Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shock dyno/tuning

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #2
I think this article will clear up some of the mystery 🔎

Fusion Works

About how shocks will moisten your driving experience? WTF, apparently the author doesn't know the difference in damping and dampening. They are two entirely different things. LOL

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #4
About how shocks will moisten your driving experience? WTF, apparently the author doesn't know the difference in damping and dampening. They are two entirely different things. LOL
There’s compression damping and rebound damping. Basically the shock controlling the spring

Fusion Works

I understand how shocks work. The author of the article doesn't understand how english works and it hurts the credibility of his article.

A shock dyno is especially helpful in determining the condition of shocks. With time and use, many shocks will lose the ability to sufficiently dampen. This could be a result of damage, wear or improper use. Whatever the case may be, it is important to have a quantifiable means to determine the condition of shocks before moving forward with costly repairs or replacements.
The shocks damp motion, not moisten motion. Dampening is wetting something down. Not the same thing.

I give the author credit, they actually put useful information in the article and they used CVP plot which actually paints an accurate picture of what is happening inside the damper. Most shock builders "lie" and conceal the truth by using a PVP chart. Thus hiding what their shocks actually do and not really telling the customer anything useful about the shock. Also love the shock builders that zero the charts. That also doesn't tell the actual story of what the damper does in the real world.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Then there's high and low speed dampening, not vehicle speed related.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Fusion Works

If you have any high speed and low speed dampening perhaps you should check with a doctor?

Dampers damp oscillation, they don't make things wet if they are working properly.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
If you have any high speed and low speed dampening perhaps you should check with a doctor?

Dampers damp oscillation, they don't make things wet if they are working properly.
I did better, I went from velocity squared to adjustable orifice .

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #11
The other thing that is overlooked is that if coilovers aren’t dynoed you wouldn’t know where to set them. After seeing the results of each shock one may need to be set at a low setting and one at a high setting etc for the car to sit correctly. Without it it’s all guessing. Shocks and struts have much less variation because they aren’t adjustable

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #13
Huh? You can set them all at the same settings but that doesn’t mean they are acting the same way due to variations from the manufacturer hence the need for a shock dyno

Fusion Works

If you have cheap stance type shocks, but quality shocks from a Bilstein, Penske, MCS, JRZ, SACHS, Etc will over lay within 2-5%. I can take two Bilsteins off the shelf for say a Miata and the two front shocks will pretty much over lay. Cheap shocks not so much. The Chinese/Taiwan shocks are all over the place.
Bilstein has the best quality control of any of the OE sized shock manufactures. Their shims and pistons are extremely well controlled. I can pretty much grab the same shims from the box and assemble the shocks and they will be the same. If you dyno them, they will almost 99% of the time over lay. For a street car, they will always be close enough. For a track car, I might spend the time to dyno it and chase the extra few percentage.

A quality supplier will never let shocks out of the door with enough variance that would require running a "6" on one corner and a "7" on another corner in order the balance the forces.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #17
Shock matching for coilovers is what I was getting at.

Fusion Works

Don't use those guys as an honest reference for shock info. They say one thing and do another. They first claim the CVP is the best chart then they turnaround one paragraph later and say they like to use the PVP for their customers. The PVP chart really isn't useful for anything beyond sorting out a problem at one point in the shock's motion. The CVP shows the truth about the shocks and that is why most shock builders don't show those to the customer. It will show what they don't want you to see. (weather they are good at what they do and are honest)

This chart is not one shock, its a PVP and it looks like they either mixed up several shock curves or their shocks will never follow a trend when adjusting their knobs. Those curves should have the same general curve shape, only scaled up or down the chart.

The "shock with bad hysteresis. looks like they just degassed the shock. No shock is that bad unless there is a problem. The shock dyno they show for the "temperature" test is kinda BS. No shock runs at 340deg. You run a shock that hot and its possible to lock it up. Over about 250deg you seriously have issues with the oil cooking itself to death, beyond that you have expansion issues inside the shock that can lead to binding or excessive blow by especially with dissimilar metals inside the shock and the body.

They are trying to explain their business, but they are obfuscating the whole picture. Thats common in the shock industry.