images by the way?

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
OP
D
Thread Starter #6
Good news!

Turns out that all you need to do is pry up on the bracket that bolts onto the firewall from inside the car so it can clear a little bump, while someone underneath pushes/guides it as it gets pulled into the interior. Enough jiggling around should get it loose. Don't forget to push in those metal clips that are shown in the above reply. The cables also have heat shielding fabric that can get the assembly stuck the in the firewall. I suggest cutting it off so that doesn't happen. I'll probably do the same to the replacement ones before installation and wrap it in heat reflective tape once installed.

But alas, turns out I ordered the wrong cable assembly. I'm assuming it was for a manual SEDAN fiesta. The cables were way longer than the ST ones. The part number should be D2BZ-7E395-A. So now I gotta wait on that.

Luckily the hard part is over and the rest is just reassembly.

EDIT: Grammar. Correct part number added. Here's the link: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-shift-control-cable-d2bz7e395a?c=bD0yJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMmYT1mb3JkJm89Zmllc3RhJnk9MjAxNSZ0PXN0JmU9MS02bC1sNC1nYXM=

Last edited: